What's new

Ruth Minshull & The Tone Scale

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
"The only answers would seem to be the permanent quarantine of such ['1.1, or covertly hostile, low-toned'] persons from society to avoid the contagion of their insanities and the general turbulence which they bring into any order, thus forcing it lower on the scale, or processing such person until they have attained a level on the tone scale which gives them value.
In any event, any person from 2.0 down on the tone scale should not have, in any thinking society, any civil rights of any kind, because by abusing those rights he brings into being arduous and strenuous laws which are oppressive to those who need no such restraints."
Of course, he later came up with a better solution.
Nowadays, most of these individuals may be found slaving in the Sea Org.

AnonKat

Crusader
"The only answers would seem to be the permanent quarantine of such ['1.1, or covertly hostile, low-toned'] persons from society to avoid the contagion of their insanities and the general turbulence which they bring into any order, thus forcing it lower on the scale, or processing such person until they have attained a level on the tone scale which gives them value.
In any event, any person from 2.0 down on the tone scale should not have, in any thinking society, any civil rights of any kind, because by abusing those rights he brings into being arduous and strenuous laws which are oppressive to those who need no such restraints."

"There are only two answers for the handling of people from 2.0 down on the tone scale, neither one of which has anything to do with reasoning with them or listening to their justification of their acts. The first is to raise them on the tone scale by un-enturbulating some of their theta by any one of the three valid processes. The other is to dispose of them quietly and without sorrow."

"The sudden and abrupt deletion of all individuals occupying the lower bands of the tone scale from the social order would result in an almost instant rise in the cultural tone and would interrupt the dwindling spiral into which any society may have entered. It is not necessary to produce a world of clears in order to have a reasonable and worthwhile social order; it is only necessary to delete those individuals who range from 2.0 down, either by processing them enough to get their tone level above the 2.0 line - a task which, indeed, is not very great, since the amount of processing in many cases might be under fifty hours, although it might also in others be in excess of two hundred - or simply quarantining them from the society.

A Venezuelan dictator once decided to stop leprosy. He saw that most lepers in his country were also beggars. By the simple expedient of collecting and destroying all the beggars in Venezuela an end was put to leprosy in that country."

Gotta love that 'Science of Survival'.

Zinj

It reminds me of a perfectionist doing gardening In the end his garden was totally empty of plantlife. If you do away with underclass a new underclass will form and so on and so forth. In the end you will have killed everybody.

The Great Zorg

Gold Meritorious Patron
Been there

Yeah, Zorggie, I bought all that "tone scale" crap too. Really thought it was hot schoidt on a log and was better than anyone else had ever come up with regarding human emotions. Of course I didn't know a fugg'n thing about emotions. Hubbard's crap was just a tool I could use to get some of my own ego bloat in discussions with my fellow victims called "college students" at the time.

Yup, been there, done that. I was armed with the ammunition of the 'knowingness" of the 'tone scale'. I never stopped once to critically consider as to whether or not it was a correct analysis of human emotions and their interaction and levels. Who is really to say than an angry person is at 1.5 and so, is 'below' say, boredom (2.0 or whatever) and thus requiring actions to bring them 'up'. Maybe anger is already higher, like at 2.149 3/4 and is a stronger and more reactive emotional state than is a detached person chronically bored and at 1.922 and loose change? :confused2:

State anything with authority and punish those who do not accept it in toto and you end up with Scientology, and NAZI's, and... maybe we're just an insane species? :confused2:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
The certainty people have in the tone scale is not completely misplaced. At the lower tones, it closely resembles that stages of grief. While I consider many of the statements and ideas that Hubbard had to be bigoted, I do see a correlation between stages people go through after experiencing various impacts and the tone scale. Hubbard used it to justify exploitation of or subjugation of other beings/people. That doesn't mean there isn't some understanding, there. The specific tones were Hubbard's creations, but the concept of the tone scale, I think, is a sound one.

Ummmm...

I knew someone who had a copy of her book. I loved it, and read it twice. Not sure how I'd find it now. I'd probably enjoy her style of writing, but protest lots of specific points.

I was also very fond of that book by someone else "When in Doubt, Communicate", and occasionally would ask in vain for it at the bookstore. That book's title really seemed to sum up what I thought scientology, the organisation and the philosophy was really all about. :eyeroll:

Actually, I think she wrote that one too...a couple she authored with someone else...I'm glad she's still alive and writing. Wish she would write HER history of Scientology!!! :thumbsup:

TalleyWhacker

Patron with Honors
I enjoyed her books. Back around 1974ish she came to the local mission and gave a tone scale workshop that I enjoyed.
She was a very decent person.
There was another book that a woman wrote that was all about the 2nd dynamic. Just a compliation of 2D stuff sorted from the works of Hubtard but well organized.
It too was pulled and tossed.
Of course, it was money, money, money and ego, ego, ego.
That's what it's all about.

I 've got it!

I enjoyed her books. Back around 1974ish she came to the local mission and gave a tone scale workshop that I enjoyed.
She was a very decent person.
There was another book that a woman wrote that was all about the 2nd dynamic. Just a compliation of 2D stuff sorted from the works of Hubtard but well organized.It too was pulled and tossed.
Of course, it was money, money, money and ego, ego, ego.
That's what it's all about.

Hey, Talley, I have that book! Now out of print...Ron's writing really was benefited by some decent editing.

Look at it this way, shutting down "the competition" (in Ron's mind) created an opening for lots of folks to recreate a better scene, thus all the squirrels and off shoots, etc. So maybe, in a strange way, it was a blessing in disguise. :confused2: I dunno. I still wish Ruth would write a history of Scientology book. She'd be great at it! (Not like there is any dearth of stories from any decade...)

xenusdad

Patron with Honors
Can anyone explain how the tone scale almost universally (in scientology literature anyway), has the level of Enthusiasm at 4.0 yet in the new GAK Handbook For Pre-Clears, it's at 11.0?

Arthur Dent

Silver Meritorious Patron
Interestingly, this is her only reference to Hubbard (or scn.) on her site: “Wanting to be happy is the biggest swindle in the universe. One would be miserable if he were happy. What one is seeking is drama, strain.” — L. Ron Hubbard

As it is her only reference to him I imagine it to be tongue in cheek.

I still have her Tone Scale and Miracles for Breakfast contraband.

Telepathetic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I seem to recall back in the 70's that one of the best books I read was written by Ruth Minshull. She went into detail about hubbard's tone scale shovel-fulls.

I remember thinking that Ruth had simplified what at that time seemed to be typical, complicated hubbard rantings and hypno-sci-fi. I used to think there was something wrong with me because I just didn't 'get' what he was dribbling on about. Turns out that I did get it - his dribblings were not workable or had hidden exploitation and programming. I bought and read her book: it was so clear! Then hubbard declares her as a squirrel! Figures.

Nonetheless, I recall believing that I had stumbled across great knowledge, simplified by Ruth. In recent hindsight I realized that I had bought her data, like I had hubbard's con, without question. Now I question it. I question whether or not the sequence and grouping is correct. I question the explanations from Ruth as to the root cause of the tones and emotions. I now understand that I have used the tone scale for decades, as a rule of thumb and benchmark when dealing with everyone and anyone. Now I realize that the data and conclusions may have been or even probably are: false.

The Great Zorg is thinking: (No wonder I stopped my self-deprogramming a year or two ago! Too much introspection to handle all at once!).

Any ideas and comments about the tone scale and Ruth's approach to it?

I also read the book in the late 70s and like you I thought it was much easier to understand than Blubbers' version.

But as far as using the tone scale now, I say:

Fuck the Tone Scale and fuck analizing people all the time. That's my current view on this subject.:D

If I don't like somebody I just don't hang out with them...period. Though I find few people that I dislike, now that I'm OUT!:thumbsup::D

Nothing to fight for, nothing to defend any more! I am like a free flowing river now because that damn dam is gone...forever and ever!

TP

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron
I knew someone who had a copy of her book. I loved it, and read it twice. Not sure how I'd find it now. I'd probably enjoy her style of writing, but protest lots of specific points.

I've seen copies on eBay, for what it's worth.

xenusdad

Patron with Honors
Inflation?
Spinal Tap Engram?

Zinj

Yes, I'm going with the Spinal Tap Incident Engram, 76 trillion trillion years ago a young comedian cum prophet named David came up with the idea of making ten into eleven as it was one more, thetans of course, didn't like this and so enthusiastically renamed the new eleven, ten.

Shee-it I accidentally stumbled upon (some folks left it lying around) on new OT10 and 11, fuck, it's really very old, not new, not new, it's old, old, old, now get that through your skull! And don't let me not hear someone not say that they didn't do it. I never would dreamed anyone could uncover this data. :omg: