What's new

LRH ADVICE

sp declared

Patron with Honors
Even though I am no longer involved in scientology I still consider brilliant some of LRH works and ideas. When I look at the man, I have somehow mixed ideas: part of his work was great, part was "a solution that became a problem" to use scn lingo.

Today I want to talk about an aspect that was never really looked into: the LRH advices (messages LRH sent to DM and to int mgmt in the 80's and were kept confidential to the majority of the staff). Some of the advices were later issued as HCOPL's or Network Orders, some were kept secret. The advices contained LRH's ideas and tips he would give to DM and to management.

As far as I am concerned one of the biggest mistake DM made in managing the scientology show was to consider the LRH advice actual policy and try to enforce them over dead bodies. LRh made it clear , there is a big difference between an order and a policy (is written somewhere in vol 0). Yet the advices were used as actual policies and contributed to bring scn as a group very low on the tone scale.

I think LRH wrote the advices while he was on the run or hiding from court cases, etc. Their content is very low on the scn tone scale (i'd say 2.0-1.5). There he talks about businessmen being all out ethics (a generalization in itself), about public scientologists that need to be controlled and kept in line, about Mission Holders being off the rails, etc, etc. In the advices he was hypercritical, worried, concerned about ethics, infiltration, lower conditions, heads on a pike, etc. I mean, the first time I read them I was shocked. "How can this be the man who discovered the ARC triangle?"

Part of the DM management style from my viewpoint comes directly from there. Were scn to ever recover on the tone scale, a wise administrator would immediately burn and throw away all the LRH advices. They were not to be enforced as policies. They were just rantings from an old man who was worried and on the run.

Best
SP Declared

Last edited:

Rene Descartes

Gold Meritorious Patron
Funny how LRH said something about in order to really experience life one had to get out there and live it.

Too bad that was not Standing Order #1 and severely enforced.

I think of all the life that people in the Church and especially the Sea Org are missing out on.

Rd00

Veda

Sponsor
Even though I am no longer involved in scientology I still consider brilliant some of LRH works and ideas. When I look at the man, I have somehow mixed ideas: part of his work was great, part was "a solution that became a problem" to use scn lingo.

Today I want to talk about an aspect that was never really looked into: the LRH advices (messages LRH sent to DM and to int mgmt in the 80's and were kept confidential to the majority of the staff). Some of the advices were later issued as HCOPL's or Network Orders, some were kept secret. The advices contained LRH's ideas and tips he would give to DM and to management.

As far as I am concerned one of the biggest mistake DM made in managing the scientology show was to consider the LRH advice actual policy and try to enforce them over dead bodies. LRh made it clear , there is a big difference between an order and a policy (is written somewhere in vol 0). Yet the advices were used as actual policies and contributed to bring scn as a group very low on the tone scale.

I think LRH wrote the advices while he was on the run or hiding from court cases, etc. Their content is very low on the scn tone scale (i'd say 2.0-1.5). There he talks about businessmen being all out ethics (a generalization in itself), about public scientologists that need to be controlled and kept in line, about Mission Holders being off the rails, etc, etc. In the advices he was hypercritical, worried, concerned about ethics, infiltration, lower conditions, heads on a pike, etc. I mean, the first time I read them I was shocked. "How can this be the man who discovered the ARC triangle?"

Part of the DM management style from my viewpoint comes directly from there. Were scn to ever recover on the tone scale, a wise administrator would immediately burn and throw away all the LRH advices. They were not to be enforced as policies. They were just rantings from an old man who was worried and on the run.

Best
SP Declared

There is a secret strata: confidential HCOBs and HCOPLs that are not in the 'Volumes'; it's been this way since the 1960s.

And above the confidential HCOPLs and HCOBs are other confidential issues, and highly confidential issues, by LRH.

These trump mere non-confidential "policy," etc.

Writings by Hubbard about "policy" (known non-confidential policy), as being senior, were mostly PR. Non-confidential policy was always, ultimately, subordinate, to confidential writing, and to Command Intention, Command Intention that regarded enduring fame, power, money, attacking enemies, Intelligence gathering, and phony PR to be senior to publicized tech and policy.

Advices came later, and added to the collection of senior confidential writings by Hubbard. Their content does not drastically change the earlier confidential Hubbard writings of the 1960s and 70s.

