What's new

Thank you, everyone

Helena Handbasket

Gold Meritorious Patron
:) Hi Helena, IMO, you're misrepresenting ESMB with the above (below - HH) statement.

You're depicting ESMB as populated by irrational people, incapable of "impartial feedback."

And if you're looking for impartial feedback

I never meant that individual ESMB'ers were incapable of being impartial. Yet many here have justifiably formed negative opinions of the C of S based on their own experiences.

I've seen plenty of impartial, and well reasoned, feedback, over many years.

ESMB is NOT the place to find it

If you were conducting a survey in the USA to see if people consider income inequality to be a problem, you wouldn't only conduct the survey in rich neighborhoods, would you? (Well, Fox News might.) You can only find impartiality in a group that isn't a magnet for one particular point of view.
Speaking only for myself, I (was lucky and) was never "burned by Scientology," and I did not "leave in disgust."

it's intended for those who have been burned by Scientology and have left in disgust.

I admit, I never did ask Emma exactly why she founded this board -- but I'm sure she had "bitter, defrocked apostates" in mind. Do you want to ask her or shall I?
I left when I, using observation and reasoning, realized I no longer wished to be associated with the Scientology organization.

I also became aware - gradually over time - that many had been harmed by Scientology, and, while they have a right to be angry, are also, for the most part, quite rational.
It's good you got out without being hurt. I was hurt, but only a little -- certainly nothing compared to some of the stories I've read here!

Helena

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
...it is that great generation that never did quite grow up after all.

As a fully paid up member of the baby-boom generation there's a couple of points I need you to enlarge upon LS. Firstly, what exactly do you mean by 'that great generation that never did quite grow up'? I'm not having a go at you, but I'd really like to know what you mean by that. Maybe I (and the rest of us decrepit old fossils here) will learn something.

But I know that many of you in the Baby Boom generation need all the help you can get even in advanced years

I'm not one of these aged technophobes who don't know (and don't want to know) how to turn on a computer, in fact, how many out there compile their own Linux kernels? But I'm happy to learn from a ten-year-old about games for example, my experience and knowledge of which is practically non-existent.

Personally, I'm petrified by the thought that at some stage I might be incapable of looking after myself and end up having to depend on others for my continuing survival. By that point I will probably be wishing that I too lived in a country where firearms were ubiquitous so that I could decorate my walls with my own brains.

My £0.02

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
a few days. I've read a good deal of the family and scientology stories so far. Why do you ask?

You said that you had been watching and reading all you could about scientology from the outside for at least a year, (if you were just about to turn 18 when your girlfriend disconnected and have just turned 19 now that would be about a year) maybe two, and I was curious about how much you had learned from lurking here. It surprises me that you were reading all you could for at least a year and you have only just started reading here. When I started looking into scientology myself I ran across this place via cross references within a couple weeks.

Lone Star

Crusader
As a fully paid up member of the baby-boom generation there's a couple of points I need you to enlarge upon LS. Firstly, what exactly do you mean by 'that great generation that never did quite grow up'? I'm not having a go at you, but I'd really like to know what you mean by that. Maybe I (and the rest of us decrepit old fossils here) will learn something.

I'm not one of these aged technophobes who don't know (and don't want to know) how to turn on a computer, in fact, how many out there compile their own Linux kernels? But I'm happy to learn from a ten-year-old about games for example, my experience and knowledge of which is practically non-existent.

Personally, I'm petrified by the thought that at some stage I might be incapable of looking after myself and end up having to depend on others for my continuing survival. By that point I will probably be wishing that I too lived in a country where firearms were ubiquitous so that I could decorate my walls with my own brains.

My £0.02

I did forget to add that as a Gen X'er I am far less mature than the average Boomer. LOL....

I was just about to go and edit that sentence about the Boomers because it was far too broad brushed a statement. Once again, I should'nt post in the early morning before coffee. :duh:

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband
I did forget to add that as a Gen X'er I am far less mature than the average Boomer. LOL....

I was just about to go and edit that sentence about the Boomers because it was far too broad brushed a statement. Once again, I should'nt post in the early morning before coffee. :duh:

Tsk, tsk! Shockin'. There's no intellectual overdrive 'ere ya know mate! :biggrin:

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

FWIW I had you pegged as a boomer, like me.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Almost. I was born the year just after the Boomer gen ended. So I relate to both the Gen Xers and the Boomers.

While we wait for the OP to reply, let me ask you, in your experience what distinguishes Gen Xers from Baby Boomers?

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron
"Emiko" seems to have left the building...

And I was so looking forward to my question getting answered...

Quel dommage .

OutToe83

Patron with Honors
Hi emiko. And another welcome to you.

You are quite young to have been through as much as you have gone through, what with suffering long-term depression and PTSD. And to have been taken advantage of by a person much older than you are. (You may not see it that way at this time, but the day will come that you will. Sixteen is very, very young. I just can't envision any situation where it would be beneficial to one so young to become emotionally and sexually involved with a thirty year old.

DeeAnna, I can envision a situation where it would be beneficial to one so young to become emotionally and sexually involved with a thirty year old--not necessarily because I'm so visionary or open-minded, but because I once had a close friend (a very attractive 20-odd year old at the time) tell me about just such a relationship she'd had when she was 15, with a 30yo man. Her own take on the relationship, as I recall, was that she was glad she had an older person introduce her to sex, as opposed to someone nearer her own age who would likely have been inexperienced and unlikely to have made it the sweet and enlightening experience that it had been for her.

NOTE: It is not my judgement that the relationship was beneficial. It was the judgement of the 15-yo girl and later 20-odd-yo woman who told me about it. I defer to the girl and woman, who didn't come across in the least as being traumatized. In fact, given that she had the good judgement of leaving the Co$ after only a few years, I'd have to give her credit for demonstrating good judgement when I knew her.

That girl was a $cn friend whom I'd met in the 70's, who left the Cult about the same time I did, and it was an example of an older man (I) learning from a younger person (her)--in this case, she was 20-odd when she told me about it, but I learned from the experience of a 15-yo, because she (at 20-odd) was relating to her earlier life and simply validating later in life, her judgement at that earlier age. One of the things I "learned" (or had reinforced) is that it isn't automatically damaging or traumatic for a girl of 15 to have sex, even with a 30-yo. (And why would a 30-yo inflict more of this implied/purported damage anyway? As compared to a 16-yo?)

She isn't the only example I knew over the years, but she's the clearest example I can think of that the very commonplace assumption is INCORRECT, that having sex outside marriage is necessarily damaging to a young girl in some way, in the late 20th/early 21st century. A century or so ago, it was damaging (if known) because a girl's prospects of a good marriage were severely diminished and most people were anchored to the neighborhood/community they grew up in. They had to live with their reputation or leave home with bleak prospects out in the wider world. That situation simply isn't common any more in industrialized countries, nor is the universal expectation of virginity at marriage--hence, the "severe damage" (or risk of damage) isn't automatic.

I could write a lot about this, but (1) I don't want to derail the thread and (2) I don't want to get too far afield from Emiko's situation. I don't know any more than what she's told us about her relationship with the woman--and neither does anybody else here, except her. We don't know that there was anything more traumatic about it than usual when an intense relationship crashes.

I had my first heart-blowing, ga-ga, head-over-heels-Madly-In-Love experience around that same age, and when it crashed it was traumatic for me too. I was f**king devastated! And like most teenagers, I eventually got over it. And...I don't see that the girl involved being older or younger than I was had anything to do with it. I loved her, she didn't love me the same way--it happens at all ages and I decline to believe it would have been worse if she had been 30 instead of 13. If she had been devastated instead of me, I don't see that I would have been more responsible by being 16 instead of 13. It happens a lot and most people get over it eventually. Some people take the route I did and learn from it--eventually I was glad to have known my loved one, and felt richer for having loved her as I had--regardless of how she felt about me. The pain I suffered for my loss mattered far less than the joy I had experienced while I was with her. (Of course, that's a choice--not trying to tell anyone how they should think.)

Of course, I didn't see it that way at the time. At the time, I was angry and blamed her--for how she felt about me! Does anyone have a problem seeing how irrational it is to blame a person for how s/he feels? Or for not knowing that s/he'd feel differently six months later? And does anyone carry the illusion that that kind of emotional irrationality is confined to teenagers? I'm actually embarrassed at how late in life I was still doing that--blaming a former flame for my feelings of loss, even for a little while; and I've definitely seen that I wasn't the only one in my age bracket to do that.

So--any emotional trauma that a 16 yo girl may suffer from a relationship (sexual or not) with a 30 yo woman--I have trouble seeing how it's a lot different from trauma suffered in a relationship with a 15-yo boy. Well, except that the girl is a lot less likely to get pregnant with the woman.

Now I may be missing your point entirely, DeeAnna. If I have, I'd be curious to hear what it is; but at the same time, I don't want to derail Emiko's introduction thread. I would like to keep it about her, not boys and girls and women and men in general.

It seems to me that she's taking a lot of flak over being young--as if that had any relationship to being able to give advice. I've been a stranger in a strange land, and was glad to accept the advice of much younger people who knew more about the land than I did. Since Emiko hasn't yet dispensed any real advice, nobody has grounds to judge it as bad.

Last edited:

DeeAnna

Patron Meritorious
"One of the things I "learned" (or had reinforced) is that it isn't automatically damaging or traumatic for a girl of 15 to have sex, even with a 30-yo."

I did not refer to sex as being traumatic or damaging. And I'm pretty sure emiko referenced other earlier traumas in her life as causing the PTSD? And despite the girl/woman whom you met not having been damaged or traumatized and apparently feeling it was a positive experience to have a sexual relationship at age 15 with a 30 year old, I would guess that would not be the norm. But since statistics are not kept on such things - at least none that I've encountered - I guess we'll never know.

Sure does make me wonder about that 30 year old though.

As for our ancestors of 100 years ago, there were numerous 15 and 16 year old brides, especially among farm families. The grooms were sometimes as young as seventeen. Sometimes these young gals had three or four children by the time they were 21. If they died in childbirth on baby number four, the husband would go out and find himself another young bride. I had a great-great grandfather who had three wives due to childbirth deaths of the first two. And he was the father of thirteen children, some from each wife. He was a Pennsylvania German farmer.

Hypatia

Pagan
Hello,
My name is Emiko. I am 19 years old and Scientology has picked up in my interests in the past few years. I wanted to know how it destroyed people, why people joined, and why they didn't leave. I studied the religion for a long time and watched every documentary available, listened to all LRH lectures, and viewed all available archives. I've never been involved personally in Scientology, but would love to talk to everyone about his or her experiences.
I understand how it has destroyed people mentally. I have PTSD and can relate to people with similar anxiety or depressive issues after leaving. I'm willing to offer advice.

Since I myself did not suffer at the hands of Scientology, I will give my background in religion.
I was raised Catholic, but disagreed with the faith early on. I left the religion when I was ten and was ignored by most of my family after that. I studied religions and eventually converted to Hinduism. I took part in several sects at the beginning and was mistreated by many men. Eventually I settled for a modern sect of Hinduism that supports women's rights. However, after being in the religion for several years, the mistreatment I received due to being a women was too uncomfortable for me, so I left the faith. I cannot imagine being unable to suppress my thoughts or to ask questions in a religion. I've been in abusive relationships like this, but I cannot imagine being in an abusive religion.

Feel free to message me or ask me questions. I'm pretty out of it and the moment so I'm sorry if this post doesn't make too much sense.
Emiko

Yes, Scientology is a cult but another thing is people put a lot of faith and trust in organized religion. Clergy become authority figures and are listened to and believed.

It isn't just credulousness or upbringing, either. What do you do when you want to learn chemistry or geography or a foreign language? You get a teacher- an expert. So one naturally assumes that maybe divinity, spirituality, etc, work the same way. And sometimes, yes. Some priests and ministers and yogis want to really teach and help. Thing is with spirituality there're few checks and balances. It's way easier to find out if Professor Entwhistle is really teaching you chemistry than to find out if the guru is leading you down the garden path.