What's new

Why did Hubbard sell us on Homo Novis?

Several people on the Are Scientologists God? thread have hinted at something, that Hub was selling us on something that doesn't exist - that we are gods in our own right, and it is an attractive conceit. Become a big fish in a big pond. But why would that be of interest? And to who?

I was thinking about the Craig's list guy Tony O was writing about - his buttons looked like he was after the "PTS" public. People of low esteem. people who aren't doing well in life. Do you think Hub went after a public that was idealistic, wanted to make a difference, who wanted more out of life, who wanted to be more able then they are? Was it because he felt that same need? The need to be some one?

What was his early life like? Traveling around, having to make new friends at every new part of life. Could that have formed in Hub, seeing the vastness of mankind, an attitude of having to stand out, having to rise above the multitudes, but lacking what it took? His navy career, affairs and failed marriages, the failed cruise in the Doria - could he have wanted to overcome his own lack of self esteem? And by being a raconteur, had he found the esteem and ability he lacked in the rest of his life?

How did he set himself up? As an authority of how to succeed. By overcoming the hidden McGuffin - the engram bank, which explained away all of your failings - the held down 7 that kept you from succeeding, was that his answer for himself? Did it become what was he sold to the rest of us? How to be a bigger fish than you are. A fish in a pond that now contains 6 billion fish. How humbling could that be, to be surrounded by smart people, and he was making a penny a word, because he lacked the training / skills to do anything else?

Is there any question why he wanted to smash his name into history? And when Dianetic's became a fluke that hit big - he ran with it for all it was worth. Fetters and all. It goes a long way to explain why we have such flawed technology, one that promises much and delivers little.

Mimsey

Alle G

Patron with Honors
IMHO Hubbard did not think or calculate anything consciously. Like water always ‘seeking’ the lowest level, he instinctively, unconsciously hit whatever buttons were available, which would generate attention and energy flowing in his direction. Homo novis, science, radiation, sci fi, evolution, origin of universe, anything will do.

I also don’t think he specifically preyed on certain type of people, but I think it is significant that he was always surrounded by young people, whose innocence and idealism he exploited.

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
Why did Hubbard sell us on Homo Novus? Because every single human being would like to improve themselves.

He realized he could make a lot of money if he started a religion.

He told the members that "it was not me that wanted to make a religion - it was YOU", which now I know was a lie. I was newly in and I recall hearing on his lectures and reading his books - where he said this statement over and over.

Another one he said - "don't mix money with religion" and then he carefully mixed money with religion - and he made Scientology all about the money and hid his crimes behind his religion!

Hubbard found out from Aleistar Crowley that he can hide behind the religious cloak - and that is the biggest secret Scientology keeps from its members, along with "I am mocking up my reactive mind but can stop it and control it" (THE CLEAR COG) and Xenu and the BODY THETANS scam!!

Anyone recall Hubbard's warning that "secrets" are the clue to a suppressive group?

Now ALL of the secrets are out on the internet and in the media. Scientology cannot control anyone because they secrets are OUT!

Hubbard was a crazy con man that wanted admiration and would go to any cost to obtain it. He died a total failure. All the money in his greedy little hands did not help him obtain his goals. He forgot that he was a spiritual being and the laws of cause and effect would come back at him - he went mad!

Now David Miscavige is following his "homo novus" EP - he is going stark raving mad!

Can't finish cycles of action and get anything done. Spinning people round and round and round. Cannibalizing his members and giving the trademark of "Scientology" and "Dianetics" the worst reputation possible~!

Scientology is a cult and they LIE - it is "smoke and mirrors" and the homo sap becomes Homo wreck!

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
IMHO Hubbard did not think or calculate anything consciously. Like water always ‘seeking’ the lowest level, he instinctively, unconsciously hit whatever buttons were available, which would generate attention and energy flowing in his direction. Homo novis, science, radiation, sci fi, evolution, origin of universe, anything will do.

I also don’t think he specifically preyed on certain type of people, but I think it is significant that he was always surrounded by young people, whose innocence and idealism he exploited.

I'm not so sure, Alle G. I don't think Hubtard was a total nincompoop, he just did not have an analytical / mathematical mind. As far as intuitively understanding Human motivations goes, I think he was a kind if genius.

He was not any kind if planner, though. I think he observed the kinds of people who gravitated to his crap after he ran it up the flagpole, but then he quickly realized he had several classes of people in his camp that had different uses. The idealists who would sacrifice their humanity for an ideal he turned into the SO leadership. The broken down people looking for a leg up in life were the low level SO and public - they would put up with the former's bullshit for the carrot of homo novis. The dilettante druggies and really broken cases he called illegal PCs. There was definitely a kind of genius in that breakdown.

Last edited:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Teo of the most flagrant and outright false promises that Hubbard supplied to us are

1. homo novis
2. increasing IQ

Let's examine each one

1. homo novis - Hubbard is beynd stupid to even thin that he is producing a new man. Why? Because if he had any inkling of how genus and species works he would know better than to make such an absurd ascertation. Biologists would like say that "homo novis" was Hubbard idea of a practical joke. I'm just a college grad with a Bio 101 course and even I know that Hubabrd making a claim that he has created a new breed of man belongs in the "Bloopers of a Lifetime" bin. It is beyond stupid. It is so stupidthat it belongs on the stupid thread.

2. increasing IQ. I jsut got a piece of promo that tells how improved a person is who listens to the lectures. Not only will their OCA increase by 350 points total (it might have been 750) and not only will IQ increase. But IQ will increase 6X the expected increase. So Hubbard threw out a bone that IQ can increase with his homo novis processing and the followers have falen for it and they fell for it so badly that they are finding ways to increase the stats even more so. This is another thing that belongs on the stupid thread

Ok I wil shut up now. At least until I write my next post

Carry on

Rd00

Loohan

Am I Mettaya?
Teo of the most flagrant and outright false promises that Hubbard supplied to us are

1. homo novis
2. increasing IQ

Let's examine each one

2. increasing IQ. I jsut got a piece of promo that tells how improved a person is who listens to the lectures. Not only will their OCA increase by 350 points total (it might have been 750) and not only will IQ increase. But IQ will increase 6X the expected increase. So Hubbard threw out a bone that IQ can increase with his homo novis processing and the followers have falen for it and they fell for it so badly that they are finding ways to increase the stats even more so. This is another thing that belongs on the stupid thread
Rd00

I must take exception to that. After hundreds of hours of processing, thousands of hours of TRs, listening to all the PDC tapes, purif, and thousands of hours of looking up words, My IQ DID increase! By 2 points! And i know that was an objective measurement, because it was on the exact same test that i took half a dozen times or more.

Also, after many intensives of sec-checking and FPRD, my eyesight didn't get any worse! It remained the same!

I think Hubbard was a true Nietzschean.

Scientology philosophy is so consistent with Nietzsche

He perhaps thought he was the Ubermensch and probably thought he could bottle it in the form of Scientology.

Certainly his ethics was Nietzsche's master/slave ethics, his Bridge to Total Freedom was the way to Ubermensch, and teh training a way to desensitize people to the suffering they cause--and are supposed to cause.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
I'm not so sure, Alle G. I don't think Hubtard was a total nincompoop, he just did not have an analytical / mathematical mind. As far as intuitively understanding Human motivations goes, I think he was a kind if genius.

He was not any kind if planner, though. I think he observed the kinds of people who gravitated to his crap after he ran it up the flagpole, but then he quickly realized he had several classes of people in his camp that had different uses. The idealists who would sacrifice their humanity for an ideal he turned into the SO leadership. The broken down people looking for a leg up in life were the low level SO and public - they would put up with the former's bullshit for the carrot of homo novis. The dilettante druggies and really broken cases he called illegal PCs. There was definitely a kind of genius in that breakdown.

Hubbard certainly did a lot of planning, and he published a lot of material on this subject. He had an analytical / mathematical mind, probably more-so than average, and was not always "psychotic" in the generic sense. He directed his intellect, however, and his intuition, in self-centered, often malignant ways.

I don't know what you mean by him not being a "planner" or how you came to this conclusion. What he used his planning, analytical abilities for is the issue, not whether these abilities were superior, inferior or non-existent.

"Dilettante druggies?" I don't know what that means. Calling someone a "dilettante" is a Scientological slur, so you know.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to do this, but what you've written about Hubbard's "Illegal PC" category unnecessarily and untruthfully relabels and denigrates that class of Scientology victims. These are the categories of people Hubbard labeled "Illegal" and made a high crime to accept for processing:

Hubbard said:
1. Who is terminally (fatally) ill, regardless of what the org Registrars may have promised or asserted. Such diseases as advanced cancer are included.

2. Who has an extensive institutional or psychiatric history which includes heavy drugs, shocks of various kinds and/or so-called psychiatric brain operations.

By "institutional history" is meant having been knowingly or unknowingly given treatment as described in (2) above in a public or private institution for the insane, a psychiatric ward in a hospital, a psychiatrist's , psychologist's or other mental practitioner's clinic or office or a mental health center.

3. Who have been denied processing by HCO, the Office of Special Affairs or the Office of Senior C/S International for reason of past history or connections or current state as it may affect the safety and security of the org.

This third category would include people who are members or ex-members, or in families of members or ex-members of media, police spy organizations and government spy organizations such as the National Security Agency (NSA), Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Department of Justice (DOJ), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), or any other federal agency in any country. It definitely includes anyone who has ever gone to or threatened to go to the press or who has tried to sue Scientology.

Hubbard, L. (1976, 6 December) Illegal PCs, Acceptance Of High Crime PL Technical Bulletins (1991 ed., Vol X, pp. 749-50) Los Angeles: Bridge Publications, Inc.

As can be seen, the "illegal pc" class includes far more sorts of persons than "dilettante druggies and really broken cases," and many of these "illegal pcs" are highly competent and highly ethical.

From what you've posted to ESMB about your background, and from your expressed antipathy to Hubbard, etc., Scientology and Scientologists would certainly label you "illegal." But Scientology and Scientologists make use of these people too, as some of us here know. People that Hubbard classified as illegal should not be denigrated.

I don't know how you arrived at this breakdown, but I don't recognize it from Hubbard's writings, or my own experience.

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hubbard certainly did a lot of planning, and he published a lot of material on this subject. He had an analytical / mathematical mind, probably more-so than average, and was not always "psychotic" in the generic sense. He directed his intellect, however, and his intuition, in self-centered, often malignant ways.

I don't know what you mean by him not being a "planner" or how you came to this conclusion. What he used his planning, analytical abilities for is the issue, not whether these abilities were superior, inferior or non-existent.

"Dilettante druggies?" I don't know what that means. Calling someone a "dilettante" is a Scientological slur, so you know.

I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to do this, but what you've written about Hubbard's "Illegal PC" category unnecessarily and untruthfully relabels and denigrates that class of Scientology victims. These are the categories of people Hubbard labeled "Illegal" and made a high crime to accept for processing:

As can be seen, the "illegal pc" class includes far more sorts of persons than "dilettante druggies and really broken cases," and many of these "illegal pcs" are highly competent and highly ethical.

From what you've posted to ESMB about your background, and from your expressed antipathy to Hubbard, etc., Scientology and Scientologists would certainly label you "illegal." But Scientology and Scientologists make use of these people too, as some of us here know. People that Hubbard classified as illegal should not be denigrated.

I don't know how you arrived at this breakdown, but I don't recognize it from Hubbard's writings, or my own experience.

Sorry, when I use Scilon-speak, it's an affectation. I meant case as in medical case. There is no "case" as Hubtard defined it. We are meat computers with an average of 150 mistakes in our core code. Sometimes those mistakes are serious, and leave someone broken, but the good news is that medical science can fix a lot of those cases. In more primitive times, people looked to religion to fix what medical sceince couldn't. Sometimes it did, and sometimes it was nothing more than a placebo. Sometimes, as when it blamed mental illness on demon possesion, it was poison, not medicine. But people of good will, medical or religious, try to fix those who are broken through no fualt of their own.

Hubbard never even tried.

I was thinkning of Lisa McPherson when I wrote the first post. She was broken. She could have been fixed, or at least fixed up to working condition, even if she'd never be completely neurotypical.

It's my considered opinion that, in the 1960s and early 70s, Hubbard either knew that Scientology tech didn't work, or believed in could, but was bluffing while he desperately searched for workable tech - which amounts to the same thing: fraud.

He knew he couldn't help the seriously broken. So he turned them out, but only after he gave them false hope and fleeced them. He waited until they got to Flag to break the illegal PC notion over their heads.

The other group that flocked to Hubbard in some numbers in that era were the hippies who were trying to find some meaning in life. They bounced from guru to guru, hence they were dilettantes. Some of them were briefly attracted to Hubbard. What Hubbard offered was a transcendental experience, one that could be mirrored by drugs. I'm not sure why anyone who has "exteriorized" by obviously chemical means would think that the out of body sensation is anything other than a chemically-induced delusion in the meat computer. And I think Hubbard excluded them because he feared that a significant chunk of them would eventually figure that out and call him on his bullshit. Hence the LSD = illegal PC view he promulgated.

At least that's the way I read Hubbard the Con Man.

So I'm not denigrating that segment - unless you read what I wrtoe from a $CN lens, which as a never-in, I never write from. I'm not skilled enough to pull that off convincingly.

I'm saying that a true religious leader would try to help that segment as well as or even above all others. But compassion doesn't exist on the tone scale, does it? You don't look down on the broken, you reach down.

To lend a helping hand.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Why did Hubbard sell us on Homo Novis ?????

May be simply

A narcissist psychiatric untreated case

'' I will be the creator ''god''
of Homo Novis and save this planet from Xenu ''

:confused2:

Caroline

Patron Meritorious
Sorry, when I use Scilon-speak, it's an affectation. I meant case as in medical case. There is no "case" as Hubtard defined it. We are meat computers with an average of 150 mistakes in our core code. Sometimes those mistakes are serious, and leave someone broken, but the good news is that medical science can fix a lot of those cases. In more primitive times, people looked to religion to fix what medical sceince couldn't. Sometimes it did, and sometimes it was nothing more than a placebo. Sometimes, as when it blamed mental illness on demon possesion, it was poison, not medicine. But people of good will, medical or religious, try to fix those who are broken through no fualt of their own.

Hubbard never even tried.

I was thinkning of Lisa McPherson when I wrote the first post. She was broken. She could have been fixed, or at least fixed up to working condition, even if she'd never be completely neurotypical.

It's my considered opinion that, in the 1960s and early 70s, Hubbard either knew that Scientology tech didn't work, or believed in could, but was bluffing while he desperately searched for workable tech - which amounts to the same thing: fraud.

He knew he couldn't help the seriously broken. So he turned them out, but only after he gave them false hope and fleeced them. He waited until they got to Flag to break the illegal PC notion over their heads.

The other group that flocked to Hubbard in some numbers in that era were the hippies who were trying to find some meaning in life. They bounced from guru to guru, hence they were dilettantes. Some of them were briefly attracted to Hubbard. What Hubbard offered was a transcendental experience, one that could be mirrored by drugs. I'm not sure why anyone who has "exteriorized" by obviously chemical means would think that the out of body sensation is anything other than a chemically-induced delusion in the meat computer. And I think Hubbard excluded them because he feared that a significant chunk of them would eventually figure that out and call him on his bullshit. Hence the LSD = illegal PC view he promulgated.

At least that's the way I read Hubbard the Con Man.

So I'm not denigrating that segment - unless you read what I wrtoe from a $CN lens, which as a never-in, I never write from. I'm not skilled enough to pull that off convincingly.

I'm saying that a true religious leader would try to help that segment as well as or even above all others. But compassion doesn't exist on the tone scale, does it? You don't look down on the broken, you reach down.

To lend a helping hand.

Your use of the word "case" in your post was understandable and I recognized it as a neutral medical term. Scientologists' use of the word "case" is also not always/usually demeaning, except in a context that is not at issue here; for example, "case on post."

"Illegal PC" is a Scientology specific term, and quite analytically defined in the bulletin I quoted. I didn't pick up the affectation, so thought you yourself were being analytical. Sorry.

"Illegal PCs" are not messed up "cases" by wog medical standards. The HCOB is the standard by which cases are so labeled in the cult.

Why Hubbard and Scientologists class these diverse societal groups as "illegal pcs," is possibly explained by wog medical science, perhaps organized paranoid aggressive animus.

I'm beginning to get where you're coming from, thanks.

JustSheila

Crusader
I'm not sure why anyone who has "exteriorized" by obviously chemical means would think that the out of body sensation is anything other than a chemically-induced delusion in the meat computer. And I think Hubbard excluded them because he feared that a significant chunk of them would eventually figure that out and call him on his bullshit.

^^ :yes: That's exactly what I thought at the time LRH first issued the policy excluding those who had taken LSD from the Sea Org.

Panda Termint

Cabal Of One
New Man is an old product which has been successfully sold to many men since Man was young.

It's one of the easiest things to sell and is the basis of much marketing. Try (this), you'll be a new man! :)

Idle Morgue

Gold Meritorious Patron
I must take exception to that. After hundreds of hours of processing, thousands of hours of TRs, listening to all the PDC tapes, purif, and thousands of hours of looking up words, My IQ DID increase! By 2 points! And i know that was an objective measurement, because it was on the exact same test that i took half a dozen times or more.

Also, after many intensives of sec-checking and FPRD, my eyesight didn't get any worse! It remained the same!

I always had perfect vision - after I started up the Bridge to total Smash - I needed glasses - obviously my "reactive mind" was telling me - there is SOMETHING YOU CAN'T SEE!! Once I left - my vision actually improved!!:yes: CRINGE ~ to think I wanted to "get rid" of that part of my mind that warned me of DANGER!!:duh: And I spent $$$,$$$ and years trying to do just that!! :duh::duh::duh::duh::duh: