What's new

Religion/Spirituality After Leaving Scientology

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
I have found that there are some great things about people who got involved in Scientology.

They have a natural curiosity about philosophy and religion and spirituality. And they usually have a very unique path they are following, and continue to follow.

They do not accept the standard common, milquetoast explanations for things.

And they talk a lot.

That's a pretty good combination in my book, and it's why I think that Scientology attracted some of the best people in the world.

As for me, I've been studying quite a bit of the history and underpinnings of the Bible, as well as reading and studying a lot of Plato, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and others from that time period and region.

Last year, I finished studying 5 books on the theory and practice of Tibetan Buddhism, and I have been meditating on and off - mostly off - for the last 5 or 6 years or so.

Next up, since I just bought the complete works of Plato, and a course on Plato from an online course-selling company, I am going to get through as much Plato as I can.

Then, since Paul has gotten me interested in Micheal Newton, I am going to read some of his stuff. (Not Paul's stuff, but Micheal Newton's) And now it looks like I'm going to have to look into that other woman he mentioned in this thread, too.

I truly feel that I have continued to develop spiritually since I left Scientology 10 years ago, and that Scientology was but one step along my spiritual path that taught me very valuable lessons about spiritual vulnerabilities and the corruption of truth that can occur among human beings.

I have also learned the importance of spiritual progress to me in my own life, and have been helped to see that there are a lot of choices that exist, and how important it is to keep choosing and to keep moving.

The biggest lesson I've learned after Scientology is not to let it get you down, and not to allow it to sour you on your own spiritual path.

Exes of all stripes, and even some current Scientologists, have all helped me to keep going, and have given me abundant and excellent advice, guidance and opportunities to do so.

For that I am eternally grateful to this online community of spiritual seekers.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Free Being Me

Crusader
FB,

Yes, that definition works well. Old eastern adage....."when the student is ready, the teacher will appear" (whether this be a person, book, or video). You are in for a superb adventure....... Good luck in your spiritual travels!!!!

:)

T&H, you're the second person to say that, Mystic also mentioned that in his post. A message I will take to heart. :yes:

Wake up. Day calls you

Wake up. Day calls you
to your life: your duty.
And to live, nothing more.
Root it out of the glum
night and the darkness
that covered your body
for which light waited
on tiptoe in the dawn.
Stand up, affirm the straight
simple will to be
a pure slender virgin.
Test your bodys metal.
cold, heat? Your blood
will tell against the snow,
or behind the window.
The colour
in your cheeks will tell.
And look at people. Rest
doing no more than adding
your perfection to another
day. Your task
is to carry your life high,
and play with it, hurl it
like a voice to the clouds
so it may retrieve the light
already gone from us.
That is your fate: to live
Do nothing.
Your work is you, nothing more.

Pedro Salinas
1891-1951

translated by Willis Barnstone

Free Being Me

Crusader
I have found that there are some great things about people who got involved in Scientology.

They have a natural curiosity about philosophy and religion and spirituality. And they usually have a very unique path they are following, and continue to follow.

They do not accept the standard common, milquetoast explanations for things.

And they talk a lot.

That's a pretty good combination in my book, and it's why I think that Scientology attracted some of the best people in the world.

As for me, I've been studying quite a bit of the history and underpinnings of the Bible, as well as reading and studying a lot of Plato, Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and others from that time period and region.

Last year, I finished studying 5 books on the theory and practice of Tibetan Buddhism, and I have been meditating on and off - mostly off - for the last 5 or 6 years or so.

Next up, since I just bought the complete works of Plato, and a course on Plato from an online course-selling company, I am going to get through as much Plato as I can.

Then, since Paul has gotten me interested in Micheal Newton, I am going to read some of his stuff. (Not Paul's stuff, but Micheal Newton's) And now it looks like I'm going to have to look into that other woman he mentioned in this thread, too.

I truly feel that I have continued to develop spiritually since I left Scientology 10 years ago, and that Scientology was but one step along my spiritual path that taught me very valuable lessons about spiritual vulnerabilities and the corruption of truth that can occur among human beings.

I have also learned the importance of spiritual progress to me in my own life, and have been helped to see that there are a lot of choices that exist, and how important it is to keep choosing and to keep moving.

The biggest lesson I've learned after Scientology is not to let it get you down, and not to allow it to sour you on your own spiritual path.

Exes of all stripes, and even some current Scientologists, have all helped me to keep going, and have given me abundant and excellent advice, guidance and opportunities to do so.

For that I am eternally grateful to this online community of spiritual seekers.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

Alanzo, IMO, your post the embodiment of WHY I started this thread. There is worth here beyond price here at ESMB, combining a plethora of honest, decent, moral, caring, curious and intelligent human beings unique unto themselves.

A bump in the road was discovered, it's being exposed and I hope it will end soon. The original intent was a quest for answers before $cientology. Why let that go? It has taken me 12 years to realize that, and with that said, what better people to commune with than you here?

Btw, I really liked your post, Nexus! A long list of authors with a zest for life. Got me thinking that every person has something to give humanity.

I really, really, REALLY appreciate the contributions of those seeing this thread as not only my voyage but yours as well.

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Freinds

Many of you have stated that you have read or are reading many books to find your way or your path. I, also have two book shelves full of many words that I have read and pondered. I was so proud of myself for studying so dillegently.

I am curious where you want this path or way to take you. If there is a path, surely, there is a destination.

A friend of mine did me a very big favor. After looking at the books and the prestegious autors, she turned to me and asked what I was searching for. I said, " I am searching for God !" She smiled and said, "You will find Him in your heart, not in your Head."

Amen,
Pat

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Many of you have stated that you have read or are reading many books to find your way or your path. I, also have two book shelves full of many words that I have read and pondered. I was so proud of myself for studying so dillegently.

I am curious where you want this path or way to take you. If there is a path, surely, there is a destination.

A friend of mine did me a very big favor. After looking at the books and the prestegious autors, she turned to me and asked what I was searching for. I said, " I am searching for God !" She smiled and said, "You will find Him in your heart, not in your Head."

Amen,
Pat

My next door neighbor and I get into long philosophical discussions. He is just like me, always thinking about the ultimate reality of things and what the hell am I doing here on this planet.

I was talking to him about the difference between a path that believes that faith is the route to salvation vs knowledge being the route to salvation:

Faith vs. Gnostic

I said that long ago I chose knowledge as my path.

He looked at me and said, "There is never enough knowledge."

I immediately got it. Just as there is never enough sex, never enough food, never enough money, there is never enough knowledge.

Christians speak of love, Buddhists speak of compassion.

That's an element that I am probably missing in this whole thing.

The only problem is that I suffer from Internet Augsberger's, and real life people too often make me puke.

I can love and accept any dog way more easily than I can love and accept any human.

Why is that, auntpat?

Is God fucking with me again?

Badass

Patron with Honors
My next door neighbor and I get into long philosophical discussions. He is just like me, always thinking about the ultimate reality of things and what the hell am I doing here on this planet.

I was talking to him about the difference between a path that believes that faith is the route to salvation vs knowledge being the route to salvation:

Faith vs. Gnostic

I said that long ago I chose knowledge as my path.

He looked at me and said, "There is never enough knowledge."

I immediately got it. Just as there is never enough sex, never enough food, never enough money, there is never enough knowledge.

Christians speak of love, Buddhists speak of compassion.

That's an element that I am probably missing in this whole thing.

The only problem is that I suffer from Internet Augsberger's, and real life people too often make me puke.

I can love and accept any dog way more easily than I can love and accept any human.

Why is that, auntpat?

Is God fucking with me again?

Sorry to barge in, I know maybe you just were trying to make a point to auntpat, but...

I just can´t believe you don´t love people (although you have not exactly said that).........

And I hate it when it happens but now you´ve got me thinking.....I have always supposed that I loved "people",I mean, that is something I never doubted, but now I am not so sure, people also often make me puke.

In my path I left faith long ago, and now I´ve reached a point where I am about to dump knowledge also, every piece of data I had organized according to their "importance" is now becoming less and less important, and my "spiritual gain" consists of having lost all fear of getting rid of every piece of knowledge, I mean, what exactly makes knowledge so important? How is it different when a child solves a jigsaw? I really can´t find a good answer to that, and don´t think I´m depressed because that is not the case.

So, what makes knowledge so important for you? may I ask what is your goal there?

Is God fucking with me too?

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Sorry to barge in, I know maybe you just were trying to make a point to auntpat, but...

I just can´t believe you don´t love people (although you have not exactly said that).........

And I hate it when it happens but now you´ve got me thinking.....I have always supposed that I loved "people",I mean, that is something I never doubted, but now I am not so sure, people also often make me puke.

In my path I left faith long ago, and now I´ve reached a point where I am about to dump knowledge also, every piece of data I had organized according to their "importance" is now becoming less and less important, and my "spiritual gain" consists of having lost all fear of getting rid of every piece of knowledge, I mean, what exactly makes knowledge so important? How is it different when a child solves a jigsaw? I really can´t find a good answer to that, and don´t think I´m depressed because that is not the case.

So, what makes knowledge so important for you? may I ask what is your goal there?

Is God fucking with me too?

Good question. Maybe he is.

You've read the Book of Job, haven't you?

And seen A Serious Man?

It happens.

As for knowledge, I don't know. I just can't seem to get enough of it.

I'm a total slut for knowledge.

That's really all I've got on the subject. Prior to my neighbor, no one had ever really pointed out to me that knowledge might not be all that it's cracked up to be. It's left me spinning out of control.

I got nothin'.

Badass

Patron with Honors
Good question. Maybe he is.

You've read the Book of Job, haven't you?

And seen A Serious Man?

It happens.
HTML:
[HTML]
[/HTML]

As for knowledge, I don't know. I just can't seem to get enough of it.

I'm a total slut for knowledge.

That's really all I've got on the subject. Prior to my neighbor, no one had ever really pointed out to me that knowledge might not be all that it's cracked up to be. It's left me spinning out of control.

I got nothin'.

Good ! Exactly as I am now.

I´ll jump into the emptiness, and, if there is a way back and I find any somethingness there, or any super-knowledge, I´ll let you know first.

But of course, now you have fucked with my mind too, since I have not read the famous Book of Job and seen the movie.

I´m still so fucking curious!!!

The emptiness will just have to wait. I´m in no hurry, and the knowledge slut in me has awakened again .......!!!!!

Well.....

If God is fucking with us......Good for him!!!! :D

(At least someone is having fun here............)

Last edited:

auntpat

Patron with Honors
Answer

No, Alonzo,

It is not Faith vs Gnostic. It is faith and gnostic. Gnostic turns us on and Faith turns God on.

I know what you mean about dogs. And I have often said, "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

God isn't fucking with us. He really doesn't expect us to be perfect. I know another thread was about beingness. One day I asked God what did he want me to be, and He said "Yourself!" I said what about do, what do you want me to do? And He said, "Enjoy!" I asked about have, 'What can I have?" and He said, "You can have it all!" He always talks with exclamation marks, or whispers.

Don't take the Big Book to seriously, it was written by those humans that we have difficulty loving.

I do love you,
Pat

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
No, Alonzo,

It is not Faith vs Gnostic. It is faith and gnostic. Gnostic turns us on and Faith turns God on.

I know what you mean about dogs. And I have often said, "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

God isn't fucking with us. He really doesn't expect us to be perfect. I know another thread was about beingness. One day I asked God what did he want me to be, and He said "Yourself!" I said what about do, what do you want me to do? And He said, "Enjoy!" I asked about have, 'What can I have?" and He said, "You can have it all!" He always talks with exclamation marks, or whispers.

Don't take the Big Book to seriously, it was written by those humans that we have difficulty loving.

I do love you,
Pat

((HUGGS)) and thanks :)

Mary

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
For anyone interested in a 'modern' christian parable, I'd highly recommend Philip K. Dick's 'Valis' quadrilogy.

This link has the three books free, but, for some reason fails to mention 'Radio Free Albemuth' as the 4th of the set, although it's also on the page.

Anyway, it's some very interesting reading. Take note Kindle users :)

Zinj

For anyone interested in a 'modern' christian parable, I'd highly recommend Philip K. Dick's 'Valis' quadrilogy.

This link has the three books free, but, for some reason fails to mention 'Radio Free Albemuth' as the 4th of the set, although it's also on the page.

Zinj

I liked Heinlein's "Job".

Mark A. Baker :whistling:

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
Since leaving $cientology I haven't been interested with religion, spirituality, god or any philosophic dogma. Now, after several years, my curiosity is reawakening.

From an Ex-$cientologist perspective, is a religion or a personal blend of spiritual beliefs a part of your life and how does this answer what $cientology failed to address in your life?

I think that a better question would be... why hasn't any scientist won a Nobel Prize for "discovering" this spiritual answer to any of this?

Hatshepsut

Crusader

Zinj

I will download that on my laptop. Free kindle apps everywhere for every device this winter. :)

I still have not read C. S. Lewis' That Hideous Strength

Hatshepsut

Crusader
:omg::D

ruby-slippers-copy-1-1.jpg

Last edited: