What's new

Religion/Spirituality After Leaving Scientology

Veda

Sponsor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_-LHKff_g

I was really touched by this video. The field of psychiatry is considered so cold. This intimate attempt by Jung to reach his higher self moved me. I can envision the household he grew up in where his mom and other relatives were mediums and such.
When I was messing with the Excalibur Revisited materials back in 1987 we did group experiments with the Oversoul. We had an ex NOTs auditor from Riverside heading our little group. Geoff Filbert had a belief in the Oversoul.

Veda, your new avatar looks like the cover of my book MYSTICAL QABALAH by Dion Fortune. It is one of her best.
gboo0007.jpg

Yes. The cover is from a painting by Patricia Waldygo.

I was fascinated at one time reading the old apocalyptic books. The creation myths that the ancients had came from lore so old you cannot trace it. In the Secret Book of John it goes into the emanations theory I believe. Each of these I consider to be a modality of Cause. The archetypes governed by each Sephiroth or modality are worth understanding. They don't change much. To reconnect with the higher oversoul that governs your realm of operation is what our Indians did. We almost get back into to a pantheon of Gods here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zohar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sephirot
I have never agreed with this Hebrew interpretation of how I see the modalities described. I see the different domains where there are oversouls kind of like large theta bodies (s'cuse the scientologese) or minds that monitor creations. This same phenomena is a cousin to how the Archons or the Aeons were viewed in my opinion. They dominate the predicatable workings of a certain plain and keep things in their place. It was well agreed in ancient times that the if you tried to 'go up the pole' the Archons would chew you up and spit you out. Look at some of the Greek mythology.

What if there Is an oversoul that is keeping all animal life on planet earth from evolving upwards. Or determining how 'huge' plants can grow any more. Oversouls are sort of governors of an area. I never did entertain the idea that they existed 'outside' the periphery of the manifest world though, or had human-like personalities or were sub-gods. I have smacked into myself as myself outside of this charade but not the 'soul'. I have seen souls issue or be sent forth from an anchor point like a ' pawn' somewhere, but these are artificial 'splits' which are controlled artificially. I sometimes view this as a way to keep from being fully present or to keep others from being too fully present in an area. Hell, if you look at it, an Oversoul is a way for a god to have some time off and not be fully present to run a certain section of his creation. He can withhold himself from that area and go into 'action' and not feel he is controlling everything. A step down from Omniprescence.

It's interesting that the 'Tree of Life' has correspondences with Chinese mysticism, which sees the universe quite differently than do the traditional Kabbalists.

Below is a link to a depiction of the 'Tree' with the eight Trigrams used. Point at the top is Tao Teh (although Tao alone would seem more appropriate), below are Yin and Yang (__ __ and ____), and below that are the eight trigrams. (Note: In this use, the Trigrams have nothing to do with divination or fortune telling, despite their popular identification with such.)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__d48GnwHn...PfIBTk/s320/Sephirot+and+I+Ching+Trigrams.JPG

Tao is defined as the supreme ultimate, the unmanifest absolute, from which spring Yin and Yang.

An additional link that may be helpful: http://www.base.dk/microbase/philosophy/laotzu/tao.te.ching.htm

Last edited:

Veda

Sponsor
Aleister Crowley recites 'The Pentagram':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_5YdXO1VT8

"Man is the lord of his spirit."

P.S. Those acquainted with Scientology may find the Middle Pillar ritual somewhat more understandable if it's regarded as a kind of etheric touch assist.

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
:)

I am starting to look toward doing more volunteer work.....exactly what form it will take, I am not sure......

Try LibriVox, whose volunteers make free audiobooks out of books in the public domain. They accept anyone's help. It's a lot of fun, very worthwhile, and you don't even have to leave the house. The work you do will be there for future generations, not just feeding someone today.

Example: I recorded Charles Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities recently. The recording is about 15 hours long, but including the editing of the audio files (using free software) it probably took a total of about 60 hours. The audiobook is archived by the Internet Archive Org at http://www.archive.org/details/tale_of_two_cities_1012_librivox. It has been downloaded 1,013 times since December 15. That count chalks up 1 if one or more chapters are downloaded within a 24 hour period from a single IP address, so it adds up to a lot of different people listening to it.

You don't have to read a whole book. Lots of people just do single chapters. Others proof-listen, co-ordinate projects, do CD artwork etc.

Paul

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
I'll just leave this herel
Nobody EVER "gets it" or benefits by telling them how he or she is "wrong".

None of us posters get it Vin when you tell us, and you surely don't get it when any of us tell you.

So, why do people endlessly bother to try to adjust the viewpoints of others by clarifying how and why the other is "wrong"? :confused2:

But they do it.

I have lost interest in much of that game - whether about Scientology or anything else.

Here is my current view (and it will surely change as the sun rises and sets).

There is no absolute truth. None that you or me will "know", "perceive" or "understand". There are only a near infinite number of relative truths.

I like how Einstein explains the theory of relativity. In his view, there is no actual "what is it really". There is ONLY and ALWAYS what APPEARS to be real based on the condition, state, or "view" of the observer in relation to what is observed. The observer directly affects what is observed by the state or condition of the observer. This seems to be as true from a psychological view as it is true from a physics view.

We are each a very unique viewpoint, with a very different slant on all that is. We each have a very different past and totality of experience that "conditions", "modifies" or creates our dynamically changing viewpoint (whether that experience is made of one life, many lives or a near infinite number of "lives"). We each also have a very finite and extremely limited package of experiences to draw from. Sure, we each do our best, but it is what it is.

Here is my current spiritual theory - and I am sure it will also change in a day or a week, or whatever. But, whether accurate, valid or not, I do not push it on anyone else. I care little whether anyone agrees, because I truly feel what I am describing here. Each viewpoint cannot ever be the same as any other viewpoint, and none can ever really "understand" the other, not as YOU DO. And that is the value.

You are entirely unique and you are a universe unto yourself. But, so is everybody else! Each is valid - at least from the viewpoint of "all that is" (aka God, the Absolute, Universal Consciousness, etc).

So, here is my current nutty view:

There is one consciousness that created it all - the "creator". Call it "God", or call it whatever you want. One aspect of this is that the creator has a desire to experience every aspect of the creation, from top to bottom, down to the smallest, and up unto the largest, from every angle, in every way, at every point in time. That is where you and I become involved. Limited and finite points of consciousness, such as you and I, exist to see, feel, and experience some aspect of all that is. As such, we are "tentacles" of God, and there are a near infinite number of tentacles.

But, in a strange way He is We and We are He. And, I am you, and you are me . . . . . . . maybe . . . . .

I have lost interest in the "content" of my own and others' viewpoints - at least from the aspect of arguing, making them wrong, fighting, etc.

To the degree that one forgets or ignores that he or she is actually "part" of the one great creator, and that there is only ONE, to that degree do differences, separation and all the rest of the difficulties of life exist for that person.

No single isolated viewpoint, no single isolated religion, or simply stated, no single isolated anything contains the "whole truth". The "whole truth" involves all the many many MANY viewpoints taken together as a whole. That makes up the "body of God" (as it were - sorry for the metaphor).

Whatever the "truth" is (meaning the actual reality of whatever we actually are, what the universe actually is, what created it, what our relationship is to that creator, ad infinitum), neither you nor me can change it, and neither you nor me will probably get very close to a superb understanding of it any time soon. So, why bother trying to get others to agree or see it your way or make them wrong and so forth?

But, few people can honestly acknowledge that really, deep down, fundamentally, none of us have a fucking clue - outside of personal illusion and some strange desire to "be right above all else".

Damn, if only Grade 4 REALLY worked, and could actually get a person to lose all desire to "be right"!!!!!! :omg:

Here is an example of a recent experience that may help a bit on whatever it was I just tried to explain.

I live on a mountain, surrounded by about 200 acres of forest. It's nice. It is absolutely beautiful and serene. I often go for long walks, and practice "being there". Simply, be there with all of my perceptions (external and internal), with a gentle aim to silent all internal thinking and attention. I get pretty good at it sometimes, and other times I suck at it. Anyway, last week I was looking at a wonderful scene of mountains, and hills, stretching for about 30 miles, with the sounds of many birds, a few dogs barking far away, a cool breeze, a lively smell of "earth" in the air - you get the idea. I "snapped" for awhile, and became it all. Total silence. BANG! I lost all awareness of "myself", all "inner attention" vanished, and "I" was just "there" with the external environment. I suppose it could be called a "mystical experience". It was not ordinary, or something I am conscious of on a routine daily basis. I was lost in it (in a good way).

But also, and this is the key part, I have been playing a self-created game to "follow the line back to God" in my awareness. The way I decided to do that was to acknowledge the Creator of all that is, to thank the "creator", to fully recognize His/Her part in making it all possible, as I experience some aspect of this amazing creation (the universe). This involves a very interesting form of "mental multi-tasking" of ones awareness. It is not "thinking", but more an "action" of awareness. I did that as I was lost in the experience.

I swear I made contact - on whatever small degree. But like these things go, what is "real" and what is hallucinatory?

In the end I don't think it matters, as long as one removes all desire to get others to see it the same way. THAT is the bane of humanity. It is what destroyed Christianity. It has destroyed every religion ever to walk this planet. The damned urge to recruit, to proselytize, to feel and believe (stupidly) that ONLY YOUR HANDLE ON IT ALL is right, and that everyone else is wrong.

There are as many ways to see it as there are viewpoints. And, each is totally and completely "right".

The person who has truly gotten THAT, as a living reality, has possibly moved a notch "out" and closer to something a bit more grand.

As Einstien so brilliantly explained, the "truth" or "reality" is solely determined by the INTERACTION of an observer (you) with all that is or with some aspect of the universe. There is no truth outside of that. THAT is the truth . . . . . .

And, every viewpoint is "right" from where it looks, based on the total package of experiences, education, etc. Every tentacle of God is valid. But, none contain or can ever contain and possess the "total truth".

Oh, I forgot, except for Alanzo. Of course, he is always right! :omg: LOL

Fuck me. I am sorry. As usual this is WAY too long for most people to bother reading through. :duh:

Oh, and just possibly a great deal of UNCIVILIZED BEHAVIOR is caused by this slimy (my judgment that it is "slimy" and NOT a good thing) desire/urge/inclination/tendency to get others to believe it and see it and feel it just exactly like YOU do! Or like your religion does. Or like your political party does. Or as your race does. Or as your sex does. Or as your . . . . . . does . . .

As Dave Mason said in a great song on a great album - many years ago:

"But I'm happy just to be a part of all I see"

I make it a point to rejoice in the wonder of just being so lucky as to BE HERE each and every day. And to thank whoever and whatever made it all, and enabled "me" to be here to exeprience some aspect of it all. :happydance:

The universe is amazing!

THAT is what currently makes up my "religion".

Veda

Sponsor

-snip-

I am beginning to reach the point where I am acutely aware of the karmic footprint of my life. I hope, that when I cross over, that overall, the net effect of my existence will have been positive.

I am starting to look toward doing more volunteer work.....exactly what form it will take, I am not sure......

An interesting and uplifting topic.

This, from an old post:

Mr. Rogers (angel or Bodhisattva?), testifying before a Senate Committee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

Ok, I couldn't resist...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIMjYA8kE0A&feature=related

Free Being Me

Crusader
I'll just leave this herel

Thanks for placing Gadfly's post here, Panda. I like what he has to say. I'm beginning to believe everyone is 'right'. I know that's a huge generality. Every person has beliefs and in those beliefs, they are right. I notice I operate from a being right view as well. I'm losing interest with such an approach to life. Each in our own way is right.

Gadfly

Crusader
Tolle is just the latest on the chain of the same ideas of Buddhism and various forms of Hindu Yoga, where one:

1) stops thinking,

2) silences the incessant inner chatter to self about self,

3) stops the constant inner dialog and running commentary to self about everything and anything that falls into ones space, and

4) simply "operates in PT" as a point of quiet observation.

It is taking the idea of LOOKING to an extreme, while gettig rid of all thinkingness.

That notion has MUCH value! :thumbsup:

I have enjoyed anything I have read by Tolle (I have read 5 or 6 of his books).

He takes the old ideas and frames them in a way that can communicate to many in today's world.

OperatingDonkeyIV

Patron with Honors
Well said, Gadfly. I am aware of the fact that the message is thousands of years old, but Tolle is fascinating in that he represents it an authentic and yet entertaining way.

Can anyone imagine two characters more different than "Cruise Control" Tom and "No thought" Eckhard? :biggrin:

It has been a real adventure since leaving in 1998 or so. At that time I converted to a Xtianity-based religion, and left that because it was too strait-laced for me to abide by all the rules.

I also "defected" and did a long stint with Landmark Education (Landmark Forum, "The Forum", est). Contrary to lies I was told while IN Scn, it is not pirated LRH work. I got a LOT out of that without touching any past life junk, and also gained a LOT of real-world skills through my volunteer work with them, and I was on staff for a short time. That organization is plagued with its own load of internal bullshit and when I got thrown under the bus by a hormonal, pregnant lead Course Supervisor, and saw a bunch of fellow volunteers also treated badly and nothing I could do about it, I left that too.

I have gone in and out of thinking I should have some kind of spiritual life. After suffering about it enough, I let go of the whole idea - I've taken what I like from all I've done, and that is good enough for me. I have a knowing that whatever I need will come my way. I miss feeling that certain big sense of purpose I had in CoS and Landmark, but you know...it's OK. I know I have made a difference in people's lives based on results and feedback. So I don't have to prove myself like that, to myself, any more. Life is what we make it. What ever I am doing now is good - so I'm leaving lie the sleeping dog of that type inquiry.