What's new

Got out in 1983

Shane Driscoll

Hi,

I was CS at Adelaide Org in the early 80's. I left in about 83. The saddest thing about leaving (and I left the state) was losing contact with some great friends....... I allowed myself to get body routed in 1981, signed iup for a "Book 1" Auditing course and was blown away by the results when I did some Dianetics auditing on a girl who came in off the street. I then signed a 5 year contract and was sent to Sydney to do the Cont TTC and became a Course Super.

I joined the organisation because I was a young (19 year old) lad on my own in a strange city and it gave me a sense of belonging which I feel is a key to recruitment in any cult. I married a girl who also worked at the org (She was Tech Sec) and we both left together and went to QLD. Anyway...... That's basicallymy story at the moment.

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
Hi,

I was CS at Adelaide Org in the early 80's. I left in about 83. The saddest thing about leaving (and I left the state) was losing contact with some great friends....... I allowed myself to get body routed in 1981, signed iup for a "Book 1" Auditing course and was blown away by the results when I did some Dianetics auditing on a girl who came in off the street. I then signed a 5 year contract and was sent to Sydney to do the Cont TTC and became a Course Super.

I joined the organisation because I was a young (19 year old) lad on my own in a strange city and it gave me a sense of belonging which I feel is a key to recruitment in any cult. I married a girl who also worked at the org (She was Tech Sec) and we both left together and went to QLD. Anyway...... That's basicallymy story at the moment.
Welcome.
I got out in 78 and then bought my first house in 81 with the monies I'd saved up by not spending on Scientology anymore.

RogerB

Crusader
Hi,
Snipped . . .
I married a girl who also worked at the org (She was Tech Sec) and we both left together and went to QLD. Anyway...... That's basically my story at the moment.
Welcome aboard Shane!

A nice neatly told story . . . 1983, a vintage year :p it was the year the silly shit got at me as well.

Gib

Crusader
Hi,

you were a C/S in 1980's and left 3 years later.

Why?

DagwoodGum

Squirreling Dervish
I then signed a 5 year contract and was sent to Sydney to do the Cont TTC and became a Course Super.
Isn't it funny how once they can lure you into committing to a contract, they put you on a fast track conveyor further and further into the spinning spiral that is Scientology?
They don't give you any time to really question anything as there's always a "rush" involved in every cycle they put you on...
They keep you in hyper velocity at all times thus there will be no time to properly evaluate things as you're being made to train more and more and being put into information overload so that it all bypasses your filters and takes root in your mind.
You will read KSW more times than any other single document and number of times through will equal certainty and a whopper of a ser fac that will hold you in place for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Gib

Crusader
Isn't it funny how once they can lure you into committing to a contract, they put you on a fast track conveyor further and further into the spinning spiral that is Scientology?
They don't give you any time to really question anything as there's always a "rush" involved in every cycle they put you on...
They keep you in hyper velocity at all times thus there will be no time to properly evaluate things as you're being made to train more and more and being put into information overload so that it all bypasses your filters and takes root in your mind.
You will read KSW more times than any other single document and number of times through will equal certainty and a whopper of a ser fac that will hold you in place for a long, long time.
yep, that's about my experience when I joined the SO, I only lasted about two weeks before I blew, and only about a year later recovered myself.

It was like wham bam thank you ma, step right this way, plugged into the system. I did the welcome to the sea org tapes, and then started the next course called something to do with Sea Org ethics, instead of going to lunch, I grabbed my clothes and flew out the back door. I was like this is not the life I want, but I was scared shitless when I blew, I was going to be declared and fully aware of that.

ILove2Lurk

Lisbeth Salander
I was like this is not the life I want, but I was scared shitless when I blew, I was going to be declared and fully aware of that.
Good show! I suspect everyone has their "scared shit-less" moment, usually
all alone. Takes guts to leave.

I remember I picked up a copy of Bent Corydon's book, Messiah or Madman,
at a used book store years after I'd left. I sat and had to debate whether to
open it and read it, knowing if I ever went back it would cost me a ton in sec
checks. I debated for a few moments with myself whether I would EVER possibly
return . . . ever. The unequivocal answer was no. I read the book and got
all the other heretical books in time.

But there is that moment. :coolwink:

Gib

Crusader
Good show! I suspect everyone has their "scared shit-less" moment, usually
all alone. Takes guts to leave.

I remember I picked up a copy of Bent Corydon's book, Messiah or Madman,
at a used book store years after I'd left. I sat and had to debate whether to
open it and read it, knowing if I ever went back it would cost me a ton in sec
checks. I debated for a few moments with myself whether I would EVER possibly
return . . . ever. The unequivocal answer was no. I read the book and got
all the other heretical books in time.

But there is that moment. :coolwink:
ha!

After I blew I recovered myself, not back to the SO, but back to the mission, only to complete my contract with them. As it turns out I was never declared, but it was on my mind for the whole year while working at a wog job while moving up the economic ladder since I was dead broke when I blew from the SO.

Regards your comment, after I got the debbie cook email, why one day I went to the local thrift store, only to look for anything that I could resell for I sell on Ebay. I went to the book section and found the Janet Reitman book on scientology. Before I picked it up, I looked around me to see if anybody was watching me, and thoughts I had at the time were like what if somebody asks me about that book, what if they ask me if I'm a scientologist?

I picked it up and started reading it. I was nervous as hell at the time. I never bought it, I went to the local library to read it in privacy.

Operating DB

Truman Show Dropout
UGH! 1983 was THE worst year of my life all due to the increasing psychotic nature of the cult.

I'm thrilled you got out then while things were hot. I endured another 1.5 years while planning my escape.

imaberrated

UGH! 1983 was THE worst year of my life all due to the increasing psychotic nature of the cult.

I'm thrilled you got out then while things were hot. I endured another 1.5 years while planning my escape.

I’d like to tell my story, but I think it would immediately identify who I am. I’m concerned about OSA watchers. Suffice to say I spent over 10 years on Adelaide staff.

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist

IMO, the huge organization/group destructions initially started with the 1982 (franchise) Mission Holders Conference.
(I was out years before that happened.)

Last edited:

The_Fixer

Class Clown
I wasn't in for too long.
In Auckland Foundation as Dir.m Div. 2 for less than 2 years. Then routed out on Leave of Absence cos I had no money and no job back in 78.

Routed out after I got a job about 200kms away and never went back. Moved to Oz about 6 months later and eventually forgot all about scn.

Never got it all out of my system until I joined up here about 10 yrs ago and was convinced it was all a scam.

Got out quick, but took a while to wake up to it all.

TrevAnon

Big List researcher
I’d like to tell my story, but I think it would immediately identify who I am. I’m concerned about OSA watchers. Suffice to say I spent over 10 years on Adelaide staff.
Of course I don't know your situation, and it's perfectly fine to not give identifying info. Especially if you still have e.g. family in.

However, lots of people are out and speaking out using their full name: https://whyweprotest.wikia.org/wiki/Former_Church_of_Scientology_members_who_have_spoken_out

Just so you know. :)

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Don't give identifying information if it would complicate your life. I don't.
If you want to tell some stories, just change names and other identifying information.