What's new

Thank you, everyone

Well, the reason I have is because my ex girlfriend was heavily involved with Scientology. She was almost thirty and I was 16. I know, I know, age differences, etc. She got involved with it before meeting me, but became heavily involved while we were dating. I didn't know much about it and unfortunately blamed her for most of her behaviors. When I called her out on it she threatened to cut contact with me. We continued to date, but it ended up being a huge strain on our relationship. I ended up doing a google search on Scientology and brought up some points to her which I guess were rather critical in nature. She cut all contact with me after yelling at me about some jargon I didn't understand. I haven't heard from her since. I was 17 at the time.

Th
at was the event that compelled me to look into Scientology. I wanted to know what happened and why she was involved with it. So, I'm pretty heavily invested into finding out everything I possibly can. It is weird, I know, but it still hurts to this day over the abrupt cut of contact from someone I was so close to. I had really bad trust issues and just issues in general due to PTSD, so it made me think a lot.

anyway, don't always be so closed to advice involving coping with something, although I do understand why you would be.

Welcome to ESMB.
Don't worry about explaining. Cactus for the main course = sugar for desert.

Emiko

Patron
That's a very charitable view Churchill. As a newbie I was cut a bit of slack here and it was much appreciated. Oh, and welcome to ESMB Emiko.
Thanks for the warm welcome, Strat!

Hi Emiko,

What did you think of Lawrence Wright's book?

Have you read The Unbreakable Miss Lovely yet?

Honestly, I thought he messed up on a lot of things. I liked the documentary more than I liked the book, actually. However, because both are now pretty mainstream, it's allowing a lot of misconceptions to be passed around about Scientology--which I am not happy about.

I have not read it yet, but it is in my reading list. I've had friends that have told me both good and bad things about it, so we'll see how it holds up. Have you read the book yourself?

:welcome: Emiko! By all means advise away, but I'd suggest spending a few days reading around first, you are young, and definitely not alone, ands its a big ol' world out there :)

Depression and anxiety from age four eh? Hope you cut the strings 'cause that sounds like a plain old shitty childhood to me :(

:cheers: & :heartflower:
Yeah haha I have. I don't talk to any of my extended family save for 4 people. My immediate family is also.. eh. It's fine though, I'm doing much better now. :)

Cat Daddy

Silver Meritorious Patron
[video=youtube;WeNBspJGVko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNBspJGVko[/video]

Honestly, I thought he messed up on a lot of things. I liked the documentary more than I liked the book, actually. However, because both are now pretty mainstream, it's allowing a lot of misconceptions to be passed around about Scientology--which I am not happy about.

I have not read it yet, but it is in my reading list. I've had friends that have told me both good and bad things about it, so we'll see how it holds up. Have you read the book yourself?

Yeah haha I have. I don't talk to any of my extended family save for 4 people. My immediate family is also.. eh. It's fine though, I'm doing much better now. :)

JustSheila

Crusader
:welcome2: to ESMB, Emiko!

If you don't mind my asking, how did you find out you had PTSD? Did you receive professional counseling to address it?

Sheila

Emiko

Patron
:welcome2: to ESMB, Emiko!

If you don't mind my asking, how did you find out you had PTSD? Did you receive professional counseling to address it?

Sheila

Hello, Sheila.
That's a great question. I had all of the symptoms since around twelve years old, but couldn't be professionally diagnosed until last year because of my age. Now I'm on medications for it as well as 6 different therapists and one group therapy.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

You thought Lawrence Wright messed up on a lot of things in his book?
Really?
Could you please tell me some of these things? What misconceptions are you referring to?

Emiko

Patron
You thought Lawrence Wright messed up on a lot of things in his book?
Really?
Could you please tell me some of these things? What misconceptions are you referring to?

I can't remember specifically what parts of it I didn't like, but I remember there being events listed that didn't happen the way that was described, one person sourced was relatively unreliable, and there was a few assertions about LRH that credited him with things he shouldn't have been credited for.
If you'd like me to source specifics, I can skim through the book again and get back to you.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
I can't remember specifically what parts of it I didn't like, but I remember there being events listed that didn't happen the way that was described, one person sourced was relatively unreliable, and there was a few assertions about LRH that credited him with things he shouldn't have been credited for.
If you'd like me to source specifics, I can skim through the book again and get back to you.

Would love to see your take on this too, Wright is a pretty meticulous researcher, used a lot of first-hand accounts too. Scilontology has been forever trying to correct Hubbard's mess by re-writing history, 'tis a vile mess indeed.

Have you read through Dr. Stephan Kent and student's writings yet? It is all peeling-the-onion man, takes patience and time.

:cheers:

Emiko

Patron
Would love to see your take on this too, Wright is a pretty meticulous researcher, used a lot of first-hand accounts too. Scilontology has been forever trying to correct Hubbard's mess by re-writing history, 'tis a vile mess indeed.

Have you read through Dr. Stephan Kent and student's writings yet? It is all peeling-the-onion man, takes patience and time.

alright, I'll download the book again and pick out what rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong though, overall I did like it, just eh, there were misconceptions that I didn't like.
I'm not sure if I h
ave or not. When were they published?

oneonewasaracecar

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hello, Sheila.
That's a great question. I had all of the symptoms since around twelve years old, but couldn't be professionally diagnosed until last year because of my age. Now I'm on medications for it as well as 6 different therapists and one group therapy.
Welcome Emiko.

Can I ask, did your girlfriend know you were on these medications?

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader
alright, I'll download the book again and pick out what rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong though, overall I did like it, just eh, there were misconceptions that I didn't like.
I'm not sure if I h
ave or not. When were they published?

Some context on Dr. Kent ~ http://www.lermanet.com/kent.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_A._Kent

If you want to know more, read the numerous papers/research etc., practice yer google-fu.. not that hard to track down, and many mirrors (posterity an' all that ;) ) :)

*pro-tip #097* Scroll to the bottom of the Wiki page and go to the 'article' links. Haz fun! :beer:

:drama:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes, that would be good. Thanks. I was also interested in your statement that Lawrence Wright messed up on a lot of things. So, yes, specifics would certainly help.

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi, Emiko, and welcome to ESMB.

Let me state clearly that Scientology is NOT the sort of religion that one joins to be religious -- one does not find faith and fellowship there. The purpose of Scientology is to help each other rise above their limitations and become more capable -- although many will argue that it does not do that. I myself have had some successes with Scientology-style therapy, but no longer wish to talk to the Church. If you're not looking for a solution to a problem that Scientology specializes in, Scientology is not for you.

And if you're looking for impartial feedback, ESMB is NOT the place to find it -- it's intended for those who have been burned by Scientology and have left in disgust. Yet there is a lot of useful information here, nonetheless.

Scientology allows no dissent. Your XGF was obviously told that being connected to someone who points out ANY critical information is unacceptable, and to "disconnect or handle". Entire families have been broken up by the demand that Scientologists have nothing to do with anyone who is anti-Scientology, has a negative view of Scientology, or simply repeats critical information. Such is apparently intended to keep true believers from being exposed to anything that might get them to leave.

As for depression, I myself have many depression issues. I did get some help from Scientology there, but I do fear my depression will never go away. I've had many tragedies in life and I can no longer fight their lasting emotional effects. I've tried everything except the vitamin drip (that's next).

Good luck to you in your search.

Helena

Emiko

Patron

Let me state clearly that Scientology is NOT the sort of religion that one joins to be religious -- one does not find faith and fellowship there. The purpose of Scientology is to help each other rise above their limitations and become more capable -- although many will argue that it does not do that. I myself have had some successes with Scientology-style therapy, but no longer wish to talk to the Church. If you're not looking for a solution to a problem that Scientology specializes in, Scientology is not for you.

And if you're looking for impartial feedback, ESMB is NOT the place to find it -- it's intended for those who have been burned by Scientology and have left in disgust. Yet there is a lot of useful information here, nonetheless.

Scientology allows no dissent. Your XGF was obviously told that being connected to someone who points out ANY critical information is unacceptable, and to "disconnect or handle". Entire families have been broken up by the demand that Scientologists have nothing to do with anyone who is anti-Scientology, has a negative view of Scientology, or simply repeats critical information. Such is apparently intended to keep true believers from being exposed to anything that might get them to leave.

As for depression, I myself have many depression issues. I did get some help from Scientology there, but I do fear my depression will never go away. I've had many tragedies in life and I can no longer fight their lasting emotional effects. I've tried everything except the vitamin drip (that's next).

Helena

Hello Helena, thank you for the welcome. Do not worry, I have absolutely no desire to get involved in Scientology. I myself am part of a very freeing religion that I am quite happy with.

I
am well aware of what Scientology does and why my gf had dropped me like a hat. at the time, however, it just seemed like she was crazy. Her [FONT=Lato, sans-serif, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]deteriorating st[/FONT]ate was what made me look into Scientology and to see how badly it hurts people.
I h
ave had a lot of help fighting my depression and anxiety with my faith. Originally I was loaded with pills until I felt well enough that I could trust myself not to make a mistake. Now my faith has helped me so much and I feel a lot better. I do know many other coping methods that I know most people don't generally try and they help as well. But it's really for each his own and all anyone can do is listen to advice, try things, and hope he finds something that works.

Ogsonofgroo

Crusader

Helena

Uhuh. :duh:

Hubbard's dead, perky, nipples... sucking they need. Seriously HH, I have yet to find anything Hubbard that is of some sort of use, that wasn't stolen from others, and the knowledge was/is free in the real world. The 'purpose' of Scientology was to rip people off, and whilst doing so, make them numb and purposeful.
That you fail to find that which is wonderful and free in life, and seek such in such dark places, makes me kinda sad for you. Keep building your cabins on shaky ground, its the foundation that needs replacing, or move over a couple of feet 'r somethin' :)

:rose: and no offense meant or implied, its just that I find it sort of awful that someone woiuld hang onto any parts of something so very damaging and abstract, especially when there are so many other choices, so many other good things that don't need a 'guru' (etc.) to tell you about it. Use your eyes, use your heart, and never be afraid of re-building, just dig that foundation a bit deeper imho.

and, I lerves ya HH, all de best in loves an' life to ya :cheers:

:)

Lone Star

Crusader

Yeah, some of us are still waiting for you to clear up Lawrence Wright's mistakes. This should be good. You better bring your A game dude.

Last edited: