What's new

Are we sure the e-meter was harmless?

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Has anyone ever researched anything that suggested that the low-level electrical current that an e-meter sends through your body might have any adverse effects?

I've read opinions that electro-magnetic fields can be harmful, with anecdotal (at best) evidence that people living under high-tension wires, for instance, have certain cancers more frequently.

Or, I wonder if it could in any way enhance the brainwashing effects that one experiences in auditing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the cult that railed against the (admittedly) harmful effects of electro-shock therapy was actually using a similar though covert technique?

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron
Has anyone ever researched anything that suggested that the low-level electrical current that an e-meter sends through your body might have any adverse effects?

I've read opinions that electro-magnetic fields can be harmful, with anecdotal (at best) evidence that people living under high-tension wires, for instance, have certain cancers more frequently.

Or, I wonder if it could in any way enhance the brainwashing effects that one experiences in auditing.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the cult that railed against the (admittedly) harmful effects of electro-shock therapy was actually using a similar though covert technique?

Good theory, Rmack.

However, E-Meter is probably the smallest problem in this whole mind fuck.
It's actually pretty fun and accurate, most of the time.
Too bad, it's based off of the wrong premise, the way I see it.
Or simply speaking, misused and abused.
Although, it's just my opinion.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Good theory, Rmack.

However, E-Meter is probably the smallest problem in this whole mind fuck.
It's actually pretty fun and accurate, most of the time.
Too bad, it's based off of the wrong premise, the way I see it.
Or simply speaking, misused and abused.
Although, it's just my opinion.

I would have to agree that it's a very small part of what's wrong with the cult, I just wondered if it contributed in any way to the w.m.f.

I've heard mention-again, only anecdotal evidence-that seems to be saying that high level OT's that have spent long hours holding onto the cans seem to die of cancers at an above normal rate.

The body is a network of subtle energies that are poorly understood, especially by Westerners. Acupuncture has no explanation in western medicine as to why it works, but it's clearly demonstrable as producing effects.

I've actually had treatments at a chiropractor that involved jolting me with a pulsing electric current that tensed and relaxed the muscles in the area being treated that seemed to give some relief of soreness and pain.

I hope that's all that happened! :nervous:

MrNobody

Who needs merits?

I think we can safely ignore the electro-magnetic field (EMF) of an e-meter - Every power line in your household emits more of that that an e-meter ever will.

The electric current that goes from one can through your body to the other can might be a different topic. Arnie Lerma has written about that here.

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
I very much doubt you'll find that there's any harm to be had from eMeter current, nor from the EMF that the machine puts out.

The eMeter isn't a high-powered device, and there have been no scientifically proven reports of health problems arising from devices of that kind. I had a look at a Health and Safety manual, and the only hazards they ascribe to electricity concern electric shock, burns, and fibrillations in the heart. If the current is too weak to detect, it's not felt to be harmful. Contrast that with Health & Safety's reaction to many chemicals in small parts per million, and you have to believe that it's safe.

I believe that the disproportionately high rate of cancer deaths among Scientology parishioners is explained by the following:
  • Poor diet due to poverty, long hours and punishment regime.
  • Stress brought on by workload, and cultre of fear.
  • Tendency to smoke, as a result of Hubbard's nonsense about lung cancer being caused by not smoking enough.
  • Reliance on Dianetics as a cure for cancer, rather than seeking genuine medical attention.
  • Failure to provide health insurance for cult staff.
  • Limited access to health professionals, which would allow early diagnosis.
Scientology is killing people; it's just nothing to do with the Mathison Electropsychometer.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I think we can safely ignore the electro-magnetic field (EMF) of an e-meter - Every power line in your household emits more of that that an e-meter ever will.

The electric current that goes from one can through your body to the other can might be a different topic. Arnie Lerma has written about that here.

Ah, yes, I stand corrected. It's the actually current that I'm wondering about, not just a weak emf.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
I very much doubt you'll find that there's any harm to be had from eMeter current, nor from the EMF that the machine puts out.

The eMeter isn't a high-powered device, and there have been no scientifically proven reports of health problems arising from devices of that kind. I had a look at a Health and Safety manual, and the only hazards they ascribe to electricity concern electric shock, burns, and fibrillations in the heart. If the current is too weak to detect, it's not felt to be harmful. Contrast that with Health & Safety's reaction to many chemicals in small parts per million, and you have to believe that it's safe.

I believe that the disproportionately high rate of cancer deaths among Scientology parishioners is explained by the following:
  • Tendency to smoke, as a result of Hubbard's nonsense about lung cancer being caused by not smoking enough.
  • Reliance on Dianetics as a cure for cancer, rather than seeking genuine medical attention.
Scientology is killing people; it's just nothing to do with the Mathison Electropsychometer.

No doubt those can all be factors of higher rates of cancer, particularly diet and smoking. But, it's just like a lawyer once told me; your case is always a wall made up of lots of bricks.

From what I can tell, there is very little known about what kind of effects would be wrought on your body from being subjected to a small electric current for hours every week for years.

And how about the even less understood energies of the mind? I've heard that flashing lights can induce seizures in some people. What's that all about? Who knows what is and isn't possible.

My point is; I don't know, and am kind of fishing around for opinions or even better; something more scientific about what might be possible.

Stat

Gold Meritorious Patron

• Stress brought on by workload, and culture of fear.

• I think these are the main points.

G

Gottabrain

Rmack,
Aside from the potential cancerous effect at a cellular level of the electricity (not yet conclusive, but similar studies on mobile phones and such are ongoing) -

I saw a science show on TV a few weeks ago where the military conducted experiments that proved that people can affect photons they can't see, that are at a reasonable distance (though in the same room), enclosed in a metal container. Fascinating stuff. The photons would group, ungroup, move, etc. in direct response to the person's focused attention. Similar experiments were used to show a person's DNA and/or emotions affecting other things.

http://www.slideshare.net/mpeniak/scientific-evidence-for-a-connection-between-mind-and-matter

Here's an interesting finding from a different scientific experiment:

"31.Experiment X.
Bruce H. Lipton demonstrated that genes do not control our health and lives as many often think
After denucleation, cells are equally intelligent and their later death is caused only by their inability to respond to new, previously unknown situations
A membrane is the “brain” of a cell and not its genes containing nucleus
The membrane contains receptors and effectors that communicate with a surrounding environment, which gives a cell intelligence
Cells have self receptors, which tune to external environmental signals carrying the identity information
(Lipton 1977a, 1977b, 1991, 1992, 2004)"
http://www.slideshare.net/mpeniak/scientific-evidence-for-a-connection-between-mind-and-matter

I believe the combination of focused thought and electricity could possibly affect cells or cell groupings in an adverse way at an atomic or molecular level. Certainly this constant bombardment is something the cell membrane is unaccustomed to dealing with that they would probably not have the ability to respond to defensively. Particularly on the OT levels, where we've seen far too much death by cancer of OTs under the delusion they are auditing BTs when they may actually just be harming cells. And these people audit every day, often for hours, for years on end.

Rmack

Van Allen Belt Sunbather
Rmack,
Aside from the potential cancerous effect at a cellular level of the electricity (not yet conclusive, but similar studies on mobile phones and such are ongoing) -

I saw a science show on TV a few weeks ago where the military conducted experiments that proved that people can affect photons they can't see, that are at a reasonable distance (though in the same room), enclosed in a metal container. Fascinating stuff. The photons would group, ungroup, move, etc. in direct response to the person's focused attention. Similar experiments were used to show a person's DNA and/or emotions affecting other things.

Here's an interesting finding from a different scientific experiment:

"31.Experiment X.
Bruce H. Lipton demonstrated that genes do not control our health and lives as many often think
After denucleation, cells are equally intelligent and their later death is caused only by their inability to respond to new, previously unknown situations
A membrane is the “brain” of a cell and not its genes containing nucleus
The membrane contains receptors and effectors that communicate with a surrounding environment, which gives a cell intelligence
Cells have self receptors, which tune to external environmental signals carrying the identity information
(Lipton 1977a, 1977b, 1991, 1992, 2004)"

I believe the combination of focused thought and electricity could possibly affect cells or cell groupings in an adverse way at an atomic or molecular level. Certainly this constant bombardment is something the cell membrane is unaccustomed to dealing with that they would probably not have the ability to respond to defensively. Particularly on the OT levels, where we've seen far too much death by cancer of OTs under the delusion they are auditing BTs when they may actually just be harming cells. And these people audit every day, often for hours, for years on end.

Wow. This looks like a huge can of worms that we all are going to have to eat a spoonful of sooner or later.

It's probably not a good idea to run electrical current through your body for long periods of time, but it's done every single day in hospitals around the world and I don't see any evidence of people getting longterm adverse effects from EKG monitors or getting addicted to them.

If the miniscule current of an e-meter can mess you up, then a device like this will really mess you up ... big-time.

http://www.amazon.com/Ab-Belt-TV-Flex-Free/dp/B004BGN790/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

uniquemand

Unbeliever
This theory has been beaten to death and IMO has no basis in reality, the major proponent for a while was Arnie Lerma.

Disinfected

Patron Meritorious

Yes, e-meters do cause cancer. But only the white models.

A.K. Myers

Patron with Honors
I seriously doubt the small amount of current by itself could do
much harm, but what about the effects of electrolysis and corroding
metal?

I recall the horrible smell of metal that was literally cooked onto my
preclear's hands during long sessions in the warm auditing rooms. I
recall having to replace my cans frequently and can still envision the
palm and finger prints etched on the surface of the tin.

Surely, exposure to that much metal can't be good for you. I wonder
which organs we were "electroplating?"

:coolwink:

AnonKat

Crusader
I seriously doubt the small amount of current by itself could do
much harm, but what about the effects of electrolysis and corroding
metal?

I recall the horrible smell of metal that was literally cooked onto my
preclear's hands during long sessions in the warm auditing rooms. I
recall having to replace my cans frequently and can still envision the
palm and finger prints etched on the surface of the tin.

Surely, exposure to that much metal can't be good for you. I wonder
which organs we were "electroplating?"

:coolwink:

THIS small current is small.

MrNobody

Who needs merits?
I've heard the word "small" a few times ITT, and it's meaningless. About how many Volts and Amperes exactly are we talking here? AC ore DC? Pulsed or constant?

And high rates of exposure to toxic elements in their normal environments.

A lot of the facilities owned by the Co$ have histories involving toxic substances and have been subsequently used by public & SO staff as well as 'reconditioned' by SO staff, usually not in conditions where great attention was paid to environmental safety. Recent reports of asbestos on the Freewinds lends credence to such speculations. Big Blue was an old medical facility and was in terrible condition back in the late '70s, no telling what sorts of hazardous materials were imbedded within its structure.

Mark A. Baker

G

Gottabrain

Good points, Mark.

There were no asbestos at Big Blue when the C of S bought and renovated it in 1977, though. I've worked in the ceilings and on the walls and floors and verified this with every RPF or EPFer I knew who was there and worked on the renos. Heaps of fiberglass, but no asbestos. So it was already removed before the sale or wasn't used at the time the old Cedars Sinai hospital was built. And none of the renos we did involved asbestos, then or afterwards.

I know there's some LA law firm that states every major old LA building had asbestos, but Big Blue was clean and so was the Manor (Celebrity Center). The Hollywood Blvd building that was used for SO berthing and the test center is suspect, though - I recall a private conversation with the Estates Mgr there stating this some time in the early 80's.