What's new

Travolta spokesperson for Qantas ruffles feathers

I get the video. I like John. I don't understand why they would be upset about that. :confused2:

The report claimed the employees thought the video 'corny'. This is likely true. I've yet to see a corporate training video that wasn't. I hope JT got paid well for the turkey.

Mark A. Baker

FoTi

Crusader
I can't get the video....it won't play for more than a fraction of a second and then shuts off.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I get the video. I like John. I don't understand why they would be upset about that. :confused2:

I suspect the employees are upset because the video is demeaning to them and has their company fronted by a spokeshole for an evil cult.

I see also that this story has got legs - its made it from Aussie to the Guardian and Huffington Post. Hopefully, and even if only for bottom-line reasons, corporations like Qantas will realise more and more that Scientology is PR poison.

IMMORTAL

Patron Meritorious
I suspect the employees are upset because the video is demeaning to them and has their company fronted by a spokeshole for an evil cult.

I see also that this story has got legs - its made it from Aussie to the Guardian and Huffington Post. Hopefully, and even if only for bottom-line reasons, corporations like Qantas will realise more and more that Scientology is PR poison.

Well now...... THAT I can understand! Thanks Infinite!

GoNuclear

Gold Meritorious Patron
Considering ...

Considering that John Revolta has been known to lend his plane and/or personally fly back high powered int base escapees according to Marty Rathbun, John Revolta should do an ad for CultAir, DM's personal airline. Or perhaps a movie by the name CultAir, which, of course, would be a parody satire of Nick Cage's "Con Air". WTF, it couldn't be any worse than BattleField Earth.

Pete

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Well, I consider John Travolta's interest in flying and his engagement with Quantas wholesome and quite agreeable. It's something I can understand..

OTOH, if Quantas is 'positioned' PR-wise with the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology I start to worry that Quantas pilots might be flying by 'positive postulate' and relying on 'OT abilities' instead of their flight consoles!

:nervous:

Royal Prince Xenu

Trust the Psi Corps.
Well, I consider John Travolta's interest in flying and his engagement with Quantas wholesome and quite agreeable. It's something I can understand..

OTOH, if Quantas is 'positioned' PR-wise with the Sinister Scam Cult of Scientology I start to worry that Quantas pilots might be flying by 'positive postulate' and relying on 'OT abilities' instead of their flight consoles!

:nervous:

Totally diagree. QANTAS is an Australian Icon. Travolta is not.

Petey C

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm a Qantas frequent flyer and I found the video kind of patronising and puke-making, even before the Scn connection. I don't think he's the right guy to be fronting a nominally Australian airline. Geeze, I mean, how about Russell Crowe? Jason Akermanis? Brendon Fevola? Lara Bingle? These are all Ozzie icons known for their discretion and charming behaviour! And to the best of my knowledge their only addictions are sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, not a weird sci-fi cult.

SchwimmelPuckel

Genuine Meatball
Totally disagree. QANTAS is an Australian Icon. Travolta is not.
Uhm.. My point is: Travolta's airplanes and interest in that ain't the problem.. His being a Scientology propellerhead with BT's in little pink helicopters buzzing is.. And Scientology being an evil mindbender cult with a political agenda to make Orwell's 1984 seem a regular picnic aggravates the problem.

Hmm.. It's a PR problem for Qantas really.. As their aircrews correctly say.. It's a pretty BIG problem too..

:yes:

thetanic

Gold Meritorious Patron

He actually has his wings through Qantas, though. At least that's what he said on a special I saw about the Airbus 380.

Infinite

Troublesome Internet Fringe Dweller
I'm a Qantas frequent flyer and I found the video kind of patronising and puke-making, even before the Scn connection. I don't think he's the right guy to be fronting a nominally Australian airline. Geeze, I mean, how about Russell Crowe? Jason Akermanis? Brendon Fevola? Lara Bingle? These are all Ozzie icons known for their discretion and charming behaviour! And to the best of my knowledge their only addictions are sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, not a weird sci-fi cult.

Just to be a pedant: Russell Crowe is a Kiwi. But, you can have him. Please.

russell_crowe.jpg

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
I'm also a Qantas Frequent Flyer.

I have absolutely no problem with this video. JT doesn't sound insincere. The world knows that he really is a pilot, not just an actor. Plus, I had always assumed that the guys they used for these things WERE actors!

The goal of these videos is achieved only if they catch the attention of passengers. JT is more likely to do that that an unknown person.

hmmmm...

there is so much writing on this board about the imminent demise of CoS but as long as, for instance, qantas does not fear being stigmatized by hiring jt for such a video CoS cannot even remotely be thought to be facing any serious threat to it's existence.