What's new

Basics Books Bonza Buggerup

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Finding out about the big "donate now to get it up to $130 million" fund is what totally ended my involvement with the CoS

I'd like to gather all the data on this in one place and thought a new thread would be the best way to do it.

I googled 'national library database" and found that there were over 800 public libraries in Australia.

They share a total of 177 Basics Books between them.

One year ago we were told that Oz was "done" - every library had all 18 books now on its shelves. Watch the public roll in now!

What happened?

Were are the books?

I'm still awaiting a phone call to answer my question.

If you google the databases, they have one for most other countries in the world.

I had a quick look at New Zealand's and it's the same as Oz's.

Go figure.

But put your data here so we all can share.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scooter, you missed the real truth here.

All the libraries had all the basic books, but they were soooooo popular, and got checked out of the library by patrons who realized they were so valuable that the patrons just kept them. That is why they don't show on the library data base. And the only solution is to raise another $130 to fill the libraries again.

Never believe any google report as it is all from the internet anyhow. geez:duh:

nowwhat

Patron with Honors
It was basically a scam. The books are made in-house and with slave labor wages.

There are videos on youtube showing librarians sorting through and throwing out the basics books.

It was a huge plot to get a ton of revenue really quickly. And I bet those copyrights getting close to expiration had nothing to do with the re-release either :whistling:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
Fine but what's needed here is the actual data. Post the YouTube vids or quote which libraries have thrown out their copies here.

Actual verifiable facts is what I'm after. Maybe it's just my 30-odd years as a Techie but I like to have cold hard facts at my disposal - that's why I started this thread.

Yes it's a scam but the average Scio won't believe that unless you hit them with "exact time place form event" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

That's what I want to do with this thread - get all the data in one place so it can be used as a reference.

Most of the stuff that the Cos does can sort of be defended on the grounds of subjectivity - it becomes one opinion against another.

And we never let "group think" get in the way of "clearing the planet" now, do we?

But $130 million US of hard-earned down the toilet isn't arguable. Not if you have the facts to back it up. I see this as THE chink in the armour.

Maybe I'm just riding a hobby-horse here.

But humour me eh?

minnie

Patron with Honors
Oh they're all there by postulate, existing in their own theta universe space parallel with the library bookshelves. They have no location in mest space or any type of catalogue. :lol:

To quote that particular email courtesy of Clambake:

"STOP PRESS!
AUSTRALIA IS DONE!
Just as this edition of Basics News was about to go out, we got word that the Australian Library Donation Campaign is COMPLETE!

We have now completed the funding to put LRH Basics books into ALL Australian public, Government and University libraries!

The books are on their way – as of writing – in a container – on a ship!

Every one who contributed are commended and thanked!"

:happydance: :duh:

Thrak

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scooter, you missed the real truth here.

All the libraries had all the basic books, but they were soooooo popular, and got checked out of the library by patrons who realized they were so valuable that the patrons just kept them. That is why they don't show on the library data base. And the only solution is to raise another $130 to fill the libraries again.

Never believe any google report as it is all from the internet anyhow. geez:duh:

I think he was looking for a more helpful response. This is a pretty good question and could wake a lot of people up.

Neo

Silver Meritorious Patron

No, I think this is a very important issue. It is something that can be verified, to a large degree. And given the very large sums of money involved, it is vital that the data be collected together.

Neo

Quote from Scooter.

"Maybe I'm just riding a hobby-horse here."

It seems to me this is an easy way to show to those still in that they are being lied to.

It is easy to present and verify. It is not "tech" or "Ron" and so does not seem anywhere near as harmful to do their own research. They don't have to search "entheta" sites. Just find out out about books in public libararies.

Could possibly be given the message in pickets. "How many lrh books in public libraries -check these public library data sites"

Fine but what's needed here is the actual data. Post the YouTube vids or quote which libraries have thrown out their copies here.

Actual verifiable facts is what I'm after. Maybe it's just my 30-odd years as a Techie but I like to have cold hard facts at my disposal - that's why I started this thread.

Yes it's a scam but the average Scio won't believe that unless you hit them with "exact time place form event" etc. etc. ad nauseum.

That's what I want to do with this thread - get all the data in one place so it can be used as a reference.

Most of the stuff that the Cos does can sort of be defended on the grounds of subjectivity - it becomes one opinion against another.

And we never let "group think" get in the way of "clearing the planet" now, do we?

But $130 million US of hard-earned down the toilet isn't arguable. Not if you have the facts to back it up. I see this as THE chink in the armour.

But humour me eh?

Anon did some local research on the topic earlier this year:

Scientology’s Library Donation Service… Scam or Fundraiser?
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgb4wckx_16cb7brwc4

$cientology claims 100% of libraries in US now have the basic books package
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/7-ge...raries-us-now-have-basic-books-package-15184/

Infuse the Planet with SOURCE--International Library Donation Campaign
http://forums.whyweprotest.net/8-ed...nternational-library-donation-campaign-15450/

Scientology Library Dump - Unpacking the 9th set of Basics!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9WONcalmus

Scientology Library Dump - Recycling the Basics!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzCfrkmdXY4

Scientology Books in Libraries? NOT SO FAST !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9wywPE_Y0

Scientology's Library Donation Service… Scam or Fundraiser?
http://anon-galaxy.blogspot.com/2008/07/scientologys-library-donation-service_24.html

And many more links in those articles with more research. (if you come over links with forums.enturbulation.org just change it to forums.whyweprotest.net. Example: http://forums.enturbulation.org/7-general-discussion/books-libraries-scam-10105/#post182602 would be http://forums.whyweprotest.net/7-general-discussion/books-libraries-scam-10105/#post182602)

Supra

Patron

But humour me eh?

Good thinking mate.

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

But humour me eh?

I actually agree with you wholeheartedly Scooter. The CoS has such a huge PR machine, and so much false data and perspective on a lot of things.

I was originally just going to post earlier with just one short line, "the CoS is one big FALSE REPORT..card!!! But I thought it over and realized that was to much of an absolute statement in itself. The truth is the CoS is hell bent on making the world believe what Ron Promised, that "scientology is the road to total freedom" It is NOT, there is NO proof of it. Sure there are many truths that LRH wrote or spoke about, (leaving aside where/who those truths actually came from), but there are many falsehoods mixed in and a road to total freedom can contain NO lies, none at all.

It is in the area of the gains gotten from the truths in scientology, along with our personal hopes of gaining so much more truth, that predisposed us to accepting falsehoods from the "Source of such truths and gains.

Some truth + some truth + some lies + some more truth + some more lies does not = a true road to total freedom. But rather a highway with many pot holes and subsequent perils, and never arrives where we thought it would.

So the cold hard facts which your are reaching for, can be used as signposts to warn of the lies in the formula, and the overall correct viewpoint that is the past and existing scene of a dangerous highway.

The bottom line is that when enough people such as you keep finding and pointing out the lies from the CoS, then even those who are on the road will begin to understand why they are having such a hard time to actualize their dreams and that the destination intended cannot be arrived at on this road, and they will take the nearest exit.

outtech

Patron with Honors
I googled 'national library database" and found that there were over 800 public libraries in Australia.

They share a total of 177 Basics Books between them.

One year ago we were told that Oz was "done" - every library had all 18 books now on its shelves. Watch the public roll in now!

What happened?

Were are the books?

Anon did some fact checking along these lines earlier in the year, here are the trends for the major Australian libraries as of July 2008:

Link: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgb4wckx_16cb7brwc4#AU (Also includes the trends for the US, UK and Canada)

* Old editions are few and far between in Australia. When they are listed, it's never a complete set.

* New editions are seldom found and when they are it's never in the city/regional libraries. Full sets of the basics only show up in the rare university.

* Single copies of the dvd are often the only recent thing found outside of science fiction novels.

University of Adelaide Library System (3 branches)
no books, 2 dvd's
Cairns Libraries (9 branches)
no books, 1 dvd
Clarence Regional Library System (10 branches)
none
Corangamite Regional Library System (10 branches)
no books, 4 dvd's
Deakin University Library
no books, 1 dvd
Glen Eira City Library System (4 branches)
no books, 1 dvd
Holroyd City Library System (3 branches)
no books, 1 dvd
Griffith University (8 campuses)
none
Kogarah Municipal Library System (3 branches)
no books, 1 dvd
Latrobe University Library System (3 campuses)
no books, 2 dvd's
Mackay Regional Library System (8 branches)
no books, 1 dvd
Macquarie Regional Library System (15 branches)
none
Macquarie University Library
none
Monash University Library
18 books 1 copy each, 1 dvd
Murdoch University Library System (8 branches)
18 books with 1 copy each plus 1 extra, 2 dvd's
National Library of Australia in Canberra
none
Newcastle Region Library System (9 branches)
none
Port Phillip Library Service (5 branches)
none
South Tablelands Regional Library System (8 branches)
1 video
State Library of Victoria in Melbourne
no books, 1 dvd
University of Sydney Library System (18 campuses)
10 books 1 copy each
University of Melbourne Library System (18 facilities)
none
University of Western Sydney Library System (7 campuses)
none

*Edit: oops julenissen222 has some good links, I should have read the whole thread.

Last edited:

Little Bear Victor

Silver Meritorious Patron
Scooter,

That $130,000,000 did not go to "getting the books in the library," for if that was the objective, it would have been done at materials+shipping cost, not the full retail price. The materials cost is about $40-50 for the entire set. With slow-boat shipping it would cost around $50,000 to get the books into 800 libraries. So the worst part of the scam is that $129,950,000 of it was just plain, tax-free "non-profit" profit, that DM didn't have to account for the use of to no one.

(If "The Basics" means the books and the lectures in this case, you can 3-4X the materials cost, which won't make much of a dent to the profit.)

V

Last edited:

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
I just checked the completed listings at www.ebay.com, and the last five sets of 18 books went for $31, $48, $36, $32, $33. Total, plus shipping, new, in shrinkwrap. That is the true free-market value of these books: a couple of bucks each.

Paul

T

TheSneakster

The books are made in-house and with slave labor wages.

This assertion is almost certainly false.

When I was staff at Publications Org U.S. (which at that time was still part of Church of Scientology of California), I assisted on the Great Audit Project which was preliminary to forming Bridge Publications, Inc. as a separate for-profit corporation from CSC. One of the tasks this internal Audit Project had was to provide evidence of the cost-value of all the assets being transferred to this new corporation which included all the books, tapes, e-meters and everything else in the Pubs US inventory. As a result, I personally examined the bills related to the production of these things.

All the books were printed and bound by major outside ("wog") companies. C of $ never had any facilities for mass production of books. This was still the case up to my departure from staff in December 1995.

There have been no reports of Bridge Publications or Golden Era Productions ever acquiring or operating any such facilities since that time; nor is it ever likely to happen, as such large-scale operations have to be kept in operation nearly 24/7 to make a profit and consume vast quantities of paper, ink, electricity, etc. in the process.

When you don't know what you are talking about, don't just make up lies.

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* anonymous.

T

TheSneakster

The materials cost is about $40-50 for the entire set.

If my recollection is correct, the cost-value of the 18 hard bound books in that set was around twice that back in 1980. With inflation, rising paper costs, etc. It's a good bet that that cost-value is now at least twice again. So I'd make it a minimum of USD $200 cost-value for one set of those 18 Basics Books (hardbound, which is what you would send to a library).

Michael "The Sneakster" Hobson
I am *not* Anonymous