What's new

New Yorker Article and related links

FoTi

Crusader
Interesting post by Marty........
He claims that the CoS DID know about the ongoing investigation for more than a year and that he's got doc's for about six dozen counts of Obstruction of Justice and Federal Witness Tampering for Miscavige's indictment.

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/more-on-fed-probe-into-miscavige/#comment-104702

"Mike Rinder pointed out yesterday the absurdity of the Sgt Shultz response of Tommy Davis (read David Miscavige) that “I see nothing, I hear nothing” when it comes to the FBI investigation. Well, there is a very good reason (from Dave’s perspective) for that “see no evil” response. The church has known about the FBI investigation for more than a year. They also have a roster of each and every witness the FBI has interviewed. Every time they sent their mosquitoes after myself, Mike Rinder, Amy Scobee, Jeff Hawkins, et al for the purposes of intimidation in the past year they knowingly committed a couple of fresh, new Federal crimes: Obstruction of Justice and Federal Witness Tampering. We have documentation for about six dozen counts for Miscavige’s indictment."

This is cool. :thumbsup:

Go to Google, then "news", and this comes up (below).

The last line says 176 news articles. And still growing. :clap:

New Yorker Magazine Article Reveals FBI Probe of Scientology‎
Catholic Online - Randy Sly - 1 hour ago
This week's issue of the New Yorker magazine features a major exposé of the Church of Scientology as seen through the departure of film ...
Paul Haggis Criticism Elicits Church of Scientology Response‎ - CBS News
Paul Haggis and the New Yorker Scientology piece: What will be the ...‎ - Los Angeles Times
Paul Haggis on leaving Scientology: 'I was in a cult for thirty ...‎ - Washington Post
News One - PerezHilton.com
all 176 news articles »

Go to Google, then "news", and this comes up (below).

The last line says 176 news articles. And still growing. :clap:

New Yorker Magazine Article Reveals FBI Probe of Scientology‎
Catholic Online - Randy Sly - 1 hour ago
This week's issue of the New Yorker magazine features a major exposé of the Church of Scientology as seen through the departure of film ...
Paul Haggis Criticism Elicits Church of Scientology Response‎ - CBS News
Paul Haggis and the New Yorker Scientology piece: What will be the ...‎ - Los Angeles Times
Paul Haggis on leaving Scientology: 'I was in a cult for thirty ...‎ - Washington Post
News One - PerezHilton.com
all 176 news articles »

And the front page of this month's edition of the cult's rag will have a graph bragging about the increase in internet traffic to their website and increases of searches for Scientology on Google ... leaving out the minor detail of everyone who's goggling "Scientology is looking for a Jerry Springer-esque dysfunctional freakshow to entertain them.

Free to shine

Shiny & Free
This is Jeff Hawkin's take on it:

http://leavingscientology.wordpress...n’t-know-why-i-couldn’t-see-it”/#comment-7467

One of the most telling comments by Paul Haggis in the recent New Yorker article was this one: “Everyone else could see it. I don’t know why I couldn’t.”

It’s a question a lot of us have asked once we leave Scientology. “Why didn’t I see what was going on?”

In an interview today with NPR’s Terry Gross, Larry Wright was asked what impact he thought his article would have on Scientologists. His reply was very perceptive:

“It’s hard to measure, because we’re dealing with a religion,” he said, “and people are drawn to it because of faith. And if it were simply a matter of reason, then one could put this [document about Hubbard's service] down in front of you and say, ‘Here is conclusive proof that the founder of Scientology lied about his military record and lied about his injuries and lied about the fundamental principles out of which he created the Church of Scientology.’ But that may not matter to people who are involved in it, who may feel they are gaining something from their experience — either because they feel like the truths of Scientology enhance their lives or because the community of Scientologists that they live among is something like their family. So they intentionally shield themselves from knowing these types of things.”

They intentionally shield themselves. It’s an interesting way to put it. It really is a willful blindness.

As Orwell pointed out in his novel 1984, “mind control” isn’t really someone else controlling your thoughts, it’s you learning to control your own thoughts according to the group’s dictates. Members are expected to filter their perceptions, thoughts and attitudes through an ideological framework. And they do. Why? Because, as Wright points out, they value the community. They value the professed ideals of Scientology, the stated goals, the promised gains.

So if anything challenges their faith, their religion, they just won’t listen. They won’t look. And they have plenty of ready-made mechanisms that help them to do that:

If information comes from the Church or its leadership, for instance, it’s always true and good.

If it comes from those labeled by the Church as “enemies,” it’s always false and bad.

Anything critical of the Church is “entheta.”

Anyone critical of the Church “has overts.”

And those mechanisms snap into place as soon as they sniff anything that might challenge their beliefs, their faith, their protected bubble.

In can be frustrating. Because they simply will not look. They will not listen.

But more and more are looking.

And discovering the facts. And once they actually look at the information and confront the facts, they usually have the same thing to say:

“I don’t know why I couldn’t see it.”

OHTEEATE

Silver Meritorious Patron
my two cents

Some of these journalists are VERY well informed on Scientology; surprisingly so. One of the things this has led me to examine for myself, is the genesis of Dianetics and Scientology. There seem to be two versions. One, is what Hubbard thought would sound logical and acceptable by intelligent people, and the other is how he actually thought the tech up. The actual seems to involve insight he obtained during a dental operation, where he exteriorized and visited a place where he had access to the "Akashik Records", which I understand are a mythical collection of all knowledge, past , present and future. This he felt gave him sudden insight into how to solve mans problems or at least go about it. Then, he had to invent a scenario that did not involve drug hallucinations and fake some research, and write a lengthy article, and get it published by a buddy. He also had to gloss over some Magik cult involvement, a few too many wives, some dubious war record, and a failed education. Journalists have a way of digging this stuff up and presenting it dispassionately. It kind of lays there like a dead rat, and no one wants to dispose of it or admit it exists. I'm not expecting the FBI investigation to open any floodgates. I think the trickle of leaving old timers will continue and some will die off still straped in to the traces; still pulling that wagon to nowhere. Akashik records, my ass.

LA SCN

NOT drinking the kool-aid
good article by Hawkins

:thumbsup:

It's just so wild - in their quest for clear and ot, the true believers go totally reactive and can't see it: A=A=A - they lose the ability to analyze. It's a classic self generated ser fac - they don't want to analyze; if they did they find how stupid they've been.

I know I did, and glad of it. I still had time to salvage a life - mine.

Cherished

Silver Meritorious Patron
LATimes reference:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-mehlman-l.a.-20110424,0,6885881.story

At the place I lunch every day in an effort to cut down on life choices, I've been reading a Tolstoy-sized article in the New Yorker about Scientology. Nearly every day, some patron raids my airspace, saying something like, "I read that article." Eye roll, then, "What whack jobs."

L.A. finds Scientology so endlessly fascinating that weeks after publication, people are still talking about the article all over town.

moarxenu

Patron with Honors
Allen Barton and the Beverly Hills Playhouse - still cult run?

One thing about Lawrence Wright New Yorker fact-checking is this:

"Katselas died in 2008, and Scientology no longer has a connection with the Beverly Hills Playhouse."

This appears wrong to me because of Allen Barton.

Allen is a commenter at the conservative Pajamas Media TV (PJTV), and appears more libertarian than conservative. He is an accomplished classical pianist.

AND he is a Scientologist and the Executive Director of the Beverly Hills Playhouse. There is no indication he has blown the cult, though he appears to have been inactive for a while.

Could someone please confirm whether Scientology is still connected to the Beverly Hills Playhouse? Thanks.