What's new

Successes after leaving Scientology

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
One of the negative process run on people attempting to leave Scio, is that you will not survive without Scio.

Many, many people have achieved success after leaving Scio.

Possibly the most successful is now worth 5 to 8 Billion dollars. He also had 5 Ex-Presidents of major countries working for him. I believe he is the richest man in Canada.

Several of the ex-mission holders are now worth in the multi-millions. One who recently died was worth over a $Billion.

Several exes have written best sellers.

I know of two that have gone on and won several Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

All the above also have been very influencial in their fields.

Perhaps some of you can add to this list.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma

Con te partirò
Administrator
One of the negative process run on people attempting to leave Scio, is that you will not survive without Scio.

Possibly the most successful is now worth 5 to 8 Billion dollars. He also had 5 Ex-Presidents of major countries working for him. I believe he is the richest man in Canada.

Several of the ex-mission holders are now worth in the multi-millions. One who recently died was worth over a $Billion.

Several exes have written best sellers.

I know of two that have gone on and won several Wimbledon Tennis Championships.

All the above also have been very influencial in their fields.

Alan

Wimbledon Championships??? WOW!

Can you say who?

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
John Newcombe

He even wrote about his sessions in his book. I don't even know if he knew it was Scio......in those days we produced results on the client first.

No.1 player in world 3 times (1967,70-71); won Wimbledon 3 times and U.S. and Australian championships twice each.

John Newcombe was the last amateur to win Wimbledon in 1967 and won the tournament again as a professional in 1970 and 1971. His other grand slam tournament victories include two US titles in 1967 and 1973, two Australian titles in 1973 and 1975, and 17 doubles titles.

It was in singles, though, that Newcombe made his name. He and Rod Laver are the only players to win the men's singles at Forest Hills and Wimbledon as amateurs and pros. Newcombe was the last amateur champion at Wimbledon in 1967, and repeated in 1970 and 1971 during the open era.

I was in business at that early Scio time with Frank Sedgeman, Lew Hoad, Pancho Gonzales.......all Wimbledon winners.

Alan

Free2Dream

Patron with Honors
Thanks for this thread, Alan. It makes me feel better!

I remember standing outside the course room one afternoon with one of the course sups. We were sharing some wins and he was trying to give me encouragement. I was having some trouble with the course I was on and had nearly "blown." He told me "Don't leave Scientology. Bad things happen to people who leave. I've seen it." I didn't quite get what he meant, so I asked him to elaborate. He told me that people's lives go downhill, their businesses and careers fail, their families leave them...on and on. It sent chills down my spine.

I have discovered since I "blew" and decided to leave that I'm able to spend more time doing the things that I love. I have reignited my passion for learning, I'm not getting behind in my homework, and my grades are starting to come back up again! So much for the "bad things happen to those who leave" theory...

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron

Alan

The Canadian is Peter Munk......I met him and his wife Linda, in Torronto....in 1966, I stayed at his house.....He attended a Money Course I was teaching.

They had gone to Saint Hill for Grades and Power....he was very upset with how Scio had handled him and people he had sent to them...

I asked him a simple question......Were you processed against your goals?

He just fell apart....itsa-ed for about an hour on his goals.

We then spent the rest of the night planning how he could make it big....

Despite being an engineer, Munk's rise came from a career in business. He is Chairman and founder of Barrick Gold, the world's largest gold mining corporation. Munk was founder, Chairman and CEO of Trizec Corporation, now known as Trizec Properties (one of the largest U.S. REITs ? listed on the NYSE), where he remains Chairman.

I guess he followed the plan!!:) :)

Alan

Sky

Patron with Honors
Hi Alan,

I don't have any raving success story, but now that I've left I'm in a great relationship, have a job that I enjoy, and am spending more time with my family. I'm much happier!

I did talk to another ex-Scientologist who had been one of my students when I was in. She had been a struggling realtor, and hadn't been doing very well while in the church. Now she's out and her business is booming, she's got lots of time for her kids (whom she hardly ever saw while in) and says she is in much better shape now that she's out.

I haven't run into anyone who's out now and doing poorly...

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Hi Alan,

I don't have any raving success story, but now that I've left I'm in a great relationship, have a job that I enjoy, and am spending more time with my family. I'm much happier!

I did talk to another ex-Scientologist who had been one of my students when I was in. She had been a struggling realtor, and hadn't been doing very well while in the church. Now she's out and her business is booming, she's got lots of time for her kids (whom she hardly ever saw while in) and says she is in much better shape now that she's out.

I haven't run into anyone who's out now and doing poorly...

I think this is a great success story....

I could give 1000's of success stories of people who are much happier and much more prosperous than when they were in Scio.

Of course some of us adrenalin junkies feel let down if aren't saving the world or doing battle with some monsters or demons.

We miss our daily or hourly fixes.....Scio was always good for that! :D

Alan
________
K?ln

Last edited:

Sky

Patron with Honors
Of course some of us adrenalin junkies feel let down if aren't saving the world or doing battle with some monsters or demons.

We miss our daily or hourly fixes.....Scio was always good for that! :D

Alan

I have to admit I know what you mean. I do miss having the great feeling that I was making a difference in the world and that I was one of the ones at the forefront of making the planet a sane and happy place. Unfortunately it was all an illusion, and I was actually wasting my time and effort and life even.

I think that's one reason I post to this board. In addition to being able to just get my experience off my chest, I like the thought that maybe something I write will strike a chord with someone out there who's going through what I went through, and will help them.

There's definitely a high I get from helping people. I miss that.

Sky

Tachikoma

Patron
I have to admit I know what you mean. I do miss having the great feeling that I was making a difference in the world and that I was one of the ones at the forefront of making the planet a sane and happy place. Unfortunately it was all an illusion, and I was actually wasting my time and effort and life even.

I think that's one reason I post to this board. In addition to being able to just get my experience off my chest, I like the thought that maybe something I write will strike a chord with someone out there who's going through what I went through, and will help them.

There's definitely a high I get from helping people. I miss that.

Sky

One must reflect, I think, on exactly what a real "success" is, though. Certainly, one may look at a Forbes 500 list and say "success", but to me there is more to it than that. It is more than wealth and material objects.

Success can be very simple, very personal. It can be very individual also and not rely on the acknowledgment of anyone, but be something that you and only you feel good about. Plus, you have no idea how a little success can blossom into something that you may never even see...

As an example, I would call something as minuscule as giving a little old lady at the supermarket something as small as a quarter so she may get a shopping cart and letting her keep that quarter a "success". Right there, I have helped someone else who may have had to struggle without. At a later time, she may actually need that quarter which was intended for such a small purpose to make the difference in purchasing something that she truly needs. You would never know it, but what started as a small kindness, blossomed into something that made a difference, and it started so small.

Such a thing, to me, is success. Success in being a human being.

jodie

Patron with Honors
Success can be very simple, very personal. It can be very individual also and not rely on the acknowledgment of anyone, but be something that you and only you feel good about. Plus, you have no idea how a little success can blossom into something that you may never even see...

As an example, I would call something as minuscule as giving a little old lady at the supermarket something as small as a quarter so she may get a shopping cart and letting her keep that quarter a "success". Right there, I have helped someone else who may have had to struggle without. At a later time, she may actually need that quarter which was intended for such a small purpose to make the difference in purchasing something that she truly needs. You would never know it, but what started as a small kindness, blossomed into something that made a difference, and it started so small.

Such a thing, to me, is success. Success in being a human being.

God yes. That is it exactly. Success in being a human being.

That "indicates" to me. ;)

In quite a few cases (not all), exes need to recover their humanity. And that is not easy depending on the individual circumstances. And several others managed to retain their humanity just fine. So it varies.

But you hit the nail on the head here. Alan is correct in focusing on the material aspect because that was one of the ideas implanted at the orgs - if you leave, your life will go downhill, you will become a DB (degraded being) and so on. But it is not the only aspect. You can have as much money as you need and more, and be as miserable as hell.

So thanks for adding to the hologram of success. :)

- jodie

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Failing my way to Success

A long time ago before Scio I had a massive fear of failure.

One day I realized that failure meant I was in the game as a player - but I had too many "unknowns" to win.

Much of this realization came as a result of playing sports.

Once I realized there were "unknowns" my fears tend to vanish. As I handled my "unknowns" I began to enjoy my failures. It meant a new area to study and master.

Most of us leave Scio feeling we were failures....I know I did.

Look at what was "unknown" to us about LRH, MSH, the GO, the CMO, the SO, the Orgs. Is it any wonder we failed.

What a destructive act it is when you observe something not correct or downright destructive and you tell it to an Exec -then they say to you go write up your O/W's.....thank God the internet came into being.

I know I and many others started a process running that began to bring to view those "unknowns"......it started during the Mission Holders meetings at Flag.....it led to more and more Organizational crimes coming to view.....it led to 35,000 people leaving Scio between 1982 and 1983......

Bill Franks asked me to recover the "old timers" - I refused unless certain reforms would be implemented..............those reforms began to get implemented......then DM reneged on them....that started the schism.