Per Hubbard's instruction, Scientology is to be run as a "tight conspiracy," much like a criminal syndicate.

P.S. Those things you noted - which I placed in bold lettering - have been part of Scientology for a long time.

IMO, whatever was going on in Hubbard's mind, in latter years, was also occurring as far back as 1938 (ref. August 1938 'Excalibur letter', a.k.a. 'Mission Statement'); ref. also the 'Affirmations', which date to the late 1930s, with the 1946 text partially available; and moving into the 1950s, there are Hubbard's letters to the FBI, and into the 1960s, numerous confidential Scientology writings. Many of these writings are confidential HCOPLs, or higher.

Hubbard's writings with only "LRH" or "R" on them, or with no name (no author attribution), are given the highest ranking; it's been that way since the 1960s, although the membership are told, falsely, it's "all in the Green Volumes," etc., and that there is "no hidden data line'.

Scientology wouldn't be Scientology without its institutionalized 'hidden data line'. Policy says there is no 'hidden data line', but there always was.

As an old ex-sea Org executive once said, "Policy is mainly cover," meaning the "really serious stuff" occurs outside and above 'policy'.

That doesn't mean that the brilliance you perceive isn't there, it only means that Scientology is even stranger than you may have suspected.

Last edited:

Tim Skog

Silver Meritorious Patron
I had the rare opportunity to read a R advice that made me think that he was f-ing whacko. I had just been assigned as PR for RTC in 1984 and RTC wanted to do a PR event to announce the creation of the new marks of Scientology. I can't cite the advice verbatim but it was to the effect that when RTC did its PR event it should hire a large brass band and have a parade in whatever major American city it would hold the event it. I had to read it twice. The first time I thought it had to be a joke, so I read it again. NO, LRH was very clear about a large brass band and a parade.

Well an event was eventually held at the Founding Church in DC in '84. Heber was used as the Church spokesperson and we presented a lavish looking display of silver ingots in a wooden case made of purpleheart wood. There were about a half dozen ingots, each one cast with one of the various Scientology logos on it, for example the double triangle symbol.

The announcement was received with little to no enthusiasm by the few media that did attend the event. Mostly the reaction was "huh, why does a church have trademarks."

I was a new SO member at the time, in fact I had yet do do my EPF. Eventually I went on to a short career as the RTC PR. Warren McShane replaced me when I went on the decks. When I came off the decks I was assigned back into PR under Warren for another short stint and then back onto the decks. I spent more time on the decks than I did on post while in RTC.

To make a long story short I was moved over to OSA US PR (for two years) and eventually to Bridge to be the PR. I had another very short stint on the Bridge post but that was due to my choosing. I blew in July '86.

When I look back on my entire two years-plus career in the SO, it was spent in doubt. I know that that advice was always in the back of my mind and it was just one of those little things that bugged me. It is not the reason I blew but it is something that got me wondering about the rightness of mind of LRH.

Maybe we should have hired that brass band.

Tim Skog

Thank you Klidov. I love your avatar. Someday I have to post a longer thread on the new member side.

sp declared

Patron with Honors
P.S. Those things you noted - which I placed in bold lettering - have been part of Scientology for a long time.

IMO, whatever was going on in Hubbard's mind, in latter years, was also occurring as far back as 1938 (ref. August 1938 'Excalibur letter', a.k.a. 'Mission Statement'); ref. also the 'Affirmations', which date to the late 1930s, with the 1946 text partially available; and moving into the 1950s, there are Hubbard's letters to the FBI, and into the 1960s, numerous confidential Scientology writings. Many of these writings are confidential HCOPLs, or higher.

Hubbard's writings with only "LRH" or "R" on them, or with no name (no author attribution), are given the highest ranking; it's been that way since the 1960s, although the membership are told, falsely, it's "all in the Green Volumes," etc., and that there is "no hidden data line'.

Scientology wouldn't be Scientology without its institutionalized 'hidden data line'. Policy says there is no 'hidden data line', but there always was.

As an old ex-sea Org executive once said, "Policy is mainly cover," meaning the "really serious stuff" occurs outside and above 'policy'.

That doesn't mean that the brilliance you perceive isn't there, it only means that Scientology is even stranger than you may have suspected.

Thanks Veda,

This whole process of rediscovering scientology is a "rundown" in itself and it is kind of hard to put order in one's mind...

As far as I can think Ron at some points had gotten some good points (ARC, logic, exchange, etc), perhaps he made the mistake of never making THE choice: either turning scientology into a business with all that it entailed, either making the quantum ethics leap needed to become a real "bona fide" religion.

Even if I am confused, I think that many of ambiguities that now have become serious problems for scientology somehow stem from the point above. LRH was a keen and cunny businessman (the size of scientology is the proof) but, philosophically, I may say that:

scientology is too much a business to be a really useful religion, and
scientology is too much religious (IE dogmatic, prone to justification, etc) to be really a workable business.

Throw in LRH personality flaws (after all, even if he played "the guru", he was a man like any others) and DM insanity (he was even worse than the advice...) and you get scientology today...

Anyway the whole story of scientology is somehow puzzling or fascinating.

Thanks for your input

Sp Declared

Div6

Crusader
I had the rare opportunity to read a R advice that made me think that he was f-ing whacko. I had just been assigned as PR for RTC in 1984 and RTC wanted to do a PR event to announce the creation of the new marks of Scientology. I can't cite the advice verbatim but it was to the effect that when RTC did its PR event it should hire a large brass band and have a parade in whatever major American city it would hold the event it. I had to read it twice. The first time I thought it had to be a joke, so I read it again. NO, LRH was very clear about a large brass band and a parade.

Well an event was eventually held at the Founding Church in DC in '84. Heber was used as the Church spokesperson and we presented a lavish looking display of silver ingots in a wooden case made of purpleheart wood. There were about a half dozen ingots, each one cast with one of the various Scientology logos on it, for example the double triangle symbol.

The announcement was received with little to no enthusiasm by the few media that did attend the event. Mostly the reaction was "huh, why does a church have trademarks."

I was a new SO member at the time, in fact I had yet do do my EPF. Eventually I went on to a short career as the RTC PR. Warren McShane replaced me when I went on the decks. When I came off the decks I was assigned back into PR under Warren for another short stint and then back onto the decks. I spent more time on the decks than I did on post while in RTC.

To make a long story short I was moved over to OSA US PR (for two years) and eventually to Bridge to be the PR. I had another very short stint on the Bridge post but that was due to my choosing. I blew in July '86.

When I look back on my entire two years-plus career in the SO, it was spent in doubt. I know that that advice was always in the back of my mind and it was just one of those little things that bugged me. It is not the reason I blew but it is something that got me wondering about the rightness of mind of LRH.

Maybe we should have hired that brass band.

What a hoot. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare it would have been to block off the streets in DC for a parade? I think you got off real easy.

lionheart

Gold Meritorious Patron
How dare you not follow LRH advice! :D

The lack of the brass band parade is the whole "why" for the current Scn situation! :hysterical:

Veda is right, poor Ron always had the secret intentions in place.

As to why "advices" are treated senior to policy - one needs to look at Ron's intentions as best as we can know them.

We know in the 30's/40's he had the intention to make men his slaves. We know by the late 60's he had created a cult where his devotees did whatever he said unquestioningly.

If it looks like a slave cult - it is a slave cult. From the SO creation onwards we had a group of devotees who robotically followed Command Intention in whatever medium he wrote it. To handle the contradictions and confusions that the vast LRH output caused in the reader, the reader would pick the latest issue from LRH as the stable datum. I believe this was a deliberate LRH misuse of the "Prior confusion" theory. He sowed the confusion to create the robotic following of orders.

So the poor hapless SO slave would pick any latest advice from LRH as the stable datum. Thus any words uttered by LRH became direct orders. This was part of LRH's slave-making mentality enforced by "correction" of the slaves with techniques like "overboarding", RPF, O/W write-ups, SP declares, disconnection.

Poor Miscavige was just the latest slave in position when Ron popped his clogs. He was already well trained in following LRH 's latest orders. There were a handful of such slaves, so inevitably, all believing they were the ones most following Ron's orders, there was a power battle rather than a co-operative, sane, group dynamic. This was inevitable given Ron's barmy legacy of "sole source". Each believed they were the most on-source.

Once DM won what was the poor hapless slave become slave-master to do? Why go through all LRH policies and advices and try to bring order into the confusion, of course!

This is why he ran Ron's organisation on secret advices and policies, because he had the inside track on what Ron really intended and he has been trying ever since to handle the Confusion that had spewed from his master.

By the very nature of Ron's slave hierarchy, the most ruthless slave was bound to bubble to the top, several other ruthless slaves like Jane Kember, had been busted previously.

Given his ruthlessness, his confusion, his indoctrination, DM was doomed to failure.

I belive all DM's most hated moves like book re-publishing, GAT, RTC and the Corporate structure are efforts by him to handle the confusion deliberately sowed by Ron. But now he has to do them without the Stable Data of new orders from Ron. Somehow he is "it" and has to wade through all these contradictions of Ron's and make sense of them.

A fate he probably thoroughly deserves!

Good twin

Floater
Funny how LRH said something about in order to really experience life one had to get out there and live it.

Too bad that was not Standing Order #1 and severely enforced.

I think of all the life that people in the Church and especially the Sea Org are missing out on.

Rd00

This is funny. Even Standing Order #1 is not enforced. Nor is First Policy. Yep very funny.....

Tim Skog

How dare you not follow LRH advice! :D

The lack of the brass band parade is the whole "why" for the current Scn situation! :hysterical:

Veda is right, poor Ron always had the secret intentions in place.

As to why "advices" are treated senior to policy - one needs to look at Ron's intentions as best as we can know them.

We know in the 30's/40's he had the intention to make men his slaves. We know by the late 60's he had created a cult where his devotees did whatever he said unquestioningly.

If it looks like a slave cult - it is a slave cult. From the SO creation onwards we had a group of devotees who robotically followed Command Intention in whatever medium he wrote it. To handle the contradictions and confusions that the vast LRH output caused in the reader, the reader would pick the latest issue from LRH as the stable datum. I believe this was a deliberate LRH misuse of the "Prior confusion" theory. He sowed the confusion to create the robotic following of orders.

So the poor hapless SO slave would pick any latest advice from LRH as the stable datum. Thus any words uttered by LRH became direct orders. This was part of LRH's slave-making mentality enforced by "correction" of the slaves with techniques like "overboarding", RPF, O/W write-ups, SP declares, disconnection.

Poor Miscavige was just the latest slave in position when Ron popped his clogs. He was already well trained in following LRH 's latest orders. There were a handful of such slaves, so inevitably, all believing they were the ones most following Ron's orders, there was a power battle rather than a co-operative, sane, group dynamic. This was inevitable given Ron's barmy legacy of "sole source". Each believed they were the most on-source.

Once DM won what was the poor hapless slave become slave-master to do? Why go through all LRH policies and advices and try to bring order into the confusion, of course!

This is why he ran Ron's organisation on secret advices and policies, because he had the inside track on what Ron really intended and he has been trying ever since to handle the Confusion that had spewed from his master.

By the very nature of Ron's slave hierarchy, the most ruthless slave was bound to bubble to the top, several other ruthless slaves like Jane Kember, had been busted previously.

Given his ruthlessness, his confusion, his indoctrination, DM was doomed to failure.

I belive all DM's most hated moves like book re-publishing, GAT, RTC and the Corporate structure are efforts by him to handle the confusion deliberately sowed by Ron. But now he has to do them without the Stable Data of new orders from Ron. Somehow he is "it" and has to wade through all these contradictions of Ron's and make sense of them.

A fate he probably thoroughly deserves!

Bolded

I almost feel sorry for the little blighter.:coolwink:

Been Done Had

Patron with Honors

Best
SP Declared

Here's a relevant older thread... http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?t=1432&highlight=Advices

The truth is there IS a hidden data line. Both on the tech side and on the policy side. I would find outpoints, find refs in the green vols, write it up and then be shown an SO issue that is contradictory and held as senior to public policy.

Scientology is compartmentalized, LRH seems to have modeled admin structure based on his exposure to intelligence methods -- Hiding black programs inside white programs, security clearances, public versions and classified versions of documents.

Like in the US Govt. today, the real policy isn't discussed in public but kept in vaults --National Security Counsel Directives cover the actual operations of the country.

Same with the tech. From reading older posts on this board, the it appears that powerful and effective incarnations of process have been watered down to give us the watered down mass market bridge.
:no:

Make it all public (or at least accessible to approved Scn scholars) throw all the pieces on the floor and rebuild it right. Or not.:confused2: