What's new

Anonymous gets another Scientologist to leave

Wisened One

Crusader
:hifive:

Everyone, she was OBVIOUSLY very very distraught.. what is the point of splitting hairs? It seems that one fault we have learned is to over analyze things and be too critical... it is what it is a story, true or not.

It's still a story and one we can all relate to.

Lee_from_phx

Patron with Honors
This story just doesn't ring true for me.

It reads like a made for TV movie from the mid 90's that would have starred Patty Duke as the mom and Kellie Martin as the daughter. The title would have been something like "A daughter discarded" or "For the greater good: a daughter abandoned, a mother betrayed" with tearful reunions and happy endings for all. In other words, too cut and dry. Truth is always stranger than fiction.

Of course the essential events described in this story have happened to many people within the cult and certain events within the story may have indeed happened to one person in particular. But the whole melodramatic aspect of it is just too much for me to buy.

I'm not sure what the point was for whomever wrote it, other than demoralizing the enemy perhaps. Given the effective intelligence (as opposed to nominal intelligence) of the average OSA stooge, I'm sure it was quite successful. Nimrods who are blind to blatantly obvious lies would never stand a chance against a clever ruse grounded in reality.

Sowing doubt in one's enemies makes them fight themselves for you :)

Lee_from_phx

Patron with Honors
Everyone, she was OBVIOUSLY very very distraught.. what is the point of splitting hairs? It seems that one fault we have learned is to over analyze things and be too critical... it is what it is a story, true or not.

It's still a story and one we can all relate to.

That's funny, being too critical was precisely what the cult accused me of on a regular basis. Seems they don't like people who look too closely, who think too clearly, who ask tough questions and aren't satisfied by flimsy excuses.

Being critical is not a fault, but a virtue. The pursuit of truth is a demanding endeavor, one that demands intellectual rigor and brutal honesty.