What's new

Attitudes to Death and Dying

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Oh, I'll get you started tough guy, don't you wurry nun bout dat. I'm a simple man and like my songs melodic and under 4 minutes please, but in the last week been diggin on some "Expensive Shit" by Fela Kuti, might be more up your alley. I like Zappa's "Hot Rats" quite a bit. "Who needs the Peace Corps" is hilarious, "Uncle Remus" is bizarrely affecting, "Sexual Harassment in the Workplace" is the best title for an instrumental piece since "A New Career in a New Town", and I think we can all agree that "Cosmik Debris" is a fitting song to mention on this website.

As for Wagner, he scares the shi* out of the sl*pes, know wahm sayin?

P.S. If you guys wanna see some unusually entertaining C-Span coverage, look on Youtube for the clips of Frank Zappa testifying before Congress
regarding the Parental Advisory stickers. To Al Gore no less. Hilarity!

Hey KH - yeah, that was some weird shit before Congress.
I think Tipper Gore would make an excellent Scn. :eyeroll:

Cosmic Debris is one I steered clear of whilst a good brainwashed cultie. I assumed it concerned an experience with a would-be auditor for Frank ("He whipped out his shaving kit...", "It'll cure you asthma too", "and your old lady has just gone down", etc) but read that it was inspired by Krishnamurti. Maybe it's just a song for gurus. :eyeroll: Still, there are plenty of Hubbard/Scn ref to enjoy in Frank's music.

I wonder if you would "get better results with anusol"? :hmm: :D

P.S. If you like short, melodic songs what on earth are you doing with an album of Zappa guitar instrumentals?! :ohmy: Enjoying the statistical density of his nested polyrhythms? :p

Tanstaafl

Crusader
Interesting conundrum , isn't it!

No. I happen to know the answer. (Where are the smileys for smug and self-satisfied :grouch:) :p

I was just curious to learn more about your answer because it seemed you were describing death rather than pure life.

I don't know why we torture ourselves talking about this stuff. Most of us agree, I think, that "the tao that can be spoken is not the true tao". :confused2: :yes: Still, it can be fun.

Vinaire

Sponsor
No. I happen to know the answer. (Where are the smileys for smug and self-satisfied :grouch:) :p

I was just curious to learn more about your answer because it seemed you were describing death rather than pure life.

I don't know why we torture ourselves talking about this stuff. Most of us agree, I think, that "the tao that can be spoken is not the true tao". :confused2: :yes: Still, it can be fun.

The whole purpose to be is to entertain oneself.

gomorrhan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Whose whole purpose? Speak for yourself. My whole purpose is to find a wonderful way to relieve osmotic pressure in my stalk.

Chipallina

Patron with Honors
I find that sexist and insulting in the extreme!

Have we banned anyone this week?
Don't we have quotas to meet here?

i think that your original comment is to fool us into thinking that you are a man but i have a sneaking feeling that YOU ARE A WOMAN!!!!!!

P.S. If you like short, melodic songs what on earth are you doing with an album of Zappa guitar instrumentals?! :ohmy: Enjoying the statistical density of his nested polyrhythms? :p

"Sexual Harassment in the Workplace" is on Strictly Commercial, which I likes. "Peaches in Regalia" is of course a classic as well. I haven't caught an obvious Scn refs in Zappa songs. What are some other ones?

Tanstaafl

Crusader
"Sexual Harassment in the Workplace" is on Strictly Commercial, which I likes. "Peaches in Regalia" is of course a classic as well. I haven't caught an obvious Scn refs in Zappa songs. What are some other ones?

I didn't realise SHITW was on the compilation. Apologies. :eyeroll:

The most overt reference to Hubbard and CoS is from Joe's Garage where L. Ron Hoover runs The Church of Appliantology. "A Token of My Extreme" is the relevant song.

There are at least two or three references to Hubbard or Scn thrown in to live performances. On one version of Billy The Mountain, a character speaks (IIRC) "in a deep impressive L. Ron Hubbard type voice".

The Sofa on the cover of One Size Fits All is thought by some to be a dig at Scn and Chick Corea, possibly. It suggests you are actually at home listening to the album rather than off fighting nibbly-pibblies in some other galaxy.

Zappa's most well-known quote on Scn is: "Scientology, how about that? You hold on to the tin cans and then this guy asks you a bunch of questions, and if you pay enough money you get to join the master race. How's that for a religion?" I'm pretty sure this is part of Cosmik Debris, as mentioned, but the whole song is about cults/gurus in general.

Some more generic quotes:

Tax the FUCK out of the churches!
Remember there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over.
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I understand, but this constant internal dialogue of your that you 'must' know everything and know it now isn't who you really are and you're allowing that to drive you .. and us.. :whistling: nuts! :D No but seriously, if you live for the next four hundred years Tansy you're not going to know everything anyway, nature is and always will be way more superior to us, so let go of the chatter.. and breath! :yes: :happydance:

I think that the unknown factor can be terribly frightening to people.