What's new

Cult Leaders

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
I have been thinking for quite a while about cult leaders. I saw a wonderful documentary about Heaven's Gate wherein I saw a NUMBER of similarities, theology-wise with Scn. More on that in another thread.

I was thinking about Marshall Applewhite, Jim Jones, LRH, Rajneesh. One thing they all had in common was that they went nuts. I don't mean to offend any Freezoners or other Scn'ists posting here, but LRH did get nutty toward the end and even a lot earlier, there's documentation about him acting irresponsibly and making irrational decisions.

Be that as it may-- I do think that most of these guys, maybe all of them, believed the theology they taught. I know that some clergy, cult leaders, etc, don't. Like the ex Nazi who founded a cult with the slogan from Auschwitz at his camp, after WWII. But I think that Applewhite, Jones, Hubbard, Rajneesh did believe in their own precepts, tenets and methods.

I also don't think a single one of them was ever self sacrificing or averse to power. This probably helped them go nuts later.

Every single one of these people went nuts. Applewhite already had problems, though I tend to think he did get a few insights- along with an overdose of the flesh is evil Gnostic mindset. Hubbard got really weird, that's documentated. Rajneesh went nuts. Jones certainly did. I saw an interview with him shortly before the deaths/mass suicide/homicide. He was paranoid as hell. Totally bonkers.

I think that if a person isn't nuts when they start their own religious movement, that they well may become nuts.

Here are my speculations as to what the contributing factors may be:

I think there's an Icarus factor there. I think some people fly too close to the sun. All these guys dabbled and dabbled and worked and worked on spiritual methods and theories. I think that this can awaken things in a person that aren't always good and that it can be hard to handle.

People always think they can handle these things or they wouldn't be trying them in the first place. But they do- WE do- overestimate themselves.

Another thing is irresponsibility. Hubbard, Applewhite, Jones and Rajneesh all meddled in people's personal lives and family structures. They did NOT take responsibility for what they did. They didn't take responsibility for financial shenanigans that they or sr members did.

Continued irresponsibility and the justifications people use regarding that are very bad for people. You end up with someone that all they ever do is make excuses, then get paranoid because they truly HAVE pissed some people off plus they have all that stuff they did that they hope people won't find out about.

Sheer pressure of running and managing a group like that. Being the go to guy. Being "Source", being the CEO. That can crack some people, particularly when this other stuff is going on.

Feedback?

Last edited:

tarbaby

Patron with Honors
powertrippers

Sheer pressure of running and managing a group like that. Being the go to guy. Being "Source", being the CEO. That can crack some people, particularly when this other stuff is going on. Feeback?

Powertrippers, all. "Power corrupts, and abslolute power corrupts absolutely." That's the operant principle.

What greater power to claim is there than the power over another's immortal soul? (if s/he believes there is such a thing)

Feh.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Agreed,Dennis.

I think there was power tripping in every single one of those cases. And I do think power corrupts. I guess I was also trying to dissect why and how it corrupts.

barky

Patron with Honors
Hmm, interesting.

Let's assume, for a moment, that LRH took a different path in his youth, and didn't invent Scn at all. Doesn't matter what else, just something different.

Would he still have become a megalomaniac in that field of endeavor, whether he became a corporate executive, a Hollywood producer, a real estate magnate, a haberdasher, or a dairy farmer?

Did creating a religion turn him into a madman, or was he a madman who created a religion??

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Interesting thoughts, Barky.

Hubbard did say he had been working on this stuff other lifetimes. I tend to think that is true.

But, yes, he also had flaws in his character. It is logical to think that those flaws would have come out in other endeavors. If you read Ron the War Hero, it appears that this would be so.

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
There is not much mystery in why power causes trouble.

Power amplifies!

If you only talk to 5 or 6 people a year - your personality problems do not show up. But, if you see 20 or 30 people a day your personality problems get amplified.

A 2 bit dictator of a small group - badly effects a few, but if the group suddenly grows huge - the problems of the bad effects become huge.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

Zinjifar

Silver Meritorious Sponsor
There is not much mystery in why power causes trouble.

Power amplifies!

If you only talk to 5 or 6 people a year - your personality problems do not show up. But, if you see 20 or 30 people a day your personality problems get amplified.

A 2 bit dictator of a small group - badly effects a few, but if the group suddenly grows huge - the problems of the bad effects become huge.

Alan

I think it's worse.

It's not just about 'mirroring', but about 'feedback'.

A merely arrogant asshole operating in a system where his every arrogance meets swift rebuff is little danger to himself or others.

The best learn and modify themselves.

The worst go down in flaming inglory, blaming the conspiracy all the way.

Far worse is a semi-successful arrogant asshole who acquires a couple of acolytes who can run defense for him.

Then, there is no direct feedback to control his arrogance and it can bloom

Once he's even a *little* 'successful' he will begin to attract the 'He's successful! It must be good!' acolytes, who will in turn willingly volunteer to defend *HIM* from 'attack'.

A Guru Trap is a trap because, the worse it is, the better it works.

Since the 'Guru' never hears criticism, thanks to his stalwart 'defenders', he has no possibility to control his blooming EGO.

That's what happened to Hubbard, I think.

An amusing and potentially 'good' guy so terrified of objective scrutiny that he surrounded Himself with Flak Catchers which removed the natural limitation on sphincterdom.

Zinj

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Have either of you read Dianetics in Limbo? That was written by an early Dianeticist. Evidently, the interest in power and the lack of responsibility was present quite early on.

It just amazes me he came up with so many interesting and workable methods and principles.

I haven't ever thought about power amplifying. That's something I want to think about. Thanks for the feedback.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
After I left Scn, one of the first things I looked at was Theosophy and being fresh from Scn, it was startling how similar the character of LRH and Blavatsky seemed to be. Sometimes, reading her words you could almost hear LRH, especially in how she reacted to opposition.

Yes, Helen O'Brien's "Dianetics in Limbo" is very intereseting. She and her partner got on ok with him until they headed up the Association then they noticed how Hubbard was sabotaging them - a trait that continued through the years in his attitude to all his assistants. Also interesting, that in those early days he didn't seem to be bothered by squirrels and charlatans who attached themselves, he thought it added "elan"! I found that surprising.

As well as the other good points made about cult leaders, I also believe admiration/devotion is extremely abberative, especially to the sort of egos who tend to start religious movements.

Voltaire's Child

Fool on the Hill
Was rather disappointing but not surprising that Hubbard acted that way pretty early on.

Ah well.

It's interesting that he came up with what he came up with even while this stupid crap was going on.