What's new

How Hubbard created a 100% workable technology

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
How Hubbard did it

:nono: Warning if you are a Scientologist or ex-scientologist, reading this may make you feel conned and cheated, You may become angry or sad. Don't read this if you wish to retain your faith in Hubbard's "technology". :ignore:

This expose of how Hubbard did it was prompted by a discussion about the validity of the Scientology experience and some people's assertions that they knew from their own experience that Scientology worked, or parts of it did, and that was sufficient proof to them of its validity.
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=3619

Derren Brown ran a TV program which I describe here (http://www.forum.exscn.net/showpost.php?p=64004&postcount=175) where he showed us how he had a 100% workable system for predicting the winner of horse races. He showed us film of a lady backing his tips and how each time the tip he gave did in fact win. Race by race she backed his tips and increased her stake as her faith in the system increased. After 5 winning tips, she borrowed £4,000, that she could not afford, and put it all on Derren's final tip!

Derren showed us how this was done by predicting he would toss a coin and get 10 heads in succession and then proceeded to show us with multiple camera angles and uninterrupted filming how he did in fact throw ten heads in succession!

How did he do this? Simple. He filmed, for what turned out to be a nine hour day, until he did in fact finally toss 10 heads in succession. He simply then showed us only the successful sequence! He limited our experience. This demonstrated how we judge the success of something by our own limited experience, without seeing the wider picture.

The racing system was 100% successful because the lady was only seeing her experience of it! The wider picture was this: Derren contacted 7,776 (possibly suggestible) people. Split them into six equal groups and gave each group a different tip in a six-horse race. Obviously 1,296 people experienced a successful tip. the other 6,480 people were told there had been a malfunction in the system and were sent away with an apology.

The 1296 people were divided into 6 groups of 216 people and each group were given a different tip in a six horse race. You get the idea?

216 people experienced a 100% successful system.

Next race 36 people experienced a 100% success.

Next race 6 people were convinced that Derren had a 100% successful racing system.

For the final race 1 person had experienced a 100% workable system and so she had such faith in Derren's abilities that she borrowed and gambled £4,000. She knew the system was working and was 100% accurate. She never saw the 7,775 losers. Even after the con was explained to her she could barely believe she had been conned. She had seen the five winning predictions after all. That was her reality.

Obvious really! So what? What's that got to do with Scientology? You know it works for you and that is good enough for you isn't it?

Question: How many people on the planet are currently doing a Scientology service in the CofS or outside of it? or another question would be how many people on the planet believe Scientology is 100% workable or at least major portions of it work for them to improve their lives?

Who knows the answer? Maybe it is a few thousand, even a hundred thousand. Nobody knows an accurate figure, but it is probably of that order of magnitude.

How many people since DMSMH was released in 1950 have done some sort of Dianetics or Scientology auditing? Remember, intitially it was a number one best seller and there is verified testimony from those around at the time that it was hugely popular.

Get the idea? Maybe a million tried it in those early years. Maybe 10% found that it worked more or less as it predicted.

How many people since then have been drawn into Scientology in the past half century?

How many people are still doing it or still basically believe it has worked for them?

How many people have dropped out at some point or another?

See, it is simply a numbers game, the oldest con trick in the book and we, I'm afraid, fell for it. We are the tip of the pyramid, the ones who experienced what Ron said we would experience just like the lady in the TV program.

Remember, also that Hubbard had studied hypnotism/suggestion and by all accounts was a charismatic personality. He must have known the simple datum that if you tell a group of people something with enough conviction and throw in a bit of suggestible language, that a percentage of them will experience that thing as being true for them.

Those who don't experience it, well like Derren told the losers that it was a malfunction in the system, Hubbard told them they were anti-social, evil, PTS, etc and got rid of them as swiftly as possible so that their lack of success was not allowed to infect the successful ones.

Then sell the successful ones another service, reminding them that yours is the only and 100% successful system and again a percentage will experience the predicted and suggested result. The rest of the failures were just never really ready to receive such success because of their evil ways and once again they are discarded.

In order to continue to experience success, the winners had to disconnect from the losers. In this way Hubbard ensured their suggesibility was not tainted by his detractors. The dwindling percentage of a percentage keep going, the majority drop out or are kicked out.

Meanwhile sucker in thousands more and tell them what they are going to get from the 100% workable system and run them through the numbers game.

As your regular percentage of winners continue to win, you get them to pledge larger and larger sums of money in order to continue winning. Make sure they never see the bigger picture, make sure they never really know the huge numbers of failures and just like the lady backing the horses, they will believe that Ron has a 100% workable system because it is working for them and they judge it by their experience, because for them that is the only really real reality.

Hey, you have a 100% workable spiritual technology! And all the time, while you are winning, you hear about the tremendous success other winners are having from this wonderful tech.

It is a limited view, numbers con with a heavy dose of suggestion thrown in.

:whistling: You can shout or cry now....

Dulloldfart

Squirrel Extraordinaire
Thanks for the write-up. Good points.

I like Derren Browne too. Contacting 7,000+ suggestible people for one TV show is a lot of work. I guess paying an extra £20,000 to back the other horses isn't a huge expense compared to other production costs.

Do you like Kreskin?

Paul

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks for the write-up. Good points.

I like Derren Browne too. Contacting 7,000+ suggestible people for one TV show is a lot of work. I guess paying an extra £20,000 to back the other horses isn't a huge expense compared to other production costs.

Do you like Kreskin?

Paul

It was more clever than that!

I'm just guessing, knowing how he works that he possibly pre-selected them for suggestibility.

First tip to 7,776. They were told to not bet, just watch the result to see how the system was foolproof.

Next tip, the 1,296 people were told to put £5 on and video themselves doing so with their mobiles. So what we saw was the final successful lady filming herself placing the bet.

Same with the next 216 people.

The 36 people then went to a race meeting and were filmed.

The final 6 were filmed without knowing the others were there or were being being interviewed by Derren where he revealed he was the person behind the 100% winning system I think at this point they were asked to put £150 on.

At each point as they fell away and were told there had been a malfunction in the system they were offered a full re-imbursment. So it only cost the TV company a thousand or so in total! And they'd only filmed the last few people, before that it was DIY filming!

The final winner was then told by Derren to go and get a "lot" of money to put on the next bet. We were shown our winner borrowing off her dad.

I don't know hopw he fiddled the last four horse race but the max exposure, if he backed all four horses, was £12,000 that's even if he did actually back all the horses. I've seen him trick other people into seeing what actually isn't there, so for all I know the words written on the betting slip could easily have not been the name of the actual winner, just that the victim saw what Derren told her she was seeing.

However that's not really to the point of how Ron did it. But watching another psychological manipulator and illusionist is very instructive to see how Hubbard did it.

Luckily Derren Broiwne is making a good living and hopefully won't ever need to form a cult. If ever he did, he'd knock spots of Hubbard who is probably a mere amateur in comparison!

Anybody get angry or sad at reading how LRH did it, or did we all know that anyway?

Div6

Crusader
Well, my response to this is that the premise is faulty.

LRH did NOT develop a 100% workable technology.

I don't know who injected 100% into it....his "claim" was a "workable" technology.

The idea being to unburden the mind until a person can view their "purposes" (implanted or real) and create them or not at will.

How many have achieved that?

I don't know. But I have talked to a few.

Poofy

Patron with Honors
I'm going to inject a personal belief in here that those people would have had easier/quicker results working with a psychologist who used a similar style.

The best results come from someone who adapts to -your- personality and finds a workable method to helping you improve. No established system will have all the proper suggestions and methods for all the different types of people who are out there.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Well, my response to this is that the premise is faulty.

LRH did NOT develop a 100% workable technology.

I don't know who injected 100% into it....his "claim" was a "workable" technology.

The idea being to unburden the mind until a person can view their "purposes" (implanted or real) and create them or not at will.

How many have achieved that?

I don't know. But I have talked to a few.

You've missed the point. For "100% workable" substitute "workable" I don't mind, it is unimportant, the point is the same. A percentage of a percentage of a percentage continue to find the "tech" workable just as LRH tells them they will. :)

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
...so that their lack of success was not allowed to infect the successful ones.
Think me! - If that ain't the essence of the PTS/SP doctrine! :clap:

I'm inspired to ramble on with my favorite contagious entheta:
Voodoo!!!
Note that Derren Brown has the young woman believing that her soul is in the ring, whih is then placed inside the vodoo doll.

That's tangible voodoo!

So Hubbard told you that your soul is a thetan? - Your're not your body. Your'e not your mind either.. You are a thetan!

Allright.. Claydemo that! - Make an obscenely ugly plasticine man.. Grab a handful of spaghettti.. That's your tangled mind then.. And let a raisin be the thetan.. That's you.. Three parts: Body, mind and the raisin is the Thetan which is you!

Arrh!! - Cancel the idiotic demo and eat the raisin!

Now you are a demo of the obscene dog all by yourself!

A thetan is a most useful voodoo doll, wouldn't you say?

Did you enjoy that raisin?

:tease:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
But, of course, that's just *one* of the tricks :)

There's also the 'Unicorn Glasses'; and, Hubbard sells magic glasses that let you see the invisible unicorns. Then hands out glasses with a tiny unicorn painted on the lens.

Everybody who buys them (and wears them) can agree in the existence of the (formerly) invisible unicorns...

Zinj

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
I'm going to inject a personal belief in here that those people would have had easier/quicker results working with a psychologist who used a similar style.

The best results come from someone who adapts to -your- personality and finds a workable method to helping you improve. No established system will have all the proper suggestions and methods for all the different types of people who are out there.

Exactly, but Ron's con was that he disposed of those who didn't get the results that he predicted. He eliminated them from the process by declares, off-loads, etc and concentrated on his working percentage, making sure they were disconnected form the evil no-case-gains, so that their personal experience was limited and validated and was their reality. So the poor scientologists end up saying "it works for me and therefore it is workable". just like the lady who was gambling only experienced her own winning reality.

Scientologist don't see the wider picture and are prevented from seeing it, so that their reality of Scientology is restricted to a winning one.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Schwimm and Zinj, exactly!

Now you are coming up with the mind tricks, the psychological tricks that Ron laced into his number crunching game in order to raise his percentages. But essentially it was simply a numbers game.

Sucker some suckers and give them some psychological succour.

We sucked on the raisin, we didn't gobble it! :D

We are the successful tip of the unsuccessful pyramid that is Scientology. It wasn't a "bridge" at all, it was a pyramid built upon failure. At some point we all fall off it and become the failure foundation upon which the pyramid is further built.

Let's face it, we were conned! :duh:

Lovesnightsky

Silver Meritorious Patron
Ron did not create the technology, he plagiarised it not only from various external sources but from a dedicated team of developers who were working with him (who, btw, never made any secret of where they were getting their ideas from).
As to the theory of whether it is 100% workable, no it is not. It was never allowed to be 100 workable because that would have freed individuals from his clutches and also made some very powerful opponents to his plans of total domination.

As to the con, yes it is a huge con. But it more in line of giving people a little taste of what could be, then forever moving the goal post that little further away and that much more expensive to achieve.

Alanzo

Bardo Tulpa
Seconded. Seems to me to have been written by quite a sad, bitter person.

Nick

And so that's the best you can do? Talk about the writer as being sad and bitter, but not take up any of the points made by the sad and bitter writer?

Did L Ron Hubbard teach you that?

Vinaire

Sponsor
How Hubbard did it

:nono: Warning if you are a Scientologist or ex-scientologist, reading this may make you feel conned and cheated, You may become angry or sad. Don't read this if you wish to retain your faith in Hubbard's "technology". :ignore:

This expose of how Hubbard did it was prompted by a discussion about the validity of the Scientology experience and some people's assertions that they knew from their own experience that Scientology worked, or parts of it did, and that was sufficient proof to them of its validity.
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=3619

Derren Brown ran a TV program which I describe here ...

The same argument you may give for why this physical universe works 100% of the time as predicted by science... ha! :D

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
Seconded. Seems to me to have been written by quite a sad, bitter person.

Nick

Sheesh I must be very close to the truth to get such a response!

What "seems" to you is what your restricted view is showing you. Try viewing the wider picture rather than your own reality. Are you like the woman who was only shown the "winning system" or are you the person seeing 7,776 bets?

Leon

Gold Meritorious Patron
For starters, it means that many of us are on a 30 to 40 year winning streak. That's quite something!

But more importantly, why is it that those people who did not get their gains, when a trained and intelligent tech person goes over their record can spot the errors and omissions which underlie those failures. And when given the opportunity to correct them on those errors find that suddenly they become winners!

WOW! All due to te chance roll of the dice!

Why is it that I get a person come to me and say XYZ is what I want handled and I work out a program and audit them on that Hey Presto! A week or two later those exact things are HANDLED.

All due to lucky chance!

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Hmm.. Why talk figures at all? - The principle is quite visible without the math. Those who make no case gains from scientology processing are.. well.. No Case Gain cases! - As I recall, Hubbard said that is the one sure sign of an SP... So dispose of that asshole.

So waht about people who become disaffected for some other weird reason.. Why they too are SP's! - Throw those jerks overboard.

And people who can't pay for anymore services, since the registrars have literally bankrupted them.. You don't go 'reasonable' with this you know! - These people have counter intentions. They fail to make things go right.. Ample indicators that they are SP's! - Dispose of them with no sorrow. They don't support the GI anyway, so why waste yer' time?

Since all these people are fuck'n SP's, make sure they keep their mouths shut. Intimidate 'em and shudder 'em into silence. Use reverse processing too.. But make the basterds pay for it!

Keep this up for a while until there's only 3 hookers and a pickpocket left in the org, who for some strange reason thinks that Scientology is better than sex and sliced bread.

Oh.. Lest's not forget.. These are the Homo Novis. The Able. The Übermenshen who deserves to live and have rights.

Ask them, and they will guarantee you that the tech works every time!

On the walls are a pictures of Mussolini.. no.. Hubbard. It was just the pose and circumstances that made me think it was Mussolini.. Hmm..

Weelll.. I'll be.. hornswoggeled!

:duh: