What's new

Thank God for the Internet

Gadfly

Crusader
I know that this has been mentioned before, but it again struck me today how KEY and IMPORTANT the existence of the Internet is to exposing the many various flaws and faults of Hubbard and Scientology.

When I was heavily involved, mainly in the 80s and 90s, there was no such thing as the Internet. There was no place one could easily go to and run a "search" on "L. Ron Hubbard", "Scientology", "Paulette Cooper", "fair game", "the policy on initiating lawsuits", "harassing critics" of any of MANY ideas and practices of Scientology. Part of the effectiveness of the control of people involved with Scientology in earlier days was the fact that Scientology members had no easy way to obtain information on the subject of Scientology. The ONLY information they were given was Hubbard's many assertions and often fictional claims about himself and the Church of Scientology. Back then, the main source of information about Hubbard and Scientology was the Church's own PR machinery. That has all changed drastically.

It was much easier then to control the Church member's diet of data about Scientology, first because little in the way of readily available critical information existed, and second, because the Church pretty much existed in a vacuum where only its PR was heard and accepted by the Scientology believer.

As I see it Scientology could only continue to do well in a very highly controlled environment. The Sea Org still continues along in that manner, because most SO members have no access to the Internet, don't read magazines, are forbidden from watching TV, and rarely are confronted with ANY negative information. In a very real way many SO members live in a dream world based almost entirely on the fabrications of Hubbard and current Church management. They never graduated into the Internet Age and still display the arrogant idiocy of ANY group of people who are shut off from many avenues of outside information, AND who are indoctrinated to believe that 1) only we have the correct answers, and 2) the world out there is largely nasty and degraded.

As time moves along I suspect that Scientology will have a more and more difficult time of things, largely because of the Internet.

I enjoy the Internet as a source of fast needed information, such as locating schematics on guitar pickup wiring, but it is this way that Scientology cannot keep its members and the world surrounded in a veil of deceit and lies that I get the most enjoyment from.

And, yes, there IS a great deal of "false information" on the Internet too. But I would prefer to have to sift through the good data and the crappy data, rather than to have no data at all.

I LOVE THE INTERNET!

I am sure DM and other INT bozos wish it would vanish tomorrow - but it can't and won't, and everyday brings with it some NEW article or analysis about the intricate mindfuck known as Scientology and about the manipulative machinations of DM, OSA and INT management.

I think we are well past the point where Scientology PR can ever hope to overbalance the abundance of NEGATIVE FACTS about Hubbard and Scientology. An the SP declares keep on growing. :thumbsup:

Without the Internet there is no doubt that Scientology would have had a much larger hold on many of its members - something it keeps losing. And, it would have been MUCH more difficult to expose the cult.

The Internet is the "Achilles Heel" that Hubbard never anticipated. So much for "whole track recall".

Tick-tock Tick-tock

I still have mixed feelings about the internet.

What you are saying about the internet with regards to Scientology is true.

It is putting more people in touch with each other, but it is at the same time dumbing down America.

So for me the jury is still out on the net value of the internet.

We'll have to wait and see.

The Anabaptist Jacques

Good twin

Floater
The Internet was my religion for a short while after leaving the cult. I still love the internet, but I no longer worship it.

I agree with your observations Gadfly.

Last edited:
I still have mixed feelings about the internet.

What you are saying about the internet with regards to Scientology is true.

It is putting more people in touch with each other, but it is at the same time dumbing down America.

So for me the jury is still out on the net value of the internet.

We'll have to wait and see.

The Anabaptist Jacques

I'm not sure if the internet is dumbing down America nor am I sure it's making Americans more intelligent, but I do know it offers the information presented to be challenged where as media sources such as television, and radio do not. There is no doubt in my mind that being spoon fed opinionated propaganda without interaction such as cable news and AM radio is certainly dumbing down America.

Gadfly

Crusader
I never considered the Internet as something to worship. I assume you are using the term loosely. I never "worshipped" anything while involved in Scn either.

I use it as a tool to gather needed information. I also have a long history on eBay as a buyer and seller, and I use it all of the time for finding great bargains. And, of course, there is Internet Banking, paying utility bills, making credit card payments, etc.

I am bright enough NOW to evaluate what I read and see. After having been through Hubbard's mind-control machinery, I learned VERY well how people like Hubbard can so easily toss out statements and claims, presenting them as "truth", and how easily others can accept them with little serious thought or analysis. I don't do THAT much anymore. I gained that from my involvement with Scn. Though it isn't exact the "ability gained" that anybody in the Church might want me to have. :happydance:

Last edited:

Gadfly

Crusader
I'm not sure if the internet is dumbing down America nor am I sure it's making Americans more intelligent, but I do know it offers the information presented to be challenged where as media sources such as television, and radio do not. There is no doubt in my mind that being spoon fed opinionated propaganda without interaction such as cable news and AM radio is certainly dumbing down America.

I agree. The "dumbing down of America" began LONG before the Internet.

There are many interesting books on the "conspiracy" (I used that word for you TAJ :coolwink:) to reduce the intellectual abilities of Americans. Here are a few:

Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why America's Children Feel Good About Themselves but Can't Read, Write, or Add by Charles J. Sykes

Why Johnny Can't Read: And What You Can Do About It by Rudolph Flesch

Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto

And, for the real conspiracy-minded folks out there:

America's Secret Establishment: An Introduction to the Order of Skull & Bones (Yale University Secret Society) by Antony C. Sutton

The Whole Language/OBE Fraud: The Shocking Story of How America Is Being Dumbed Down by Its Own Education System by Samuel L. Blumenfeld

Good twin

Floater
I never considered the Internet as something to worship. I assume you are using the term loosely.

I use it as a tool to gather needed information. I also have a long history on eBay as a buyer and seller, and I use it all of the time for finding great bargains. And, of course, there is Internet Banking, paying utility bills, making credit card payments, etc.

I am bright enough NOW to evaluate what I read and see. After having been through Hubbard's mind-control machinery, I learned VERY well how people like Hubbard can so easily toss out statements and claims, presenting them as "truth", and how easily others can accept them with little serious thought or analysis. I don't do THAT much anymore. I gained that from my involvement with Scn. Though it isn't exact the "ability gained" that anybody in the Church might want me to have. :happydance:

Yes I use the term loosely as in your OP you said "Thank God for the internet". I just found that while I was freefalling without a safety net after 32 years of having all the answers I needed a way to get information other than Scientology standard tech. The internet filled the void beautifully.

It really gave me everything I ever wanted from Scientology and more.

So if Scientology qualifies as a religion the internet most certainly does as well. In my most humble opinion of course. :coolwink:

HelluvaHoax!

Platinum Meritorious Sponsor with bells on

Cool thread!

Some thoughts:

Scientology used all their OT powers and tech and utterly failed to control the internet or even slow it down. Remember net nanny? To this day, people are being routed to Ethics for looking at the internet. I had a friend at Flag recently tell me he had agreed (in an Ethics handling) to not look at the internet unless it was specifically related to his business.

Isn't that curious? That OT's and a billion dollar war chest were not able to do one damn thing about the internet. I believe Scientologists call that TOTAL EFFECT.

Now here is another curious thing to consider. What would Ron Hubbard do about the internet if he were alive today??

Gadfly

Crusader

Cool thread!
Some thoughts:

Scientology used all their OT powers and tech and utterly failed to control the internet or even slow it down. Remember net nanny? To this day, people are being routed to Ethics for looking at the internet. I had a friend at Flag recently tell me he had agreed (in an Ethics handling) to not look at the internet unless it was specifically related to his business.

Isn't that curious? That OT's and a billion dollar war chest were not able to do one damn thing about the internet. I believe Scientologists call that TOTAL EFFECT.

Now here is another curious thing to consider. What would Ron Hubbard do about the internet if he were alive today??

Remember when the Church convinced many of its members to put up the cookie-cutter "I am a Scientologist" pages? See here:

http://on-line.scientology.org/cntinent/Namerica/usa/index.htm

The attempt was to flood the search engines with so many pages with the keywords "Scientology" and "Scientologist", that nobody would be able to find "critical information". Of course, the search engines noticed this ploy of Scientology and many others early on and filed sites by "domain name" so that only ONE result would come up. Granted in the old days one could get dominance over the first 3-4 pages of results on AOL or Excite searches. Yahoo stopped THAT early and all other search engines quickly followed.

Observing Scientology's lame attempts to "win on the Internet" are often hilarious to watch. Their antics have been so "reactive", where they consistently knee-jerk responded to each and every new "problem" with the Internet.

Trying to "apply Scn tech" as a way to "handle" the Internet has been a parade of footbullets and resultant bad PR for the moronic Church of Scientology, but that is what happens when when only thinks with and tries to address all situations with "Ron's tech on everything".

Oh, I suspect Hubbard would have done pretty much the same as DM has done. And, failed miserably due to the NEW and better "transparency" about himself and Scientology that fills the Internet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the dumbing down ref's - I sent them to my daughter in law who is doing home schooling.

I think though there is a correlation between the internet and shortening attention spans. When I am working on my computer with job related stuff, it is way too easy to go OH! What was that candy song??? and kill 20 min searching through you tube - or get distracted by the new dinoasaur they found burried in tazmainia...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLOjmY--TA&ob=av2e

Mimsey

Enchantress

:angry:

He would have it investigated of course! The WHO would have to be found and declared. I don't think Al Gore would want to continue to take credit for it.

A full and complete issue would come out explaining how the evil bankers were behind Dumbing Down Society so that we could all become a drugged and manipulated society. This would all be told to the Scientology public in a behind closed door briefing where money would be needed to eliminate the evil bankers that started the internet. I don't know where the money would be banked so that evil bankers couldn't get to it. Hoaxie, I'm counting on you to solve that one.

I suppose a special rundown would have to be completely done and attested to by each public that had been on the internet for ANY reason.

Cool thread!

Some thoughts:

Good twin

Floater
:angry:

He would have it investigated of course! The WHO would have to be found and declared. I don't think Al Gore would want to continue to take credit for it.

A full and complete issue would come out explaining how the evil bankers were behind Dumbing Down Society so that we could all become a drugged and manipulated society. This would all be told to the Scientology public in a behind closed door briefing where money would be needed to eliminate the evil bankers that started the internet. I don't know where the money would be banked so that evil bankers couldn't get to it. Hoaxie, I'm counting on you to solve that one.

I suppose a special rundown would have to be completely done and attested to by each public that had been on the internet for ANY reason.

You are absolutely right. The internet is obviously a degraded dramatization of electronic implants and can be so highly restimulative that it can mess up a case but good!

Your advance program will be proportional to the amount of false data electronically attached to your e/s implants and will require not only special processes but specially trained auditors to run those special processes.

Sadly, if you fail to handle this as soon as it comes up in an interview or ruds session your internet electronics implant case will spin rapidly down a dwindling spiral and you will become enslaved by the suppressive influence of this modern theta sucker known as the world wide web.

:omg:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
:omg: Not one person here has correctly gotten What Ron Would Do ! ( see above statements re education!)

Anyway, step 1 by Ron would have been a 'puter burning party. That would have been step 1.

Now, what was in for Al Gore would have been in confidential handling OSA issue that Ron had someone else sign. Poor guy, that story about what he did to that chicken would utterly ruin him.

The Psychs behind the internet ( which was designed and launched to destroy Ron ) would, at last, be exposed.....and the leader of that bunch was Marty Rathbumers daddy.

Both JT & TC would go on PR tours with the IAS exposing this evil and Kirstie, bless her heart, was expected to weigh in on the matter, too.

What ya'll all missed is Ron declared an amensty and all that would be required to get this amnesty would be write a KR on yourself for everything you wanted amnesty for.
( Nevermind, that after those KRs were turned in there would be some things it turns out ya'll misunderstood and no amensty was offered for that.)

And some of you are now in really hot water ......and ya did it to yourself !

Last edited:

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
The Internet is fabulous in a million ways.

The rapid availability of information on virtually any topic has changed our world and will continue to. I fixed my refrigerator and dryer in the past two months by finding a video explaining and showing exactly what I had to do. My dictionaries and encyclopedias sit unused for months because it's easier to get the clarifications on line. Downloading books and podcasts for free has completely changed how I live. This forum and many others has made contacting old friends easy and fun. This is all good!

Scientology suffers from Internet use because they can't control the flow of information. The "workable" technology of the old days consisted of suing and attacking critics. The Blogosphere has blown that barrier completely out of the water.

It's only a matter of time before DM gets dragged into court. His high priced lawyers and PR firms and celebrities look more like odd fringe characters shilling for a very guilty client. The scales have tipped, it's only a matter of time. Tick, tick, tick.

Random guy

Patron with Honors
An outsider's view:

Today, kids learn how to use internet in school, how to evaluate information and use the net for those myriads of little things we used encyclopedias, self-help books and courses and plain old education for earlier. Education is no longer about learning facts, but learning where you can find facts. In a generation, not checking things on the internet will be unthinkable. By then, the cult will croak if it hasn't already.

We anons often pride ourself in starving the cult. In reality, it is the internet that is doing the job. Anonymous as such is but an extension of the internet. We are just helping to speed up things a bit.

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
The Internet is fabulous in a million ways.
<snip>
Scientology suffers from Internet use because they can't control the flow of information.
<snip>
It's only a matter of time before DM gets dragged into court.
<snip>
Tick, tick, tick.

Truth?

Truth is killing scientology.

Mystic

Crusader
oh-fuck-the-internet-is-here.jpg