What's new

Ever Work for a Scientologist-Owned Company?

I worked for a Scientologist company for a while while I was on staff.

All of the other employees knew each other and had grown up together. Most of these employees had one thing in common: they were on the outskirts of Scientology.

In this clique, they were all ex-Sea Org. Some were no longer active in Scientology, but not talking about it. Some did courses now and then, and the business owners were constantly hit up for donations, but were rarely on service themselves.

Myself being the staff member, I was totally left out. I thought it was so strange. I liked all of them, genuinely. I had no intention of trying to get them to come in on services if they didn't want to. I never agreed with the "Don't be reasonable" Scientologist mindset. I was a suck Scientologist because I believed that people had a right to chose whether or not they wanted to be active in any religion, even Scientology. I guess I'm suppressive. >:)

At the time when I left the job, I was treated very poorly. And I couldn't figure out why.

Now it is kind of hitting me. They assumed I was a snitch, a narc, a spy for the Co$. Maybe not totally, but they could not trust me. I could give away personal information if someone had asked me about them. And I would have.

Myself being someone now who is not necessarily in good standing, but is not declared, I understand. I have no intention of ever going back to the church. I don't want anyone there knowing anything about me, other than the fact that I am a lot better after leaving. I don't want the risk of Scn figuring out where I live, or my new phone number, or dropping by to see me at work. It angers me thinking about the small CHANCE that I would have to put up with that again in my life.

I feel like such an ass now. If I were to run into these people I worked with on the street, I would apologize, and let them know - I'm out. And I think it would be relieving to talk with someone I used to know, and know the truth from them, that they doubt, or that they are out, too.

I am curious about other people's experiences working in Scientologist-owned businesses. If you did, what kind of stuff did you experience? I know that gossip about other members was everywhere. And I know that it is the job I literally got screamed at the most. Soooo angry and controlling, like they were just trapped in their situations and couldn't do anything about it but be mean to the active Scientologist.

So what's up, ESMB? What did you experience? Looking forward to hearing about it. :)

Knows

Gold Meritorious Patron
Scientology run businesses use the tech. Spend some time reading on how the tech works when standardly applied - devastation, destruction and ruin!

My experience of Scientologist's in and running businesses is they are arrogant, rude and superior to us homo saps! It's the EP of their "services". They can't help it - they spend a ton of money and get put through meat grinders every time they step into a Scientology building.

They also think they are more valuable than other companies.

Post Card Mania is one of the most expensive mailing companies on the planet. I would never use any Scientology run company or doctor - EVER! The Dentists and other health care practioner's that use the TECH are trained to manipulate YOU out of your money because THAT is what Scientology does to them.

It is clever how it works - but it is ALWAYS about the money! If you ever think it is not, get your clay out and do some demos after investigating the financial condition of most of the individual Scientologist's you know and their companies.

Check out court records - see the debt lawsuits piling up, foreclosure and Bankruptcy. It is all public record. Maybe notify members about this so they can have the information they need to know the truth - Scientology ruins everyone financially - eventually - they will bankrupt you. It is expected!

Most of them are broke and in debt beyond belief and if you do business with them - YOU WILL PAY for their Bridge and donations to the IAS! In a sick sort of way - they justify it...thinking that they are special and they know more than you therefore it is okay to overcharge you for their services....it is designed that way. It is the program Scientology uses to bilk Billions of dollars out of its victims!

The question - others doing it to others - is Scientology. Just stop contributing to it and get out!

Last edited:

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
The WORST manager/owner I ever worked for in my life was a recent OTVII NOTS completion. Aribitrary, narcissistic, brutal, ineffective and incredibly smarmy and abusive. On the other hand, I worked for a handful of other Scientologists who were decent.

Wogdom seemed dramatically better run and more realistic.

FoTi

Crusader
Scientology run businesses use the tech. Spend some time reading on how the tech works when standardly applied - devastation, destruction and ruin!

My experience of Scientologist's in and running businesses is they are arrogant, rude and superior to us homo saps! It's the EP of their "services". They can't help it - they spend a ton of money and get put through meat grinders every time they step into a building.

They also think they are more valuable than other companies. I would never use any Scientology run company or doctor - EVER!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.......I agree with what Knows says here.

I worked for several of them. The owners seem to act as if they are gods and you (the employee) are next to worthless....maybe they are trying to be LRH? They seem to think that they are so valuable as an OT and you need to flow them power while they give you squat for your efforts (much like the orgs treat their staff) The owners make all the money and pay for their own bridge while the employees scrape along financially and get no where....and I hate that rule that they have where you have to replace yourself before you can leave that stinking job or else they will give you trouble and write you up to ethics.

My experiences of working for Scientologists was bad.

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

My experience of Scientologist's in and running businesses is they are arrogant, rude and superior to us homo saps! It's the EP of their "services". They can't help it - they spend a ton of money and get put through meat grinders every time they step into a building.

They also think they are more valuable than other companies. Post Card Mania is one of the most expensive mailing companies on the planet. I would never use any Scientology run company or doctor - EVER!

Actually, unless they are a field auditor practice, they don't use the tech. They use the Admin. :wink2:

Auditor's Toad

Clear as Mud
I worked for a couple of scio owned companies.

Seemed geared to keeping the owner & wife at flag & everybody else busting their butt making money for the owners.

Stats were always a BIG deal.
Owners knew jack about admin but had some Xstaff there to "run" the place.

More boiler room hustle than real biz.

I never stayed at any long as the reality of income was never near what the promoted potential could ever be.

Boojuum

...The owners seem to act as if they are gods and you (the employee) are next to worthless....maybe they are trying to be LRH? They seem to think that they are so valuable as an OT and you need to flow them power while they give you squat for your efforts (much like the orgs treat their staff) The owners make all the money and pay for their own bridge while the employees scrape along financially and get no where....and I hate that rule that they have where you have to replace yourself before you can leave that stinking job or else they will give you trouble and write you up to ethics.

YES!!! The bad Scieno place I worked for followed the above rules. It was like the owner was attempting to copy the L Ron Hubbard path to success by abusing and underpaying anyone foolish enough to work for them. Additionally, the notion of "having to find a replacement" is a master/slave idiocy introduced by LRH.

Gib

Crusader
YES!!! The bad Scieno place I worked for followed the above rules. It was like the owner was attempting to copy the L Ron Hubbard path to success by abusing and underpaying anyone foolish enough to work for them. Additionally, the notion of "having to find a replacement" is a master/slave idiocy introduced by LRH.

I still can't believe people believe that having to find a replacement when one wants to leave COS staff is a reguirement. It just ain't true, per the actual Policy Letters. Have you not done a proper research?

That is not what LRH said in the PL's. It is, however, how people have misinterpeted it and how they have fowarded some false data, and how staff have used it to get people to not leave, and how staff have used it to control people to save their own asses. God dam.

I worked in HCO as the HAS and as PCO and know the PL's.

The PL's state if you, as a staff member, wish to move to another position or move up to a higher org, one is supposed to replace himself, so as not to disrupt production and stats.

BUT, if one wishes to leave staff, there is no reguirement for replacing oneself. One is only supposed to do a sec check which should take only a week. And if one wishes to leave staff after the sec check, then ok.

I am not trying to make hubbard right here, but I am just trying to forward the truth. Jeepers.

If you want, I'll post pics of the PL's.

You tell me if you want me to that, otherwise I won't do it, as would be evident not enough people believe or wish to read the actual PL's, which obviously if you haven't, and you've learned "if it ain't written it ain't true".

And that last statement saved my ass from becoming a true blue die hard dumb ass "scientologist" where stupid is what stupid is.

end of rant. :laugh:

Gib

Crusader
I worked for a couple of scio owned companies.

Seemed geared to keeping the owner & wife at flag & everybody else busting their butt making money for the owners.

Stats were always a BIG deal.
Owners knew jack about admin but had some Xstaff there to "run" the place.

More boiler room hustle than real biz.

I never stayed at any long as the reality of income was never near what the promoted potential could ever be.

that's about what I figured out. In the beginning I thought it would be one happy family helping us low level scientologists moving up the bridge.

Truth was as you say. :hysterical:

uniquemand

Unbeliever
I still can't believe people believe that having to find a replacement when one wants to leave COS staff is a reguirement. It just ain't true, per the actual Policy Letters. Have you not done a proper research?

That is not what LRH said in the PL's. It is, however, how people have misinterpeted it and how they have fowarded some false data, and how staff have used it to get people to not leave, and how staff have used it to control people to save their own asses. God dam.

The PL's state if you, as a staff member, wish to move to another position or move up to a higher org, one is supposed to replace himself, so as not to disrupt production and stats.

BUT, if one wishes to leave staff, there is no reguirement for replacing oneself. One is only supposed to do a sec check which should take only a week. And if one wishes to leave staff after the sec check, then ok.

I am not trying to make hubbard right here, but I am just trying to forward the truth. Jeepers.

You tell me if you want me to that, otherwise I won't do it, as would be evident not enough people believe or wish to read the actual PL's, which obviously if you haven't, and you've learned "if it ain't written it ain't true".

And that last statement saved my ass from becoming a true blue die hard dumb ass "scientologist" where stupid is what stupid is.

Also, when leaving the Church, why abide by any of their rules? FUCK 'EM.

guanoloco

As-Wased
I was once employed (W-2d) as a volunteer at this drug free work place called Scientology so that Ron could have a work free drug place...

ClearedSP

Patron with Honors
Actually, unless they are a field auditor practice, they don't use the tech. They use the Admin. :wink2:

One scientology business I worked for sure used the ethics. Most of their employees were low ranking staff (moonlighting or on leave), and the owners were public oatees who hadn't run out of cash yet. In a pinch, they would do things like have employees work sixteen hours a day, 6 days a week, with no overtime. If the employee went to the labor board, they'd get declared for not going through channels. If they went through channels, it'd be chaplain's court with them vs public cash cows, so there wasn't much doubt about how it'd go. Management made it very clear that they knew it would go that way, and literally laughed at the idea of being challenged. I couldn't stand working there for very long, and was all smiles when they later went out of business.

pkatz

Patron with Honors
Yes, I worked for eight of them in a row over eight or nine years. At some I was way over my head and failed, at some I hung on.

In order they are: Snow Software (owned by the incomparable Scott Snow, who I believe is deceased), Hotlines (business lead generators, good guys), Singer Consultants (Chiropractors, yes YOU can see 100 patients a day, just like David Singer!), Distribution Video (VHS tapes, used), AMC (another lead generator owned by the incomparable Benetta Slaughter),Trade Net (multi-level marketer of laundry balls, (see wikipedia) owned by Irwin Anau, who was declared for his business bringing Scn into disrepute) and Event Management (Marsha Friedman).

At Distribution Video, owned by Mike Kobrin and Rudy ___(?), I did very well. They wanted their employees to succeed. Mike Kobrin's spouse is Helena, of Kobrin and Moxon, Attorneys. He had an interesting comm cycle with Tory at a restaurant which she talked about in a video. [Sorry I can't link to it as my employer blocks access to Youtube on their server.]

Mike and Rudy sold the business to three partners: Gene Gross, a great guy some of whose facebook friends may indicate he's free of CoS; Howard G., who showed little day-to-day interest; and Ben K., a somewhat strange character (for two years he would enunciate my full name for no apparent reason with what he thought was melodramatic flair without following it up with any statement or question. I told him he needed some new material and he finally quit doing it). Ben bought out his partners and managed the place well. It continued to thrive when he brought his sons into the business. DVDs finally killed VHS and doomed the used video tape business.

edit: There was an eighth scn-run company I worked for: Golden Something (Images?) we sold gold jewelry to hospital employees at in-house shows and part of the proceeds of each show went to the volunteer organization at that hospital. The owner, Bob Metzler was ex-GO and behind the scenes was a real prick, tho at a show he was all smiles. His wife was plain nuts. Lots of money to be made there if you could put up with 9 months of constant travel and the Metzlers.

Last edited:

Boojuum

Yes, I worked for seven of them in a row over eight or nine years. At some I was way over my head and failed, at some I hung on.

In order they are: Snow Software (owned by the incomparable Scott Snow, who I believe is deceased), Hotlines (business lead generators, good guys), Singer Consultants (Chiropractors, yes YOU can see 100 patients a day, just like David Singer!), Distribution Video (VHS tapes, used), AMC (another lead generator owned by the incomparably horrid Benetta Slaughter),Trade Net (multi-level marketer of laundry balls, (see wikipedia) owned by Irwin Anau, who was declared for his business bringing Scn into disrepute) and Event Management (Marsha Friedman).

At Distribution Video, owned by Mike Kobrin and Rudy ___(?), I did very well. They wanted their employees to succeed. Mike Kobrin's spouse is Helena, of Kobrin and Moxon, Attorneys. He had an interesting comm cycle with Tory at a restaurant which she talked about in a video. [Sorry I can't link to it as my employer blocks access to Youtube on their server.]

Mike and Rudy sold the business to three partners: Gene Gross, a great guy some of whose facebook friends may indicate he's free of CoS; Howard G., who showed little day-to-day interest; and Ben K., a somewhat strange character (for two years he would enunciate my full name for no apparent reason with what he thought was melodramatic flair but not follow up with any statement or question. I told him he needed some new material and he finally quit doing it). Ben bought out his partners and managed the place well. It continued to thrive when he brought his sons into the business. DVDs finally killed VHS and doomed the used video tape business.

Great Post! I appreciate your balanced recollection.

I've worked for a number of wog and Scieno companies and the Scieno companies I worked for had much less money to work with (or share?) and were new and my experiences were mostly part-time. So to make a generalized statement that either wog or Scieno companies are bad places to work for would be inaccurate. It would be accurate to say that the Scientology run places tended to use "the conditions" or various other LRH admin notions as rough tools to make the company more profitable. Looking back, it was easier for the Scieno managers/owners to vilify the employees with the vast array of blame/make-wrong "tech" that Hubbard seemed to relish. The wogs, even in trying conditions, managed to stay relatively civil and sane. LRH built up and extended the skill of brow-beating, SRA's, blistering verbal attacks, a blame-mentality which most Scienos who had ANY staff experience were familiar with. I think the admin "tech" of LRH was only occasionally helpful and frequently mis-directed the owner/manager/employees.

Working for Scientologists always had the notion of making a great deal of money to get up the bridge usually without developing a skill set or career. The true cred in the Scieno firms was what case level, level of auditor, staff or SO experience, OEC or FEBC grad, It was as if a career or obtaining a great skill in anything non-Scieno was trivial. The world tends to pay for someone who is skilled. I wonder what would have happened if LRH had been a magnificent plumber or carpenter or electrician or a real engineer or a real salesman, perhaps he would have insisted that learning a viable trade was a critical step in living a successful life (which is fairly obvious).

Then again, LRH wanted us for Scientology and nothing else.:thumbsup:

Boojuum

Leaving staff was considered in my org and any org I knew of to be okay ONLY if you have a replacement. If LRH didn't write that, I'm sure he knew that was the policy being employed whether written or not. It's interesting that you say that there's no policy about that.

Here's the way the "Leaving Staff" policy is applied. .....NO FUCKING WAY and WE WILL USE EVERY MEANS AT OUR DISPOSAL TO KEEP YOUR SORRY ASS IN THIS INSTUTITION UNTIL YOU DIE--sec checks, endless meetings with HCO, endless meetings with upper level hot shot OT sales types, your best friends, your spouses, your exes, your family, love-bombing, endless shit work, endless O/W write-ups, ship you to another location. YOU ARE NOT LEAVING.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.......I agree with what Knows says here.

