What's new

Religion/Spirituality After Leaving Scientology

Free Being Me

Crusader
Since leaving $cientology I haven't been interested with religion, spirituality, god or any philosophic dogma. Now, after several years, my curiosity is reawakening.

From an Ex-$cientologist perspective, is a religion or a personal blend of spiritual beliefs a part of your life and how does this answer what $cientology failed to address in your life?

G

Gottabrain

Spirituality is very much a part of my life. It wasn't at all when I first left Scn.

I am no longer dogmatic. I am comfortable in the belief that everyone is an individual and has their own path to follow and helping them find the balance in their own path leads to a deeper understanding of their own values and virtues and harmony with themselves and others.

When one lives by one's true values and virtues, not by the false beliefs of others of how these should be interpreted and lived, religion is not a problem, but a positive, uniting and spiritual influence that is accepting of the various beliefs (or lack of beliefs) of others in the interest of compassion and forward, positive progress.

When religions and religious leaders abuse and use their followers by interpreting their values for them for greed, power and other selfish reasons, religion becomes a trap and is no longer spiritual or positive.

Free Being Me

Crusader
Spirituality is very much a part of my life. It wasn't at all when I first left Scn.

I am no longer dogmatic. I am comfortable in the belief that everyone is an individual and has their own path to follow and helping them find the balance in their own path leads to a deeper understanding of their own values and virtues and harmony with themselves and others.

When one lives by one's true values and virtues, not by the false beliefs of others of how these should be interpreted and lived, religion is not a problem, but a positive, uniting and spiritual influence that is accepting of the various beliefs (or lack of beliefs) of others in the interest of compassion and forward, positive progress.

When religions and religious leaders abuse and use their followers by interpreting their values for them for greed, power and other selfish reasons, religion becomes a trap and is no longer spiritual or positive.

I can agree fully with what you're saying GB. I don't follow any of the big religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, to name a few). I don't go looking within them as an umbrella like covering for definitions of existence or believe the more established religions or philosophies have all the questions and answers.

Operating with a personal moral code is my basis of belief, any spiritual additions are a work in progress. Finding an individual path of spiritual values as you stated above, has been in my thoughts as a fundamental concept. After all, look at $cientologies failure: My truth is YOUR truth. A valuable lesson.

Thanks for responding! :)

Since leaving $cientology I haven't been interested with religion, spirituality, god or any philosophic dogma. Now, after several years, my curiosity is reawakening.

From an Ex-$cientologist perspective, is a religion or a personal blend of spiritual beliefs a part of your life and how does this answer what $cientology failed to address in your life?

There are several excellent world texts that can serve as a good basis for expanding your own study. Two that I routinely recommend are "The Dhammapada" & the "Tao Te Ching". Many good translations of each are widely available. I generally recommend that people go to a bookstore and examine a few and choose one which best "communicates" to themselves.

Another excellent book is the Dalai Lama's "Ethics for the New Millenium". All the more so in that what he has to say is largely non-sectarian and applicable whatever your spiritual beliefs may be.

http://www.amazon.com/Ethics-New-Millennium-Dalai-Lama/dp/1573220256

Despite the webpage the book is also available in softcover.

Mark A. Baker

Last edited:

GreyWolf

Gold Meritorious Patron
I am less religious and more spritual. I found that for me, my path was an individual journey. It is working for me and is actually one of the main reasons I was able to begin forgivness. Both for myself, and then the Scn's.

Tiger Lily

Gold Meritorious Patron
I've gone in waves. At first I felt like I needed "something" to fill the void and went on a quest for universal truth --read "A course in Miracles" the Vedic Hymns, lots of Mysticism, Eckhart Tolle -- and loved that quest. Never developed "unshakeable certainty" on anything. . . . I practice Christianity because it's the thing to do where I live and I've seen it do great things for people. . . some of the best people I know are Christians, but unfortunately I can't believe it myself. . . except on a very esoteric mystical/gnostic level.

I do think that a belief system is beneficial to people -- gives them purpose and hope and a reason to push forward. Problem is, that I think it's the "believing" and the "certainty" part that benefits people -- and I just don't have it in me anymore to decide that something is ultimate truth (been there, done that one time too many) -- but I do love the quest.

Good luck!

me myself & i

Patron Meritorious
LOL-I'm just seeing that on Facebook!

That 'is' funny.

And, all kidding aside, like any good ole cliche, it's true.

'Understanding', in the way I interpret your use of the word (which is akin to Realizing for me) fits the bill perfectly, in the beginning. .

In the end (so to speak) anger is transformed into laughter.

Lol.

Caveat Emptor.....the beginning may last many a millennium.

Last edited:

auntpat

Patron with Honors
The Lord is my Shepherd

Before, during, and after my Scn period, Christianity was my comfort and joy. I believe that my friend Jesus was by my side and that His gift of perception is what led me to distance myself from the cult, when I did.

The wonderful thing was I had the freedom to read many books that told of His life and teachings. When people ask me what what church denomination I am, I tell them I am a Gnostic Christian. Christ is my Saviour but He keeps encouraging me to keep looking for the truths of His Kingdom.

One of the ladies here in Senior Housing asked if I was a Christian. I told her yes. Then she inquired why I did not go to church. I told her I did not want to hear the lies and mis-conceptions about my friend, Jesus Christ. She hasn't bothered me since.

Our relationship is definately not one way. He is by my side at all times and teaches, comforts, argues, makes me laugh, guides my mouth and actions, and loves and forgives my sins. Because of my friendship with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost and am content.

Love and Light,
Pat

Veda

Sponsor
Before, during, and after my Scn period, Christianity was my comfort and joy. I believe that my friend Jesus was by my side and that His gift of perception is what led me to distance myself from the cult, when I did.

The wonderful thing was I had the freedom to read many books that told of His life and teachings. When people ask me what what church denomination I am, I tell them I am a Gnostic Christian. Christ is my Saviour but He keeps encouraging me to keep looking for the truths of His Kingdom.

One of the ladies here in Senior Housing asked if I was a Christian. I told her yes. Then she inquired why I did not go to church. I told her I did not want to hear the lies and mis-conceptions about my friend, Jesus Christ. She hasn't bothered me since.

Our relationship is definately not one way. He is by my side at all times and teaches, comforts, argues, makes me laugh, guides my mouth and actions, and loves and forgives my sins. Because of my friendship with the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost and am content.

Love and Light,
Pat

I don't know your views on the Shroud of Turin, but recently - this year - there have been some interesting developments regarding it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmNd8LsYPY

(It may be necessary to click the top of the video to view.)

Free Being Me

Crusader
Being willing to understand anything seems to lead to greater freedom.

Very true Nexus. The fun is deciding for yourself, not any person telling what it is.

Most likely so. Notwithstanding the old adage: The Truth Will Set You Free....but first it will piss you off.

:roflmao:

I've gone in waves. At first I felt like I needed "something" to fill the void and went on a quest for universal truth --read "A course in Miracles" the Vedic Hymns, lots of Mysticism, Eckhart Tolle -- and loved that quest. Never developed "unshakeable certainty" on anything. . . . I practice Christianity because it's the thing to do where I live and I've seen it do great things for people. . . some of the best people I know are Christians, but unfortunately I can't believe it myself. . . except on a very esoteric mystical/gnostic level.

I do think that a belief system is beneficial to people -- gives them purpose and hope and a reason to push forward. Problem is, that I think it's the "believing" and the "certainty" part that benefits people -- and I just don't have it in me anymore to decide that something is ultimate truth (been there, done that one time too many) -- but I do love the quest.

Good luck!

I have to agree, the quest part is what's sparking my interest. I've lived in a self imposed exile for so long I'm realizing It's time to look. Not necessarily believe, but look around. If some one asked me seriously what spiritual beliefs I have, my best answer would be, 'nothing is written in stone'. And thank you for the good luck, you too! :)

Free Being Me

Crusader
I am less religious and more spiritual. I found that for me, my path was an individual journey. It is working for me and is actually one of the main reasons I was able to begin forgiveness. Both for myself, and then the Scn's.

I could say the same but to me, it's defining what is really spiritual? That's why I decided to ask questions, look for myself now. No one can answer this for another person, I think we each have our own path.

Free Being Me

Crusader

Love and Light,
Pat

Thank you Aunt Pat! I've looked at Christianity. It's not for me BUT if it's right for you then I wish you all the happiness and bliss possibly ever imagined. :cloud9:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

What I liked about Scientology was it *apparently* gave a sort of nuts-and bolts view of the make-up of man and the universe, without the esoteric mumbo-jumbo. Problem is, it's loaded with Hubbard's misconceptions and lies, even if it does contain little bits of truth here and there.

In 2003 I discovered the works of Barbara Brennan, who also has a nuts-and-bolts and no-mumbo-jumbo approach to the spiritual beings we are and those who are around and interact with us. And last year I discovered Dr. Michael Newton and his extensive research into the Life-Between-Lives area. I am very happy with the research of these two, and they have provided a very useful spiritual framework for me.

Paul

Mystic

Crusader
After I left even the tech behind I at least retained enough intelligence to begin a spiritual path which is always there for anyone to do, meditation.

Fortunately I was guided to meditate in a certain way.

AnonKat

Crusader
After I left even the tech behind I at least retained enough intelligence to begin a spiritual path which is always there for anyone to do, meditation.

I advice to do Yoga with that, Mind and Body ,not onley mind

Free Being Me

Crusader
What I liked about Scientology was it *apparently* gave a sort of nuts-and bolts view of the make-up of man and the universe, without the esoteric mumbo-jumbo. Problem is, it's loaded with Hubbard's misconceptions and lies, even if it does contain little bits of truth here and there.

In 2003 I discovered the works of Barbara Brennan, who also has a nuts-and-bolts and no-mumbo-jumbo approach to the spiritual beings we are and those who are around and interact with us. And last year I discovered Dr. Michael Newton and his extensive research into the Life-Between-Lives area. I am very happy with the research of these two, and they have provided a very useful spiritual framework for me.

Paul

Thank you DOF, I will look them up later and see what these two people are about and what's offered.

Mystic, could you explain further please? A web site or more information?