What's new

Am I OT?

No Mimsey, it really doesn't ... but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

:yes:

MrNobody Dear Mimsey,

It truly makes me sad to see that you're suffering from such severe delusions.

My best wishes to you and your caretakers (who will hopefully let you out of your padded cell ASAP),

MrN

I want to respond thus: I do not consider myself unusual.

There are many of these abilities that people have that can be called OT or, in the case of Mr Nobody - delusions. Example: Knowing who is calling you on the phone. This has happened to many who have posted here. Is it real?

It has been tested in multiple experiments, and the experiment is so simple you can do it your self. It goes like this. A person (A) gives the names of 4 close friends to a fifth person (B). It is arranged that within a prearranged hour one of them will call (A) None of these people are in the same building or within eye shot of each other. Each of the 4 are assigned a number between 1 and 4 (B) rolls a dice and calls the one who corresponds with the dice roll. If he rolls a 5 or a 6 he re rolls the dice until he gets a number from 1-4. The fifth person calls that person, and tells him to call (A). When (A) hears the phone ring he/she has to write down the name of the person calling. Then answer the phone.

The odds are this: If a random number is chosen the response will be 25% or one in four.

Some people are better at this than others.

What do you think the results were?

The experimenter ran 854 experiments on 65 people back in the 2000's The overall success rate was 42%. Many were video taped.

The odds against that happening are 10 to the 26 power to one.

Let’s look at another experiment you can perform on your own. You can go outside and stare at random people and see how many turn around and look at you. It happens way too often to be chance. How do you explain it? You are giving no clues to the person being stared at. You can do this while looking through windows or in mirrors. Yet it happens. Again, some are better at it than others.

The largest experiment of this nature is being done in Amsterdam since 1995. In By march 2002 18,793 persons had participated in the test.

The looker sits behind the person and is instructed by a computer screen when to look or not look at the person in front of them (who is facing away from them) The person in front of them then enters in the computer when he /she feels being stared at. Simple enough?

Care to guess how that went?

The random response would be 20%

Males aged under 8 – 41%, aged 9-16 37 % over 17 35%
Females aged under 8 – 38%, aged 9-16 32%, aged over 17 – 33%

My point is this:
These are native abilities.

I am not special – you have these abilities as well to a lessor or grater degree.

The big cognition of all this is:

The allure of Scientology is that it offers you OT abilities.

The lie is that it does not give you anything. You have these abilities already to a lessor or greater degree. Hubbard's con is that he is selling snow to Eskimos and calling it something else. He is selling you your own abilities and calling them OT powers.

Best,

Mimsey

For more information about these experiments or others of that nature, read this book which you can purchase at Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Being-...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+sense+of+being+stared+at

51dZgCOZv-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
Re: Is ESMB a "safe space" ?

All I have to say is: it happened. Can I repeat it? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Let me give two examples and then explain. One time, back the '68 or 69 I was on course and i wondered what it would be like to be a stapler. I briefly was the stapler. Or in it. The stapler sees life like this: It is total effect. Everything moves it. It is in a very apathetic frame of mind. It was just a split second. But I duplicated how it viewed life.

Next example: I was going to run an all hands staff bulk filing after hours of central files. I needed some sleep - I went over to a friends apartment in the Hadson across the street from the Martinique. The last thought I had before going to sleep was: I will get more rest if I am exterior from the body than in it. When awoke, I was exterior and walking to the org - people looked like ants, and busses like matchbook toys.

<snip>

So, truthfully, it doesn't matter whether people believe these things happened or not. My answer is they happened to me and I am not going to invalidate that they did. So. I hope that answers your question.

Mimsey
This is the kind of thing that is a part of Hubbard's trap that I find quite annoying.

First, I have experienced a number of quite amazing similar things and I believe there is more to life than just the body. I don't discount your experiences because they are surprisingly common. If you have ever talked about "weird experiences" in a group of people, you will find many people have had things happen that cannot be explained if we are only bodies.

I'm not saying all such experiences are real, I'm just saying that many people have these experiences.

But here is the real point: These kind of things happen amazingly often OUTSIDE OF SCIENTOLOGY. Hubbard's clever trap was the convince people that this kind of thing happens because of Scientology. That's a lie -- and a big one.

If Scientology processes had anything to do with creating such experiences:
  • Most Scientologists would have many such experiences - they don't
  • Specific processes would be known to produce such experiences - they don't
  • Scientologists would have more such experiences than other groups - they don't.
It's a clever scam but it is just part of the Scientology fraud. But because True Believers attribute these common experiences only to Scientology, they give weight to Hubbard's completely bogus claims. True Believers forward the trap with such stories. That is bad.

Which is why, in my mind, such stories get such a negative reaction here. The idea that these things are a result of Scientology must be debunked.

I understand the idea that we must be welcoming of new visitors. It's a nice idea.

But to expect everyone who was defrauded by Scientology, everyone who was abused by Scientology, everyone who was damaged by Scientology to welcome pro-Scientology stories is just absurd. How about having some awareness of how some people here have been badly damaged by the very fraud you are forwarding.

Bill

strativarius

Inveterate gnashnab & snoutband

Let me give two examples and then explain. One time, back the '68 or 69 I was on course and i wondered what it would be like to be a stapler. I briefly was the stapler. Or in it. [highlight]The stapler sees life like this: It is total effect[/highlight]. Everything moves it. It is in a very apathetic frame of mind. It was just a split second. But I duplicated how it viewed life. <snip>

Mimsey

Come on Mimsey, be serious, how can you say with a straight face that an inanimate object like a stapler actually 'sees life' or that 'you duplicated how it viewed life'?

As for the rest of your post, old matey's one million dollars is still up for grabs AFAIK. Why don't you make a claim for it?

Come on Mimsey, be serious, how can you say with a straight face that an inanimate object like a stapler actually 'sees life' or that 'you duplicated how it viewed life'?

As for the rest of your post, old matey's one million dollars is still up for grabs AFAIK. Why don't you make a claim for it?
I ain't the only one....

Animism (from Latin anima, "breath, spirit, life")[1][2] is the worldview that entities in nature—such as animals, plants, and often even inanimate objects—possess a spiritual essence.[3][4][5]

Animism is used in the anthropology of religion as a term for the belief system of many indigenous tribal peoples,[6] especially in contrast to the relatively more recent development of organized religions.[7] Although each culture has its own different mythologies and rituals, "animism" is said to describe the most common, foundational thread of indigenous peoples' "spiritual" or "supernatural" perspectives. The animistic perspective is so widely held and inherent to most animistic indigenous peoples that they often do not even have a word in their languages that corresponds to "animism" (or even "religion");[8] the term is an anthropological construct.

Largely due to such ethnolinguistic and cultural discrepancies, opinion has differed on whether animism refers to a broad religious belief or to a full-fledged religion in its own right. The currently accepted definition of animism was only developed in the late 19th century by Sir Edward Tylor, who created it as "one of anthropology's earliest concepts, if not the first".[9]

Animism encompasses the beliefs that there is no separation between the spiritual and physical (or material) world, and that souls or spirits exist, not only in humans, but also in some other animals, plants, rocks, geographic features such as mountains or rivers, or other entities of the natural environment, including thunder, wind, and shadows. Animism thus rejects Cartesian dualism.
More at the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animism

Am I OT? A better question is: “Are you OT?” Yes, does each person have OT abilities? Do they exist?

Let me get you up to speed, by quoting a few recent posts, then answer the question:

It starts here:

Originally Posted by Veda
Snip...

Are we driving away corporate Scientology members who are considering leaving corporate Scientology?, but who do not feel "safe" posting here?
Originally posted by Mimsey
Maybe. When I first started posting here, as a newly declared scio, I posted some stuff about seeing gold anchor points, moving the anchor points of a car I was about to slide into and having the car move ahead and was attacked, dragged over the coals. You still see it a lot here -someone posts something they liked about Scientology and they get jumped on.

So I would say, no. It's not so safe. It's like eating spicy food - if you can stand the heat, it's tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by I told you I was trouble View Post
To be fair though Mims, if you made those statements within any "normal" group of people you'd expect some funny looks and possible laughter or derision so why would people at ESMB be expected to react any differently? It wasn't a statement about something you just liked in scio, apparently it was about something extreme that you believed you could do ... with no proof (an oatee success story).

Snip

Do you still believe you can "have the car move ahead"?

Snip

Originally posted by Mimsey

Let me give two examples and then explain. One time, back the '68 or 69 I was on course and i wondered what it would be like to be a stapler. I briefly was the stapler. Or in it. The stapler sees life like this: It is total effect. Everything moves it. It is in a very apathetic frame of mind. It was just a split second. But I duplicated how it viewed life.

Next example: I was going to run an all hands staff bulk filing after hours of central files. I needed some sleep - I went over to a friends apartment in the Hadson across the street from the Martinique. The last thought I had before going to sleep was: I will get more rest if I am exterior from the body than in it. When awoke, I was exterior and walking to the org - people looked like ants, and busses like matchbook toys.

There is this common thread in all three stories: There was the thought and there was no Counter Intention. There was no must have. There was the decision to do it and it happened. If I were to go out side and try to move my wifes car there would be too much counter intention, other intention, expectation etc. for it to happen. I can't explain it any better than you decide in the instant to do it with no preconception that you are going to do it. And you instantly do it.

How weird you say. But, you are wrong. When you type on a keyboard you hardly think yet your fingers type the letters - yet if you start thinking about how to type, you start messing up. There is no thinking. Just the concept and it's execution. It's almost too simple. And yet it's very hard to do if you have to do it. Too much gets in the way.

The closest I have come to doing exteriorization on command is during e-meter drill 16 - when you are supposed to do a theta bop. I can visualize my self out and get the theta bop pretty much every time. However, it is hardly on a level of seeing the world from outside my head.

So, truthfully, it doesn't matter whether people believe these things happened or not. My answer is they happened to me and I am not going to invalidate that they did. So. I hope that answers your question.

Mimsey

Quote Originally Posted by I told you I was trouble View Post

No Mimsey, it really doesn't ... but I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

MrNobody Dear Mimsey,

It truly makes me sad to see that you're suffering from such severe delusions.

My best wishes to you and your caretakers (who will hopefully let you out of your padded cell ASAP),

MrN

Originally posted by Bill

This is the kind of thing that is a part of Hubbard's trap that I find quite annoying.

First, I have experienced a number of quite amazing similar things and I believe there is more to life than just the body. I don't discount your experiences because they are surprisingly common. If you have ever talked about "weird experiences" in a group of people, you will find many people have had things happen that cannot be explained if we are only bodies.

I'm not saying all such experiences are real, I'm just saying that many people have these experiences.

But here is the real point: These kind of things happen amazingly often OUTSIDE OF SCIENTOLOGY. Hubbard's clever trap was the convince people that this kind of thing happens because of Scientology. That's a lie -- and a big one.

If Scientology processes had anything to do with creating such experiences:
o Most Scientologists would have many such experiences - they don't
o Specific processes would be known to produce such experiences - they don't
o Scientologists would have more such experiences than other groups - they don't.

It's a clever scam but it is just part of the Scientology fraud. But because True Believers attribute these common experiences only to Scientology, they give weight to Hubbard's completely bogus claims. True Believers forward the trap with such stories. That is bad.

Which is why, in my mind, such stories get such a negative reaction here. The idea that these things are a result of Scientology must be debunked.

I understand the idea that we must be welcoming of new visitors. It's a nice idea.

But to expect everyone who was defrauded by Scientology, everyone who was abused by Scientology, everyone who was damaged by Scientology to welcome pro-Scientology stories is just absurd. How about having some awareness of how some people here have been badly damaged by the very fraud you are forwarding.

Bill

I want to respond thus: I do not consider myself unusual.

There are many of these abilities that people have that can be called OT or, in the case of Mr Nobody - delusions. Example: Knowing who is calling you on the phone. This has happened to many who have posted here. Is it real?

It has been tested in multiple experiments, and the experiment is so simple you can do it your self. It goes like this. A person (A) gives the names of 4 close friends to a fifth person (B). It is arranged that within a prearranged hour one of them will call (A) None of these people are in the same building or within eye shot of each other. Each of the 4 are assigned a number between 1 and 4 (B) rolls a dice and calls the one who corresponds with the dice roll. If he rolls a 5 or a 6 he re rolls the dice again until he gets a number from 1-4. The fifth person calls that person, and tells him to call (A). When (A) hears the phone ring he/she has to write down the name of the person calling. Then answer the phone.

The odds are this: If a random number is chosen the response will be 25% or one in four.

Some people are better at this than others.

What do you think the results were?

The experimenter ran 854 experiments on 65 people back in the 2000's The overall success rate was 42%. Many were video taped.

The odds against that happening are 10 to the 26 power to one.

Let’s look at another experiment you can perform on your own. You can go outside and stare at random people and see how many turn around and look at you. It happens way too often to be chance. How do you explain it? You are giving no clues to the person being stared at. You can do this while looking through windows or in mirrors. Yet it happens. Again, some are better at it than others.

The largest experiment of this nature is being done in Amsterdam since 1995. In By march 2002 18,793 persons had participated in the test.

The looker sits behind the person and is instructed by a computer screen when to look or not look at the person in front of them (who is facing away from them) The person in front of them then enters in the computer when he /she feels being stared at. Simple enough?

Care to guess how that went?

The random response would be 20%

Males aged under 8 – 41%, aged 9-16 37 % over 17 35%
Females aged under 8 – 38%, aged 9-16 32%, aged over 17 – 33%

My point is this:
These are native abilities.

I am not special or OT – you have these abilities as well to a lessor or greater degree.

The big cognition of all this is:

The allure of Scientology is that it offers you OT abilities.

The lie is that it does not give you anything. You have these abilities already to a lessor or greater degree. Hubbard's con is that he is selling snow to Eskimos and calling it something else. He is selling you your own abilities and calling them OT powers.

Best,

Mimsey

For more information about these experiments or others of that nature, read this book which you can purchase at Amazon.com:
https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Being-S...eing+stared+at
BC_sense_of_being_stared_at.jpg

Last edited:

strativarius

Am I OT? A better question is: “Are you OT?” Yes, does each person have OT abilities? Do they exist?
<snip>

Mimsey, if you want to quote multiple posts of others in your own post, simply click on the icon that's on the extreme right of the bar that all the smiley's are on. That way it won't be so confusing to the reader to see who you are quoting and what you're replying to.

HTH,

stratty.

Is being OT more like being a god? In my opinion, we are all Gods, from helping a pensioner cross the road to raising funds for a sick child. we do not need intensive auditing paying thousands to make us into an OT. We as human beings have qualities, we need to work on our qualities, there is no supreme being, we are what we are. what excites me in life, is we have pluses and minuses. thats what keeps us going. One thing that I do agree with in Scientology is keeping in PT. in real world thats called Mindfullness. Its Free and does not cost you anything. Good post guys!

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!

https://www.amazon.com/Sense-Being-...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+sense+of+being+stared+at

51dZgCOZv-L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Funny that you post that book
I am actuallly reading it for one month

I planned to post a review of it, since I found it to be the best book to demystify ''oatee'' levels...

The main subject are the 6th and 7th senses and how it manifests with people\animals in daily life.
Anyone can relates to some experiences and stories.
But the stories with animals are just amazing.

I recommand it for aperfect introduction to the vast array of NORMAL abilities we propably all have NATURALLY, but may not be aware of it, neither pay attention to it or developp it. (has so much to do with shutting the brain and let speak intuition)

plenty of stories, examples and studies though!

Last edited:

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron

Well, if you want to believe that your stapler has a soul, you have every right to do so IMO, but a whole bunch of other people believing the same thing doesn't make it any more likely to be a fact.
I think it's useless to argue about subjective experiences. Their validity can be neither proven nor disproven. It is only worthwhile when someone is running a scam based on subjective experiences.

That's why it is always worthwhile to challenge anyone who claims that Hubbard's tech causes any such phenomena. Such phenomena may certainly exist but Scientology does NOT cause any such thing and allegations that it does are part of the trapping mechanism that must be debunked.

Bill

Gold Meritorious Patron
To make a very simple answer:
NO

You are not "OT". I am not "OT". Nobody is "OT".

"OT" is a term made up by Hubbard as part of his Scientology scam. There is not such thing as "OT" and there never will be. Don't use that term because it is a Scientology term for a specific "product" allegedly produced by Hubbard's "tech" - and it is a total scam.

What I think you are really asking is "Do paranormal abilities exist?"

If that is your question, then I would say that I believe they do, but have no desire to argue the fact.

Churchill

Gold Meritorious Patron

I think it's useless to argue about subjective experiences. Their validity can be neither proven nor disproven. It is only worthwhile when someone is running a scam based on subjective experiences.

That's why it is always worthwhile to challenge anyone who claims that Hubbard's tech causes any such phenomena. Such phenomena may certainly exist but Scientology does NOT cause any such thing and allegations that it does are part of the trapping mechanism that must be debunked.

Agreed. It is useless to argue over someone's subjective experiences.

What makes Scientology such a disgusting, disreputable FRAUD are the OBJECTIVE claims made by the organization, i.e. Hubbard (increased IQ, no colds, perfect recall, total cause over MEST subjectively and objectively, which are 100% FALSE.

(Not unproven, but FALSE.)

Hubbard knew they were false when he made them, and Miscavige also knows.

It's the difference between being a dupe vs. a criminal, although they aren't

necessarily mutually exclusive.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
I am not OT neither I know any OT per what it means in $cientology and what is promessed or expected.

Otherwise, all human being have extra senses over the 5 limited senses. Those are very sensitive and subtil perceptions.
This is in no way esoteric, in spite many people want other to believe it is and they can ''acquire'' it (for$$$ and devotion)

It has to do with intuition which we all have..babies, small kids, animal have it!

But my though it that the more we try to learn things, to make our brain to analyse and compute on situations, the more we put this ability back in the closet, till we forget we were once very able to ressent things, situations, people, danger, good stuff, communicate with thoughts, and naturally know things. etc etc...

I had some sharp specific perceptics when I came in $cientolpogy, the more auditing and ethics I had..the more I lost my own abilities. After a long time I was out and began to practice tao and buddhism meditation, daily, I could again ressent things through intuition, although it took 15 years to shut (a littlebit) my mental and the hamsters off...

It's either a frenetic agitated mental or a quiet mind..
But those habilities that requires true attention can communicate with us when there is no other noise (still waters) and total attention..I think!
Some people have it all their life naturally and they operate according to those sensors.

Anyone who practices, years of yoga, tao, meditation , zen, will soon or later, get a better access to his\her sharper intuition and other levels of perceptions..real sharp...and needs less and less talk and intellectualization to understang things.

So in the event someone wants to validate the wins of having such abilities, it is my belief '' mother nature shall be applauded'' and ,because living beings are such a complex, beautiful, stunning, amaging creation of phenomanons...and we don't even know all of what we have yet...

Last edited:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Interesting thread.

But, what I am about to post might be upsetting to those here offering "Scientific Studies" that validate psi powers.

Before I say anything further, let me confide that as a human being I too have experienced abnormal phenomena of unknown and apparently inexplicable origins. Being "abnormal", one might rhetorically slip into identifying them as "paranormal"--inferring psi-related powers. But, those are two distinctly different subjects.

I could tell a thrilling example but it's not my point. Rather, I would prefer to remain satisfied that these events are not psychic powers, but what I would term UHE (Unidentified Human Experiences). Well, with that now said, let's embark on what might be, to some, a very controversial and unpleasant little post, LOL.

I read Mimsy's post that cited various scientific studies that established very credible statistical proof confirming the existence of certain paranormal abilities. My first instinct was, "Wow, I never ran into those scientific proofs/studies in my own research!"

By the end of Mimsy's post I began to wonder about those scientific studies which were not identified.

That's when the skeptic in me began to work overtime. I quickly remembered that everyone on this board (other than 'never-ins') was fully taken in by reknowned scientist, doctor and nuclear physicist L Ron Hubbard. Dr. Hubbard also published scientific studies that validated the existence of paranormal powers (called OT, exactly what this thread seeks to discuss, so I am discussing, lol)

Moments later I Googled "scientific experiments that prove ESP" and came up with a vast list of such material. Frankly, I was a little shocked that so much in the way of scientific proof/studies existed that I had, over the decades, somehow missed.

But as I read the individual search results, I quickly realized that nearly all of them were articles debunking pseudoscientific "studies" and "proof". That was consistent with my own extensive research over the many years that I have studied these subjects. But then---

--to my shock, I saw one of the search results was by the prestigious Dr. Bern from Cornell and his lifelong scientific studies that overwhelmingly validated statistical proof that psi powers existed. I felt conflicted that this discovery made me feel uneasy and instantly wondered if I have an answer bias that prevents me from seeking and accepting scientific data which bears conclusive proof of hidden human psychic powers. So, I Googled and began to read a number of articles about Dr. Berns work. Impressive was the first word that came to mind!

But, I learned a little from my experience with Dr. Hubbard and his "modern sciences", so I keep reading. I then actively searched for "debunk" material related to Dr. Bern; and very quickly found that too.

It seems that Dr. Bern's work is steeped in controversy, particularly from peer scientists who claim foul in his experiments' protocols. Some others directly label his work "badly flawed" and objected to it even being published.

In a nutshell, once he was able to find a tiny statistical anomaly (advantage), he would end off his study and publish. It was generally claimed by debunkers that he was fearful that if his sampling was larger the statistical anomalies would have ironed out and there would have been nothing whatsoever to report.

Let me describe this in more colorful layman's terms. If I was conducting scientific experiments about "LUCK" and testing if some people were "LUCKY", we might find ourselves in a Las Vegas casino. If one fellow bucked all the odds and won $10,000,000, we could prove that he did the statistical impossible, unless he was "lucky" at playing the slot machines. That small sampling (his 24 hour gambling binge) would not continue to produce the same results if we kept following that same gambler for the next 5 years. And, even worse, if we factored in the previous 5 years of his slot machine history. In short, by only capturing a small window of time, we could "scientifically prove" that he had psi powers.

I am willing to wager a friendly penny that the un-named scientific studies that Mimsy offers will not hold up well to a Google search that includes the name of the researcher (and/or studies) and the word "DEBUNK".

As a person who has done inordinate amounts of research on a very wide spectrum of subjects (over my life), I am constantly astounded that very intelligent people conduct their research without ever bothering to "dig up the dirt" by actively seeking out de-bunks of the same material and researchers.

I once had a partner in the creative world who would occasionally send me email warnings about various viruses and malware infecting computers en masse. Being a wonderfully friendly person, my then-partner just wanted to help by alerting me to ("never open any email that contains the word ______", or some version thereof). Those trojan horse warnings were always met by me with doing a 10 second search that included the word "hoax" and "debunk". One hundred percent (100%) of them were, of course, hoaxes.

I would let my partner know (sent him email) that it was a hoax. I would also ALWAYS included a little friendly note suggesting that before he send or forward these scary alerts to me (and others) that he try to do a 5 second Google search and use the word "hoax" or "debunk". He never once did such a search. It was, apparently, antipathetic to his new-agey view of life. That was a couple decades ago, but I would imagine that he is still as gullible.

What do I conclude from all of the above? Not too much, just that nobody has any proof of psi powers, even after the last 100 years of science has tried everything they could think of to confirm it.

To be honest, I regard all this as a bad hangover from Scientology. To wit, the acceptance (small or great) of pseudo-science because it is packaged to look like actual science.

I suppose it is fitting that I go out of this post in a blaze of suppressive glory by commenting specifically on Sheldrake and his book.

BC_sense_of_being_stared_at.jpg

Sheldrake is a widely known and debunked pseudo-scientist. He has a whole series of books that cannot stand up to the scrutiny of real scientific protocols. Again, a 5 second search that included the words "hoax" and "debunk" would have revealed his poor standing in the community of real scientists.

In a way, I can understand how a Scientologist (or believer) would regard looking for "debunks" as a kind of cynical logical fallacy in itself. It would be labeled "entheta" or "enemy line" or even "suppressive", wouldn't it, if someone in an org even mentioned any one (1) of the major debunks that have exposed Hubbard as a charlatan.

So, I am suggesting that if Mimsy or anyone wants to throw down "scientific proof" of the psi kind, they also include the specific name of the study and the name of the researcher and any links.

And, again, before posting it, I very strongly recommend searching for debunks of that person/study--otherwise it can get pretty embarrassing to promote already-debunked junk science. Hey, I learned a valuable lesson from Dr. Hubbard, didn't I? LOL

Last edited:

Interesting thread.

But, what I am about to post might be upsetting to those here offering "Scientific Studies" that validate psi powers.

Before I say anything further, let me confide that as a human being I too have experienced abnormal phenomena of unknown and apparently inexplicable origins. Being "abnormal", one might rhetorically slip into identifying them as "paranormal"--inferring psi-related powers. But, those are two distinctly different subjects.

I could tell a thrilling example but it's not my point. Rather, I would prefer to remain satisfied that these events are not psychic powers, but what I would term UHE (Unidentified Human Experiences). Well, with that now said, let's embark on what might be, to some, a very controversial and unpleasant little post, LOL.

I read Mimsy's post that cited various scientific studies that established very credible statistical proof confirming the existence of certain paranormal abilities. My first instinct was, "Wow, I never ran into those scientific proofs/studies in my own research!"

By the end of Mimsy's post I began to wonder about those scientific studies which were not identified. snip.

Sheldrake is a widely known and debunked pseudo-scientist. He has a whole series of books that cannot stand up to the scrutiny of real scientific protocols. Again, a 5 second search that included the words "hoax" and "debunk" would have revealed his poor standing in the community of real scientists.

In a way, I can understand how a Scientologist (or believer) would regard looking for "debunks" as a kind of cynical logical fallacy in itself. It would be labeled "entheta" or "enemy line" or even "suppressive", wouldn't it, if someone in an org even mentioned any one (1) of the major debunks that have exposed Hubbard as a charlatan.

So, I am suggesting that if Mimsy or anyone wants to throw down "scientific proof" of the psi kind, they also include the specific name of the study and the name of the researcher and any links.

And, again, before posting it, I very strongly recommend searching for debunks of that person/study--otherwise it can get pretty embarrassing to promote already-debunked junk science. Hey, I learned a valuable lesson from Dr. Hubbard, didn't I? LOL

Not bad for, what an hour on the internet? I only wish you would take the time to read the book and research the foot notes in the book to see if they are at all valid. HH - I will pay for the book and send it to you if you will delve into it further. PM me your preferred shipping address.

My question is how qualified are these people who do these critiques? Have they done the experiments and have tested or seen whether or not they work first hand? Have you even tried the above two experiments to see if they worked before trashing them?

It is rather easy these days to attack anything you don't like on the net.

It can be a big problem for researchers that are criticized unfairly. There are groups that post on wiki negative views on any researcher that does not share their views. The founder /ceo of wiki doesn't much care about instituting any fairness in his system either.

As an example - have you heard about the film "Pete's Vermeer"? He posits and demonstrates a simple method of how Vermeer made his paintings, using a small flat mirror, and a larger curved mirror. There are several you tube video's showing his method. However one critic I saw made a couple videos trashing the film. He seemed well reasoned. His arguments made a lot of sense, until you examine Vermeer's paintings. They have no underpainting, no sketches under the paint etc. The only way the could be made was by the mirror method.

So I submit to you, sir, you have let all of us down by making a cursory look into this.

Please get off your high horse and do better.

Respectfully,

Mimsey

strativarius

As has been said many times before, if 10% of what Hubbard claimed scientology could do for humanity turned out to be true, millions of people would be signing up to avail themselves of this miraculous 'therapy', and the same goes for Mimsey's quasi-mystical experiences. Thousands of experiments have been conducted to discover whether or not 'ESP' or 'remote viewing' and other associated phenomena actually occurs, and so far they've pretty well come up with a blank.

No one would be as excited as me to discover we could leave our bodies and visit Venus to check whether the trains are running on time up there or not, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Free Being Me

Crusader
One time, back the '68 or 69 I was on course and i wondered what it would be like to be a stapler. I briefly was the stapler. Or in it. The stapler sees life like this: It is total effect. Everything moves it. It is in a very apathetic frame of mind. It was just a split second. But I duplicated how it viewed life. >snip<
An inanimate object such as a stapler is just that, an inanimate object. It doesn't have a brain nor a central nervous system. It isn't self-aware with a cognitively reasoning mind and emotions, nor even instinctual behavior. Ergo, the stapler wasn't alive thus there wasn't anything for you to "duplicate" from it's "view of life" regarding the stapler's "very apathetic frame of mind."

When challenged you switched from $cientology to animism, then to Sheldrake's pseudo-science. Moving the goal posts around to support woo-based flawed reasoning isn't intellectually honest.

lotus

stubborn rebel sheep!
Hoax,

In the book the studies are not done like scientific double-blind placebo controlled group necessarily..
They are more ''experiments'' in controlled conditions.

As I mentionned, there is a lot of stories (no proven stories) but things that can resonnates with our own experiences

This book is not pretending to be scientific, but as I earlier mentionned, can somehow demystified those pseudo paranormal abilities called so as such abilities are seen in the normal course of life :confused2:

In short, this book allows to put attention of the fat it's not paranormal, but in no case it's for a scientific research or document for teaching purpose.
I don't take all there is,..but there is some very good interesting points.

An inanimate object such as a stapler is just that, an inanimate object. It doesn't have a brain nor a central nervous system. It isn't self-aware with a cognitively reasoning mind and emotions, nor even instinctual behavior. Ergo, the stapler wasn't alive thus there wasn't anything for you to "duplicate" from it's "view of life" regarding the stapler's "very apathetic frame of mind."

When challenged you switched from $cientology to animism, then to Sheldrake's pseudo-science. Moving the goal posts around to support woo-based flawed reasoning isn't intellectually honest.
Maybe you are correct. All I am saying is that is what happened to me. You don't have to believe me. In fact it would probably be better if you didn't. Your basic premise is flawed though. Of course it doesn't have a brain. Why does it have to have a brain to have a viewpoint? The animism concept has nothing to do with brains, it has to do with spiritualism. Why do they call ships She's? Does a ship have an innate feministic beingness? The way it flows through the waves, the curves of the prow?

Yes - it is probably best you look at life as a soulless chaos. It is so much less challenging.

Mimsey

55cf3278ea5fec5d013d81fba6f2817b.jpg