I worked for several of them. The owners seem to act as if they are gods and you (the employee) are next to worthless....maybe they are trying to be LRH? They seem to think that they are so valuable as an OT and you need to flow them power while they give you squat for your efforts (much like the orgs treat their staff) The owners make all the money and pay for their own bridge while the employees scrape along financially and get no where....and I hate that rule that they have where you have to replace yourself before you can leave that stinking job or else they will give you trouble and write you up to ethics.

I was a Scientologist business owner for close to twenty years. I don't think I was like that.

Then again, I never employed a Scientologist (except for my wife). I didn't want anybody reporting back to the org about my life and business.

I think one big culprit is WISE. I joined WISE briefly. They were focused on chiropractors, and if you weren't a chiropractor, they had no time. The first and only WISE meeting I went to, they were talking about how everybody overpays their staff. My thought was "in private industry, if you underpay, you have excessive turnover, which sucks if you had to spend time getting them familiarized with the job to a point where they were useful", so I walked away.

Enthetan

Master of Disaster
Leaving staff was considered in my org and any org I knew of to be okay ONLY if you have a replacement. If LRH didn't write that, I'm sure he knew that was the policy being employed whether written or not. It's interesting that you say that there's no policy about that.

Here's the way the "Leaving Staff" policy is applied. .....NO FUCKING WAY and WE WILL USE EVERY MEANS AT OUR DISPOSAL TO KEEP YOUR SORRY ASS IN THIS INSTUTITION UNTIL YOU DIE--sec checks, endless meetings with HCO, endless meetings with upper level hot shot OT sales types, your best friends, your spouses, your exes, your family, love-bombing, endless shit work, endless O/W write-ups, ship you to another location. YOU ARE NOT LEAVING.

I've seen people be told that they could not leave org staff until they recruited and trained up their replacement, EVEN AFTER THEIR CONTRACT WAS UP, under threat of declare.

Gib

Crusader
I've seen people be told that they could not leave org staff until they recruited and trained up their replacement, EVEN AFTER THEIR CONTRACT WAS UP, under threat of declare.

I routed off staff twice, and neither time I found a replacement.

There are only 3 policies to apply. So any lurkers who wish to leave staff listen up.

The 3 policies are:

If it aint written it aint true, verbal data PL
Staff Leaving & Leaves
Staff Dismals Promotions.

I can't get to the exact PL's dates today, but can on Monday.

My experience of Scientologist's in and running businesses is they are arrogant, rude and superior to us homo saps! It's the EP of their "services". They can't help it - they spend a ton of money and get put through meat grinders every time they step into a Scientology building.

They also think they are more valuable than other companies.

Post Card Mania is one of the most expensive mailing companies on the planet. I would never use any Scientology run company or doctor - EVER! The Dentists and other health care practioner's that use the TECH are trained to manipulate YOU out of your money because THAT is what Scientology does to them.

It is clever how it works - but it is ALWAYS about the money! If you ever think it is not, get your clay out and do some demos after investigating the financial condition of most of the individual Scientologist's you know and their companies.

Check out court records - see the debt lawsuits piling up, foreclosure and Bankruptcy. It is all public record. Maybe notify members about this so they can have the information they need to know the truth - Scientology ruins everyone financially - eventually - they will bankrupt you. It is expected!

Most of them are broke and in debt beyond belief and if you do business with them - YOU WILL PAY for their Bridge and donations to the IAS! In a sick sort of way - they justify it...thinking that they are special and they know more than you therefore it is okay to overcharge you for their services....it is designed that way. It is the program Scientology uses to bilk Billions of dollars out of its victims!

The question - others doing it to others - is Scientology. Just stop contributing to it and get out!

I definitely found that the business office managers were VERY rude and arrogant and thought that they were better than everyone else.

At least where I worked, it seemed the services were fairly priced and they based their services on quality. They have many customers who are not Scientologists because they do deliver a quality product at an acceptable price.

The lower-down employees were definitely underpaid, though. At least they paid more than minimum wage, and paid overtime.