What's new

Psychiatry and Psychology in the Writings of L. Ron Hubbard

Queenmab321

Patron Meritorious
People had insights that there was such a thing as an atom hundreds of years before fictional Christ came on the scene, too. This doesn't mean they split the atom, or even had rudimentary understanding of atomic structure.

Freud had a famous quote that prefigures "dianetics". However, he abandoned the approach: not because it wasn't getting great results, but because his financial supporters didn't like his "hysterical" patients recollection of having been raped or otherwise abused as children later in life (as often the "hysterics" were their own daughters).

"What left the symptom behind was not always a single experience. On the contrary, the result was usually brought about by the convergence of several traumas, and often by the repetition of a great number of similar ones. Thus it was necessary to reproduce the whole chain of pathogenic memories in chronological order, or rather in reversed order, that latest ones first and the earliest ones last; and it was quite impossible to jump over the later traumas in order to get back more quickly to the first, which was often the most potent one." - S. Freud, uncertain date (1890s)

You say Freud abandoned this approach, yet it's my understanding that the idea that repressed traumatic experiences result in pathologies which may be treated by means of accessing blocked memories using techniques such as free association and hypnosis has always been an essential feature of psychoanalytic therapy. This doesn't sound to me like a naive, inchoate understanding of the phenomenon. Also, if someone has actually managed to "split the atom" in the realm of psychiatric therapy, I haven't heard about it. However, if anyone is likely to pull it off, I suspectit will be these folks: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/scienc...-of-the-brains-mind-boggling-complexity.shtml

uniquemand

Unbeliever
You say Freud abandoned this approach, yet it's my understanding that the idea that repressed traumatic experiences result in pathologies which may be treated by means of accessing blocked memories using techniques such as free association and hypnosis has always been an essential feature of psychoanalytic therapy. This doesn't sound to me like a naive, inchoate understanding of the phenomenon. Also, if someone has actually managed to "split the atom" in the realm of psychiatric therapy, I haven't heard about it. However, if anyone is likely to pull it off, I suspectit will be these folks: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/scienc...-of-the-brains-mind-boggling-complexity.shtml

Freud abandoned systematic retrospective analysis in chains of pathogenic memories. He didn't abandon catharsis. Personally, I would prefer these folks: http://www.nrepp.samhsa.gov/ViewIntervention.aspx?id=245

uniquemand

Unbeliever
Nobody denies that, Anoncat. :) Science shows it is effective with PTSD and related symptoms. I contend it is effective with much more, and is available without any cult or money-grubbing.

AnonKat

Crusader
IMO, Van der Kolk's methods are bizarre. The tapping stuff has no scientific basis.

It's better than what fucked up american(nazi inspired) Psychiatrists came up with

At least we view our "patiënts"as human beings. I have asperger and ADHD, but I will fight for freedom for all because I can understand what freedom means

<personal attack redacted>

Last edited by a moderator:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
The "science doesn't know everything yet" I agree with. It could also be used as an argument FOR new age ideas. Is that what you want?

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/emdr-what-is-it?page=2

"How Does EMDR Work?

Even the most enthusiastic supporters of EMDR have not agreed on how the therapy works. At this point, only theories exist. By inducing the recall of distressing events and diverting attention from their emotional consequences, EMDR in some respects borrows basic principles used in prolonged exposure therapy, the gold standard behavioral psychotherapeutic treatment of PTSD. Some therapists believe that EMDR reduces anxiety. This allows patients to better take control of their upsetting thoughts. Others simply say that we don't yet understand how EMDR works. According to the APA guidelines, EMDR needs further study to more fully understand it."

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
The "science doesn't know everything yet" I agree with. It could also be used as an argument FOR new age ideas. Is that what you want?

I evaluate "new age" ideas as they come to my attention, they are not all cut from the same bolt of cloth. I'm not down on new ideas. I certainly don't think "science" has an exclusive franchise when it comes to new ideas. Especially when it involves things that it is very difficult to do science on.

If tapping your head helps make your pain go away then fine by me - tap away.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
DoD is reviewing EMDR for use within its ranks, based on it's inclusion of the tapping and other considerations. They have come up with their own version of exposure therapy (reviewing the incidents), which I forget the name of, that looked pretty good to me.

[video=youtube;xDTFIEBTOC4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDTFIEBTOC4[/video]

PirateAndBum

Gold Meritorious Patron
Tapping - from my understanding could very well be using meridian / acupuncture points which in my opinion gives it some legs to stand on.

uniquemand

Unbeliever
It doesn't give it legs, with me. I understand others have accepted the idea of meridians or lines of energy, or chakras, but I've seen zero evidence for it. It seems more like a sensation than a reality.

People had insights that there was such a thing as an atom hundreds of years before fictional Christ came on the scene, too. This doesn't mean they split the atom, or even had rudimentary understanding of atomic structure.

Freud had a famous quote that prefigures "dianetics". However, he abandoned the approach: not because it wasn't getting great results, but because his financial supporters didn't like his "hysterical" patients recollection of having been raped or otherwise abused as children later in life (as often the "hysterics" were their own daughters).

"What left the symptom behind was not always a single experience. On the contrary, the result was usually brought about by the convergence of several traumas, and often by the repetition of a great number of similar ones. Thus it was necessary to reproduce the whole chain of pathogenic memories in chronological order, or rather in reversed order, that latest ones first and the earliest ones last; and it was quite impossible to jump over the later traumas in order to get back more quickly to the first, which was often the most potent one." - S. Freud, uncertain date (1890s)

and the circumference of the earth was measured about 100 bce

AnonKat

Crusader
You're slipping. I think that Hubbard was opposed to those who could expose him, and made them enemies with a capitol E.

Okay you are online now. So;

http://edgar-hoover.tripod.com/

J. Edgar Hoover headed the Federal Bureau of Investigation for 48 years, from 1924 until his death in 1972. With his death, it was disclosed that Hoover had seriously abused his power during his tenure as FBI Director. Some of the most outrageous abuses concerned Hoover's use of FBI surveillance agents to obtain defamatory information--much of it sexual--on prominent persons to be used for political and blackmail purposes.

Former Secretary of State Dean Rusk would later say: "Hoover passed along gossip to the President he served, and that practice could raise questions in a President's mind. What did Hoover know about him? In theoretical terms, that put Hoover in the position of a veiled blackmailer."

In the case of Martin Luther King, Jr. the blackmail was not veiled, but veritable, with Hoover threatening to make information he had on King public. In the book Official and Confidential, author Anthony Summers presents evidence that Hoover had the tables turned on him and was subjected to blackmail by both the Mafia and the CIA.

J. Edgar Hoover

The following text is excerpted from the book, Official and Confidential: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover by Anthony Summers.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
You're slipping. I think that Hubbard was opposed to those who could expose him, and made them enemies with a capitol E.

Yarr mon, of this I too, have little doubt. I must have been such a juggling act/dilemma for him. In his own egocentric mind, he needed validation, in his drug-addled form of dementia he needed acceptance, mix this with the allure of power, a thing there is no doubt Hubbard coveted and admired in various leaders. Sure, there must have been all sorts of fears in his mind, but I think he had to approach many of his enemies with ego-in-hand, ie. his brain-washing manual (lol) to the feds, his blather to the real doctors etc.. And when he was shot down as a liar and a lunatic, it just deepened the hatred of those who saw through him, and resulted in a whole slew of enemies for all his little sheeples to avoid.
I have little doubt that one of the old windbag's biggest fears was him getting committed/certified, especially after all the insane crap he put his first two wives through, beatings, sexual abuse, and who-the-fuck-can-imagine-the-hells of his children.
I'm sure that by the last years of his sordid and twisted life, there was some form of regret... nothing a nice shot of Visteril wouldn't take the edge off...
Cross the street to piss on this burning man? Not a frikken chance! :angry:

Yup, so not a Hubbard fan... :no: Deviants of this nature should be dissected and studied, as well as their world, but ffs, put on the condoms!

:carryon:

Close, (half a cookie for you, but it's a really good cookie :) ) , it was Eratosthenes in 240 B.C., and many of his early calculations were amazingly accurate too :)

:cheers:

awww...

this should be good for at least 2/3 of a cookie if not 3/4

especially since i can account the means of measurement

two poles of equal length were erected about 150 miles apart on a north/south axis and the length of the shadow cast at sun's zenith were compared to give the difference in angle and simple geometry turned the trick

but it took the better part of two millenia for columbus to sail east

it shouldn't take so long for the insights gathered by elron to prevail over the wundt/pavlov/skinner "man is mud" cabal

SpecialFrog

Silver Meritorious Patron
but it took the better part of two millenia for columbus to sail east

it shouldn't take so long for the insights gathered by elron to prevail over the wundt/pavlov/skinner "man is mud" cabal

Except the arguments against reductionism are getting weaker, not stronger.