What's new

New Yorker Article and related links

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free
Could either of those pieces have been written in, say, 2005?

You mean based upon the impact of what was revealed?

Then yes, and articles equally damaging have come out over the years and will continue to do so.

Have you read up on all that has been written over the years? The Time Mag piece, SP times previous pieces that won them a pulitzer? There are thousands of damaging articles and really impacting ones done over the years, posted with links to them on several sites:

Scientology-related news from all over the Web
http://www.xenu-directory.net/webnews.php

FrontCite archive of Scientology in the media
Welcome to the FrontCite archive of Scientology in the media references with summaries of news articles, links to the source stories and citation information for use with Wikipedia.
See Timeline for a chronological list of articles.
http://home.primus.ca/~ronsharp/frontcite.html

Scientology now and then
http://www.xenu-directory.net/nowandthen.php

UmbalumTeapot

Patron with Honors
You mean based upon the impact of what was revealed?

Then yes, and articles equally damaging have come out over the years and will continue to do so.

Have you read up on all that has been written over the years? The Time Mag piece, SP times previous pieces that won them a pulitzer? There are thousands of damaging articles and really impacting ones done over the years, posted with links to them on several sites:

I'm more than familiar with all the historical stuff. Unfortunately the majority of non-scinos are not and never will be. Sure, there is nothing gobsmackingly new about any of the things in this new article; but it is reaching a far wider audience than any other piece has made before, imho.

Also, this particular news story reaches a new level of Sci-FootBulletry ever before seen. I feel bad for Tommy and hope he has a new toothbrush.

There a far, far more damming things documented on video in courts-of-law but, unfortunataley, they have been filed in the "pre-www" bin. They are not "sexy" and there was no W3 to post them on.

Such is life.
But today is a good day imo.

I wish all the "exes" everywhere all the best. :thumbsup:

Boojuum

Silver Meritorious Patron
Must read

This is an excellent, well-thought-out article. The writer bends over backwards in a clear attempt to be objective regarding Scientology.

Like the gristmill that moves slowly, it grinds finely.

There is much that the author could have included to make a far more sensational piece, yet he holds back and holds back and holds back. The effect is to decimate the credibility of Tommy Davis while destroying the image of David Miscavage. DM comes off as the hotheaded, ruthless and brutal leader of a tightly controlled semi-religious group with access to a great deal of money and access to Hollywood and lots and lots of disaffected ex-members.

Tommy Davis is portrayed as an energetic and dedicated man on a relentless mission to defend the church and to keep speaking and keep defending regardless of the facts, which repeatly prove him wrong.

Major lawsuits are discussed but not dwelt upon.

The idea of the Church of Scientology being very, very expensive is included but not dwelt upon.

LRH's war record is dealt with, fairly thoroughly.

An interesting point is that Haggis was greatly moved by the St. Pete Times article.

Transparency, transparency, transparency. Like an unstoppable force, the truth miners will continue to expose the cos for what it is. Every day it gets harder to hide what we all are. For good people, this is good. Otherwise, exposure ain't so good.

Maybe this will get the cos to clean up its act?

It's a massive, massive blow to the PR of Scientology.

NCSP

Patron Meritorious
So this OSA chick, Jeanne Basoon, posted this today:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/video/scientologists-scientology-12857048

Do you think they bought this time?

That is a little weird. But if you look at the main ABC News video page, it's not featured in any way, and if you do a search for Scientology, the Sci-produced videos are pretty well contextualized. (The Nightline ep. and two new Haggis stories appear ahead of them, and the Sci videos are labeled as such.)

ETA: Actually, on the ABC News homepage, Haggis is the #2 featured story in the main window! :)

AnonyMary

Formerly Fooled - Finally Free

Wow! it made the front page of the NY Post!! Not sure how long it will last there so I've added the direct link
http://www.newyorkpost.com/p/news/n..._church_of_scientology_kSbGUtASusUvxedbpIUgKM
Comment time everyone :)

added to the list: WSJ: The New Yorker’s Scientology Story: The Best Bits
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/02/07/the-new-yorkers-scientology-story-travolta-the-healer/

Last edited:

scooter

Gold Meritorious Patron
This is all very yummy coverage - cult must be feeling the heat now.

Shows just how timely the Feral-organized RPF raid in December was, eh? OSA must be shitting themselves now as they are very much under the spotlight.

Thanks for the links, folks - this has brightened my day considerably.

Happy Days

Silver Meritorious Patron
This is all very yummy coverage - cult must be feeling the heat now.

Shows just how timely the Feral-organized RPF raid in December was, eh? OSA must be shitting themselves now as they are very much under the spotlight.

Thanks for the links, folks - this has brightened my day considerably.

/\/\/\ this /\/\

On notice OSA or what :D:D:D

We know the Church human trafficks, we know they send Aussies to the US with dodgy visas to get round the red tape; Department of Immigration should be very alert to the Church's illegal operations.

They were going to send our girl, Jordi, over to the USA on a Visa that did not allow her to pull a living allowance from the Church, for 3 months because she was not allowed to work, although she would be at the Fort Harrison as a Hostess and working her little butt off.... Fiona was also sent to the USA and not on a Religious Visa she was not an auditor or minister she did all this when she was at Flag... so the deceit runs deep.

The Church wanted Wayne Peachey to remain in the USA when he was over there with his parents to do whatever training/correction he needed once the visit to see Fiona was over. He was on a 3 month visitor visa and didn't want to, but I'm sure as god made little green apples if he was in agreement with staying the Church would have used this type of Visa to their own ends.

Wake up Wayne Peachey and get our daughter home... :angry::angry::angry:

Freeminds

Bitter defrocked apostate
While it's true that there was little or nothing that was new to *us* in the New Yorker article, that's not the point. Scientology critique is mainstream now.

The sad irony of the so-called "Science of Knowingness" is that any halfway curious bystander can now learn more facts about poor old Ron and his works in 24 hours than a dedicated cultie will learn in two decades. As for what a journalist or scholar can do... wow.

The New Yorker's supplementary downloads were interesting. Not the content as such (I'd already seen most of those documents) but the fact that they provided them in parallel with the article itself. It's almost as if they've deliberately done the groundwork to allow other journalists to come and take a bite out of the Church of Scientology.

I think I sense the beginning of a feeding frenzy.

13. The horror story of Scientology chief's wife:
David Miscavage’s wife, Shelly, hired several people for jobs at Gold Base, without her husband's permission. Shortly thereafter she disappeared. When the New Yorker asked Scientology spokesperson Tommy Davis of her whereabouts he said, “I definitely know where she is.” He didn't elaborate.

Not "creepy", but "creepier". When even Piper Weiss from Shine/Yahoo is prepared to tear a lump off Scientology, I think we're heading into the final phase of the Cult.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
PTS, thanks for posting about the Tampabay article just out on Scobee et al being interviewd by the FBI. Great article!
http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?p=534328#post534328

You're welcome :yes:

Although it covered some new material I'm not sure whether it should have been in a seperate thread or not. :unsure:

I was just so excited at the time I posted it like that. :D

The mods can alway combine the threads if needed.

I saw a couple other prominent EX'es either yesterday or today mention on their FB pages that they also spoke to the FBI, but don't want to say whom they were without permission. :no:

I'm quite sure that neither of them would mind but don't want to assume.

Type4_PTS

Diamond Invictus SP
Interesting post by Marty........
He claims that the CoS DID know about the ongoing investigation for more than a year and that he's got doc's for about six dozen counts of Obstruction of Justice and Federal Witness Tampering for Miscavige's indictment.

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/more-on-fed-probe-into-miscavige/#comment-104702

"Mike Rinder pointed out yesterday the absurdity of the Sgt Shultz response of Tommy Davis (read David Miscavige) that “I see nothing, I hear nothing” when it comes to the FBI investigation. Well, there is a very good reason (from Dave’s perspective) for that “see no evil” response. The church has known about the FBI investigation for more than a year. They also have a roster of each and every witness the FBI has interviewed. Every time they sent their mosquitoes after myself, Mike Rinder, Amy Scobee, Jeff Hawkins, et al for the purposes of intimidation in the past year they knowingly committed a couple of fresh, new Federal crimes: Obstruction of Justice and Federal Witness Tampering. We have documentation for about six dozen counts for Miscavige’s indictment."