What's new

Carla Moxon saves the world!

George Layton

Silver Meritorious Patron
OK, I have to play devil's advocate here. Prefaced with the feeling I have that she is very likely indeed nuts and it seems there is a lot of "wierdness" surrounding the Moxon family name....

What evidence do we have that this toastmaster's meeting was not an exercise along the lines of "Present a made-up story about UFO's and make it sound convincing"? Has anyone here been a member of Toastmasters before? Do they make up subjects for people to talk about, just for the practice?

toastmaster is a cousin of
toaster.jpg
the easy bake oven
easybake.jpg

which is the prototype of
newemeter.jpg

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Um, it's good that they saved the world's 7 billion humans and didn't even charge anything for it. Must be some kind of free new introductory Div VI service.

Scientology: Where mental illness is celebrated as a win called OT.

Jon Atak, writing on Ortega's blog: "At the end of the spectrum of thought reform,

as described by Robert Jay Lifton, comes 'dispensing of existence'. When the individual

becomes so taken up by a belief system, opponents are seen as vermin ('squirrels' in Hubspeak) to be disposed of.

Their humanity is denied. A former Investigation Aide at OSA told me, just yesterday, that I was subjected to more harassment

than any other non-US critic, so I know very well that 'dispensing of existence' is an essential aspect of the Tech.

Until your mirror neurons are readjusted, and you can use the word 'victim' with kindness, instead of contempt,

you should be very worried that you have been robbed of your own humanity and that a pseudo-identity (or 'valence')

has been grafted onto your existing personality. Of course, if such an identity had been grafted onto you,

there would be absolutely no way of knowing. And thanks to all who contributed, again for showing that

we ex-members can sometimes think our way out of the bag!"

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Carla Moxon saves the world! - Renaissance Speakers - Not Toastmasters

<snip>
Would someone please post to The Underground Bunker that the video above came from Scientology's Renaissance Speakers group, not Toastmasters?

It's not clear to what extent Renaissance Speakers has (or had) an affiliation with Toastmasters, but I'd think Mr. Ortega would want to report this detail. <snip>

EDIT: Please disregard. Just read the comments @ The Underground Bunker and see this has already been addressed.

Sorry, all.

JB

Last edited:

Reasonable

Sounds to me like that was just some kind of Toastmasters training. Get up and tell a story.

Obviously it didn't sound like a real event and the reaction of the audience seemed to confirm it was just an exercise in public speaking, in my humble opinion.

At the end the people in the audience were clapping and laughing so I thought maybe this is supposed to be a made up story but while she tells the story almost cries when she says how she saves the Earth so maybe she does believe this.

MissWog

Goodness... Well, if the assignment was to make up an outlandish story and tell it as if it were completely reasonable and true then this is not so crazy since the story assignment would be to make crazy sounds normal.

but, if it $cn toastmasters.. Then we got a whole other list of possibilities and speaking to John Ataks article today I'm impressed that she and her husband can share a hallucination via mutual hypnosis! Think of how great the sex could be!

freethinker

Sponsor

There is a Toastmasters sign to the left in the video. Can't confuse that with Renaissance Speakers.
<snip>
Would someone please post to The Underground Bunker that the video above came from Scientology's Renaissance Speakers group, not Toastmasters?

It's not clear to what extent Renaissance Speakers has (or had) an affiliation with Toastmasters, but I'd think Mr. Ortega would want to report this detail. <snip>

EDIT: Please disregard. Just read the comments @ The Underground Bunker and see this has already been addressed.

Sorry, all.

JB

MissWog

At the end the people in the audience were clapping and laughing so I thought maybe this is supposed to be a made up story but while she tells the story almost cries when she says how she saves the Earth so maybe she does believe this.
Public speaking comes very naturaly to me..she appeared nervous and that is completely understandable! It's not easy to get up like that and even I have jitters for the first 3 seconds but once my mouth starts talking I'm just fine (I was a corp trainer for a years and over saw all the new hire training at a large Internet company, it's not easy for everyone..many times SMOs were a wreck hosting their session but knew the material perfectly..sometimes it was so hard for them I did the deck and they fielded the Q&A)

JBWriter

Happy Sapien
Re: Carla Moxon saves the world! - Renaissance Speakers - Toastmasters-affiliated

There is a Toastmasters sign to the left in the video. Can't confuse that with Renaissance Speakers.

Good point, FT. :thumbsup:

After reviewing the comments on The Underground Bunker, it appears that the Renaissance Speakers group is a closed-to-all-but-scio-members Toastmaster-affiliated entity.

The YouTube channel for RS has 104 videos.
IMO, the vids are... :ohmy::screwy::blah::puke::mindblow::dizzy::headspin::bs:

JB

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

There's a THE RENAIS... TOAST... sign to the right, though.

Paul

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
I think that you are assuming too much here. Hubbard said Scientologists are special. I wonder in what way?

Well, even if you exclude the auditing many of them have had, they have TRs - drills which involve confronting and communicating with people. So by their own lights, shouldn't they be better at speaking in public - a public which, after all, is composed of people - than a non-Scientologist would be?

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Well, even if you exclude the auditing many of them have had, they have TRs - drills which involve confronting and communicating with people. So by their own lights, shouldn't they be better at speaking in public - a public which, after all, is composed of people - than a non-Scientologist would be?

TRs involve communicating with ONE person sitting three feet in front. Admin TRs include addressing groups, a bit, but regular TRs don't. Public speaking is a whole other ability.

Paul

Cat's Squirrel

Gold Meritorious Patron
TRs involve communicating with ONE person sitting three feet in front. Admin TRs include addressing groups, a bit, but regular TRs don't. Public speaking is a whole other ability.

Paul

You're probably right Paul. I'm just wondering though what it would be like the other way round; if you had a great public speaker like Winston Churchill, put him in front of another person and got him to do the TRs, would that be a "whole other ability" for him as well?

And is it a different level again when you're addressing huge crowds, such as Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech or the Pope's yearly address to the faithful at Easter?

Last edited:

dchoiceisalwaysrs

Gold Meritorious Patron

Yes and on the Toastmasters sign it looks like it says Chapter 374. Also I noticed the stage and the backdrop and then viewed other Youtube selections with same backdrop. The first one I caught "the Missing Ingredient" was of a guying Lance Miller having to speak about "the truth about Drugs campaign" in the city of Stockton. On that stage is also BOTH the toastmasters sign and the Renaissance Speakers Hollywood sign as well as the same podium which I think might be a CCint Podium . It is filled with Scientology commonly used words. He then goes on to mention the Foundation for a Drug Free World. And here is one interesting claim...he had programs that have detected Marijuana in his fatty tissues from his college days (probably at least 2 decades earlier LOL)

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9DCBPuVvj4

I removed the H off of the beginning of the link above to Save anyone having to listen to LRH's plagiarized
"the missing ingredient' lecture..from I think the Power of Simplicity tape set.

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9DCBPuVvj4

I removed the H off of the beginning of the link above to Save anyone having to listen to LRH's plagiarized
"the missing ingredient' lecture..from I think the Power of Simplicity tape set.

Yup. Works perfectly if you lick on it. :)

Paul

TG1

Angelic Poster
The communication skills required to communicate effectively and persuasively vary, depending on whether the communication is:

One on one
In small groups
To large groups
To mega-sized groups
In person
On the phone
Via video conference call
Sitting at a conference table
Standing at a podium
Standing in space (not behind a podium)
Broadcast via television
Low-def
High-def
Good lighting
Bad lighting
Etc.

It ain't simple at all.

TG1

apple

Patron Meritorious

I think that Paul answered your question. In the time I was involved with Scn. I was never drilled on public speaking or speaking in front of a large group of people, maybe only at a Friday night graduation briefly. From my experience just because someone is a scientologist does not make them better than a non-scientologist, in fact it probably may be the opposite in some ways. Me as a scientologist was told that I was better, that was a lie.

Last edited:

Udarnik

Gold Meritorious Patron
True, but that level of frugality is very odd for a lawyer's wife. Maybe she's spending every spare dime she can afford on her Bridge, donations to the CofS legal fund etc.

There is also the desire to fit into one's environment and the desire not to stick out in away that looks like you have excess cash for further regging.