What's new

Spiritual Rescue Technology: "Sending your LRH library to the dump is a good start"

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Re: Spiritual Rescue Technology: "Sending your LRH library to the dump is a good star

That's very nice of you Terril. I'd prefer a desktop but all the second-hand shops seem to have these days are laptops, and that's probably where I'm going to get my next machine.

You can plug a laptop into an external monitor and also use a separate wireless full-size keyboard and mouse (I do when I go visiting). Using a laptop screen, keyboard and trackpad drives me nuts for anything other than idle surfing. If your TV has an HDMI port you can probably plug it into the TV too, although maybe your TV only cost £5 decades ago and is wind-up. :biggrin:

The idea of lying back on the couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse, laptop by the TV, and working on a 48" screen might seem inviting, but when I tried it it was unworkable, whether because of the screen resolution or my senile eye-focusing ability I don't remember.

Paul

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Re: Spiritual Rescue Technology: "Sending your LRH library to the dump is a good star

Your problem isn't the CPU, it's the amount of RAM memory you have. All browsers are RAM memory hogs these days, one needs a minimum 4GB of RAM.

There's also the issue of memory leaks. Firefox's memory usage, for example, steadily creeps up as long as you use it, so you need to terminate it and start it up fresh at least every day, if you're somebody who doesn't reboot your PC, but just hibernates it at the end of the day.

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

You can plug a laptop into an external monitor and also use a separate wireless full-size keyboard and mouse (I do when I go visiting). Using a laptop screen, keyboard and trackpad drives me nuts for anything other than idle surfing. If your TV has an HDMI port you can probably plug it into the TV too, although maybe your TV only cost £5 decades ago and is wind-up. :biggrin:

The idea of lying back on the couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse, laptop by the TV, and working on a 48" screen might seem inviting, but when I tried it it was unworkable, whether because of the screen resolution or my senile eye-focusing ability I don't remember.

Paul

Trackpad... Trackpad... WTF is a Trackpad? I'm only joking, but I've never used one, which is another reason why I have got to get myself some more up-to-date toys or I'm going to fall so far behind technologically speaking that I won't be able to catch up.

My mobile is also something that belongs in a museum. The only time I use a touch screen is when I'm in Sainsbury's telling the checkout machine how many bananas I want to buy.

So much importance is being given to having a 4G mobile these days it's frightening. Paying for stuff, finding out when the next bus is due, reading those funny square barcode-type images (what the fuck they do is a mystery to me at the moment) and a whole span of other shit they are being used for is all foreign to me. I've got to get one and catch up!

But despite all that I can't help feeling I'm like the man with his eyes bandaged when the Martians begin their invasion. One massive EMP and everybody is back to where I am except I'm the only one left who knows how to survive in a pre-4G world. Well, that's a bit extreme but you get my drift.

And Paul, I think your crack about my TV is a bit unfair. You obviously haven't read my post #40 in this thread: :yes:

I have a Toshiba TV that I bought new (wonders will never cease!) and that's given me no trouble for three years so far. (It plays YouTube vids on a USB stick much better than my PC).

Incidentally, my TV has 2 (two) HDMI ports - so there!

Last edited:

strativarius

There's also the issue of memory leaks. [highlight]Firefox's memory usage, for example, steadily creeps up as long as you use it[/highlight]

Is that a fact?

so you need to terminate it and start it up fresh at least every day, if you're somebody who doesn't reboot your PC, but just hibernates it at the end of the day.

It is probably much better to avoid turning your machine on and off if possible. Apart from the wear and tear on the HDD from spinning up and down time after time, there's the thermal expansion/contraction of the soldered joints on the circuit boards which can lead to faults eventually.

Having said all that, I still turn my machine off every night before I go bye byes. I hate all that electricity going to waste. :biggrin:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

My mobile is also something that belongs in a museum. The only time I use a touch screen is when I'm in Sainsbury's telling the checkout machine how many bananas I want to buy.
When I first got back to the UK in 2006 I bought myself a cheap Nokia 100 for £20. A couple of years ago I figured it was a time for an upgrade so bought the latest model of a Nokia 100 (£15). I do like my little electronic toys but I really have no use for a smartphone. I do very little travelling and when I am I look out of the window and not at a screen some more.

And Paul, I think your crack about my TV is a bit unfair. You obviously haven't read my post #40 in this thread: :yes:

Incidentally, my TV has 2 (two) HDMI ports - so there!
Sorry. Forgot.

Paul

Terril park

Sponsor

Yeah, but you're a guy who will spend £60 on a bottle of alcohol and think it's money well spent. :)

It all depends on one's priorities. I spend maybe 10 hours a day every day on a computer. It's silly for me to, for example, try and work with a used (i.e., old) 17" monitor when a new (i.e., modern specs) 28" one is so much better for working on, and the cost is pretty much negligible (£1 a week?) when spread over its years of use.

Paul

I'm more of a cheapskate than that. I don't think I ever spent £60 on a
bottle. Occasionally half that for an aged single malt or rum.

I several months ago bought an Asus 24" monitor for £50 from gumtree,
was still under guarentee.

Terril park

Sponsor

That's very nice of you Terril. I'd prefer a desktop but all the second-hand shops seem to have these days are laptops, and that's probably where I'm going to get my next machine.

My side of the river? I live south of the river alright, about 110 miles south. LOL.

Oh! Thought you were in Brixton.

You could try Gumtree, and you deal direct with owner which is cheaper
than a second hand shop. See example below.

"Dell Optiplex 760, quad core, 250GB Hard drive, 4GB memory,
windows 10, £60"

strativarius

Oh! Thought you were in Brixton.

Yes, I was once (well, Brixton area) but I left in 1988.

You could try Gumtree, and you deal direct with owner which is cheaper
than a second hand shop. See example below.

I don't want to buy online, I'd rather deal with the seller face-to-face, but thanks anyway.

Gib

Crusader

Install "Firefox Light" and you can surf with 1GB RAM (or even less) without any problems (and much faster than IE) - tested and actually in use here. More infos and download:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/review-firefox-light-slimmed-version-firefox-browser

well, I downloaded the file, but it won't start. My computer says missing "api-ms-win-crt-runtime-Li-1-0.dll"

So I googled that and found websites, tried to download a fix it program, which downloaded, but only got a program that now whats me to pay for their service, another bait & switch scheme. FUK, I'm so tried of bait & switch, ie scientology,

Anyways, if anybody has a fix for the dll missing, speak up.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

''cough''
Please don't forget to sent you computosaurus to Spiritual ''cough'' Rescue ''cough'' Technology to save & rescue LRH technology ''cough'' on hard disks.

Thank you!

Leland

Crusader

I never texted at all.....then I started this new occupation as a Temp bartender and banquet worker....and all these employers.....text. Some email.....some email and text and phone...

So now I know how to text....had to learn to do it....

So...use my smart phone all the time now....

They are really just miniature computers.....I can surf the web.....get email.....text....phone....watch youtube.....

I get emails on my phone faster that I do on my home computer...!

Last edited:

Terril park

Sponsor

Yes, I was once (well, Brixton area) but I left in 1988.

I don't want to buy online, I'd rather deal with the seller face-to-face, but thanks anyway.

Gumtree is online but merely an introduction to meet face to face. At least thats
the way I've always used it. Not even sure if you can order something to be posted like Ebay.
But I live in London so thats easy.

Here is a list of cities which you could try if near one. Otherwise its just
look at results for England.

Belfast Birmingham Brighton Bristol Cardiff Edinburgh Glasgow Leeds Liverpool London Manchester Sheffield

They also have a section for stuff that's free.

Leland

Crusader

Yup, I bought this one (I have 3 computers which all have about the same spec) about ten years ago for £10.00 ($15.00). It belongs in a museum really.

Hell would freeze over before I paid a grand for anything off eBay. What if when it arrived it was fucked and the seller was in Washington DC, are you going to fly/drive all the way up there to sort it out? You can give the seller negative feedback, but that won't get you your money back.

I'll buy my next machine from a local store. That way at least I can deal with people face-to-face.

That's right, it's called 'Swapping'. Stuff in memory that wasn't being immediately accessed would be written to the HDD to make more space.

I will make sure my next machine has shit loads of RAM!

Cheers! :thumbsup:

It would be an interesting experiment Strat....to put a new "Solid State" drive into an older machine...and see how fast that made it. Since those new drives are just ram chips....the swapping should be pretty fast...?

strativarius

It would be an interesting experiment Strat....to put a new "Solid State" drive into an older machine...and see how fast that made it. Since those new drives are just ram chips....the swapping should be pretty fast...?

Ideally there shouldn't be any swapping going on at all, but I know what you mean.

I looked at a laptop in a shop today, a 'pre-owned' machine. It was £235.00, and the guy said he could do it for £200.00. I said I'd think about it. :biggrin: