What's new

Hi, long-time Ex who just found this site

ToeOut83

Patron
Hi, I was active in Founding Church of DC (Washington DC) in the mid-to-late 70's. I've been digging in my memory and can't recall what exact year my wife and I started together, nor which year I did a Doubt Formula and cycled out. I was never staff but I did do a lot of volunteer work, manning the "Personality Test" Body Router tables and selling DMSMH books in shopping mall parking lots, among other things. I trained as a Dianetics Auditor but never completed my internship. Sad to say, I gave away my Mark V E-meter to a practicing Scylon. It would have made a great conversation piece if I'd kept it. :yes:

My wife did leave her Wog job to join staff (not very smart on the Church's part; She made a lot more money than me, so the Org's income stats suffered. She was willing to spend it all on auditing & training.) Eventually she joined SO and signed her billion-year contract and within the year we agreed to a divorce. I still hung out with her and friends in the Church for awhile, until I finally "pulled my toe out of the exit door and let it snap shut behind me" in '83, years after she'd re-married and moved to Clearwater.

I just recently discovered this site and have been lurking and reading for a couple weeks now, and I have to say it's encouraging to learn how badly the Church is doing. I'm also fascinated to find out how much was going on while I was In, that I didn't know about; and since. I lost track of my ex-wife when she moved (no permanent address or phone number) and haven't seen or heard from her since early '84 when I visited Clearwater. In the interest of brevity, I'll save that story for another time. I'm hoping to find whether my Ex is still in and hoping she isn't. Most of all, I hope she and her 2nd husband both left with their children and are still happily married.

I've looked over the epic FCDC-in-the-70's thread, read the first 30-odd pages, and it's probably my next stop, now that I've introduced myself; but I will welcome anyone to respond here who might have known me or friends that I knew. I think I"m too small a fry for the Sci-Spies to bother with, but I still think I'll remain anonymous for right now.

I'm glad to be here among people who understand the Sci-fie experience.

The_Fixer

Class Clown
Hey TO, and welcome.

I understand your need for anonymity, but it's going to be kinda hard for anyone to help you out there without any info to go on.

Unfortunately, I think you may have given out enough info for certain parties to figure you out, for the most part.

Hopefully, if she is on this board and sees this... maybe?

Good luck.

But it is probably a wise move to remain anonymous until you figure out the wind direction, speed and the odour it is carrying...

Leland

Crusader
Welcome! I got started at FCDC also, around 1972. Left in 1973. Got out in 2000. Long haul as a scion. Glad I'm out now.

ToeOut83

Patron
Welcome! I got started at FCDC also, around 1972. Left in 1973. Got out in 2000. Long haul as a scion. Glad I'm out now.

Hi Leland. We would have just missed you then. I'm pretty sure we didn't start earlier than '74. But I probably knew some of the same people you did. It's late here on the East Coast USA, so I'm going to wait 'till tomorrow to start rooting in the FCDC '70's thread.

@Fixer: Hi, and as for the Sci-Spies rooting out my identity, I'm not too worried. I'm small fry and they're welcome to waste their time on me. :biggrin:

MissWog

Silver Meritorious Patron
Hi, I was active in Founding Church of DC (Washington DC) in the mid-to-late 70's. I've been digging in my memory and can't recall what exact year my wife and I started together, nor which year I did a Doubt Formula and cycled out. I was never staff but I did do a lot of volunteer work, manning the "Personality Test" Body Router tables and selling DMSMH books in shopping mall parking lots, among other things. I trained as a Dianetics Auditor but never completed my internship. Sad to say, I gave away my Mark V E-meter to a practicing Scylon. It would have made a great conversation piece if I'd kept it. :yes:

My wife did leave her Wog job to join staff (not very smart on the Church's part; She made a lot more money than me, so the Org's income stats suffered. She was willing to spend it all on auditing & training.) Eventually she joined SO and signed her billion-year contract and within the year we agreed to a divorce. I still hung out with her and friends in the Church for awhile, until I finally "pulled my toe out of the exit door and let it snap shut behind me" in '83, years after she'd re-married and moved to Clearwater.

I just recently discovered this site and have been lurking and reading for a couple weeks now, and I have to say it's encouraging to learn how badly the Church is doing. I'm also fascinated to find out how much was going on while I was In, that I didn't know about; and since. I lost track of my ex-wife when she moved (no permanent address or phone number) and haven't seen or heard from her since early '84 when I visited Clearwater. In the interest of brevity, I'll save that story for another time. I'm hoping to find whether my Ex is still in and hoping she isn't. Most of all, I hope she and her 2nd husband both left with their children and are still happily married.

I've looked over the epic FCDC-in-the-70's thread, read the first 30-odd pages, and it's probably my next stop, now that I've introduced myself; but I will welcome anyone to respond here who might have known me or friends that I knew. I think I"m too small a fry for the Sci-Spies to bother with, but I still think I'll remain anonymous for right now.

Your ex wife..the next person's exwife and daughter, the next person's exwife, daughter AND son, the next person's exwife, daughter, son and YOURSELF

ToeOut83

Patron
Hiya Toe..

I'm from NOVA but a never in and currently drunkish.. So, hiya :happydance:

Hi, Miss Wog, very pleased to meet you. Okay, if you're from NOVA, then it's after 5 in the morning for you too. If you're drunkish, it's still last night for you. I know what I'm still doing up this late. WTH are you doing still up this late? (Prolly something more interesting than what I'm doing.)

And I disagree: You're not an ass at all. :D

MissWog

Hi, Miss Wog, very pleased to meet you. Okay, if you're from NOVA, then it's after 5 in the morning for you too. If you're drunkish, it's still last night for you. I know what I'm still doing up this late. WTH are you doing still up this late? (Prolly something more interesting than what I'm doing.)

And I disagree: You're not an ass at all. :D
Now it is 5:30am drunk for me... I'll be back.. Gotta go bye bye before the sun comes up!

rich

Hi Toe out , welcome. Do you have an '83 car with toe out tires? What happened in '83?

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron

Welcome Toeout!

:party::party::party::party::grouphug::dance2::dance2::flowers::flowers2:

Intentionally Blank

Scientology Widow
Welcome! Welcome!! Welcome!!! :party::cheerleader::buzzin:

I'm a never-in also. Married to a multi-decade scn. Heh - "it's complicated"

Glad you've joined us. And I'm with MissWog - your ex-wife, her hubby, their kids, their friends, their friends ex-wives, oh heck...... let's just hope they're all out. Soon :)

Blanky

ps MissWog is not an ass. She is hilarious when drinking, though ;)

Last edited:

ToeOut83

Patron
Hi Toe out , welcome. Do you have an '83 car with toe out tires? What happened in '83?

HI, Rich. I stopped actively participating in Co$ sometime around '78/'79. I don't want to write an entire essay right now about my thoughts and feelings, but I had become skeptical enough to stop. On the one hand, I was eventually compelled to the conclusion that there were major bullshit dynamics in play and at the same time, I recognized there was value in the trainings. Whether it was worth what I paid for it in time, money, energy and emotional investment is an open (and moot) question but it had value for me. (It might be worth noting, in my defense, that at that time I had not encountered the Xenu myth of our history on earth. That might have raised a few more flags for me.)

So I wasn't totally convinced that $cn was founded completely on bullshit and I was unwilling for several years to burn my bridges. I still hung out, sometimes, with my ex-wife and friends still in the Church, and I deliberately avoided making waves by calling bullshit. I compared myself to someone who had left the building...sort of...through an exit door that locks behind you when you leave; only...I was keeping my toe in the door, not quite ready to let it snap shut behind me and render me completely out of the community.

Part of that toe-in-the-door syndrome, up until '83, was that I declined to try any of what $cn called "Other Practices" (cue sudden loud sinister music). Because I was given to understand that if I ever did want to return to the Co$ fold, I would have to undergo a long hard extensive (and expen$ive) proce$$ to undo all the damage the Other Practices (sudden loud sinister music) would implant in my mind.

In October 1983, my life was pretty great and I decided to take the advice of some good friends whom I respected and admired, and took a 4-day training in a private, for-profit, New Age/Human Potential-type company: In other words, an Other Practice!! (sudden loud sinister music) When I signed up and put my money down, I thought of it as slipping my toe out of the $cientology exit door and letting it snap shut. It was a commitment that I was done with $cientology; and a weight off my shoulders.

So that's the origin of ToeOut83: Easy for me to remember.

(( That reminds me, does Heartbleed affect this site? )) :nervous:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
welcome ToeOut83, see ya are comfortable here already and that is wonderful. Did you mean the Software exploit/bug when you mentioned Heartbleed, cause I just googled it and then updated/patched my Adobeeeeees.. software. :thumbsup:

aegerprimo

Summa Cum Laude
Hello ToeOut83! Welcome to ESMB!
:thewave:

It does not matter that many of us exes here had been involved with the "church" for different lengths of time, different time periods, different locations, etc., our stories are similar. There are a few never-ins here too that provide excellent objective viewpoints and much more. I hope you find some people you might've known back then and where your ex-wife may be (hopefully she and her family is out).

Have you had a chance to read any of the biography books about L. Ron Hubbard? "Bare-Faced Messiah" by Russell Miller was banned in the USA for years, but now has been released. There is an excellent article about it at Tony Ortega's Underground Bunker - http://tonyortega.org/2014/03/13/ba...int-our-interview-with-author-russell-miller/ . The Kindle version is available for quick download. Anyway, it's a good book to start finding out the truth about LRH and what kind of man he REALLY was. It was one of the first ones I read (though was an HTML version at xenu.net).