Big successes are composed of lots of little successes.

Masterpieces are composed of mastered pieces.

Enjoy you failures.....learn from them.....those sky high dreams will come back.

Tell your story......you'll be amazed how relieved you will be. Not only that you are helping others see the truth.....

Alan

jodie

Patron with Honors
A long time ago before Scio I had a massive fear of failure.
[...]
Big successes are composed of lots of little successes.

Masterpieces are composed of mastered pieces.

Enjoy you failures.....learn from them.....those sky high dreams will come back.

Tell your story......you'll be amazed how relieved you will be. Not only that you are helping others see the truth.....

Alan

Yes, excellent. I cannot recall the author, but a very nice phrase is:

"Within each failure lies the seeds of future success".

:)

- jodie

S

Sten-Arne

Yes, excellent. I cannot recall the author, but a very nice phrase is:

"Within each failure lies the seeds of future success".

:)

- jodie

"In every failure lies the seeds of success."
- Deepak Chopra

programmer_guy

True Ex-Scientologist
I had no fear of failure after I left.

I appreciated my new found freedom.

I completed my college degree in applied mathematics in computer science and became an embedded systems software engineer.

Last edited:

Romuva

Patron Meritorious
I was in Sci ,briefly but I can say from my experience you can still
try to make a difference out there if you get sastifaction helping
others.For me,understanding idealistic goals and actually trying to make
improvements in peoples lives are big differences,just my opinion.

I can't go into details here about some of the stuff I do.I just don't
feel comfortable posting stuff lurkers might read.If it were better
circumstances ,I would just tell people.I don't have a problem with
that.Actually ,I help my family out in another country.that I can say.

but all I can say is I know I have made a difference in some peoples
lives and I know for a fact had I still been in Sci ,none of the stuff
I do now would of been possible.

This is a good thread Alan and what you wrote made alot of sense to me.
but reading about ex-members lives and how they moved on is good
perspective for me.

Last edited:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
Thanks jodie and Romuva,

I have spent the majority of my life helping people be more successful including myself.

To run a successful Mission it was vital that your students be successful in life.

Most people are actually afraid to be successful.

Much of that is due to the programming they receive in school and from their parents.

The important things for success are not taught in schools. Unless you want to be a job holder.

It is much worse in EU, USSR, and Commonwealth countries as the people in power want workers.

The US is much more open to success than any other country I have visited or lived in. Though it is no longer as free as it was when I arrived in 1964.

Success depends on the ability to stay focused on your Prime Goal.

The problem with most ex-Scio's is their Prime Goals has been devastated, and other goals have been super-imposed over theirs, of course so have most people in life.

Alan

Romuva

Patron Meritorious
E.U./former SSR

Alan,you make alot of good points and finding success or true happiness
in life ,I feel is a very valid argument.

I can only say ,from my experience where I deal with people that are in
real poverty (were talking 50-100 euro a month in some cases) .Everybody
is just looking for a better future and any means in order to do that.
If you're interested in better housing ,raising a family,education.ect.
The optimum goal would be to try and stay in your native country and
do that but it's very difficult.

It also doesn't help ones morale when they see major sources of employment such as old
state factories closing or the new industries not very promising.My cousin's wife is a good example.She works harder now as a seamstress working for an American clothes company
than she ever did under soviet times. and there are always more Ukrainians and Belorussians
who are willing to take her job for less.

It's tough just being a worker in alot of those countries.Alot like the third-world.plus keep
in mind you still have alot of the soviet mindset.People say "Yeah the soviet union ended"
but in reality the way people still live hasn't changed.It will probably take a generation or
so to gradually move on with that.

Whether that is working for one's self or somebody else isn't always a
priority as much as just getting ahead.In cases where people actually do want to
start a businesses,they may have the independence to some extent but
are still faced with the challenging or difficult market thay are dealing with.
There may be other factors as well.

It's not to say you can't overcome difficulties or problems.I agree.There's always
room for improvement or betterment.

I just feel it's how you go about it.Americans and westerners often are from a different
perspective.

Exploitation is another concern of mine,it doesn't matter what it is.

Last edited:

Alan

Gold Meritorious Patron
You are absolutely correct Romuva.

But you can change a whole nation if you put your mind and soul to it.

It isn't doing the big things, it is doing the little day to day things.

It is educating people on the true things or areas they need to be educated on.....

"Perhaps some of you would like to say what are the most important things that people should be educated on?"

In third world countries the education system is designed to control, cut reach and enslave people.

The Gov. policies are designed to control, cut reach and enslave people.

Almost all major groups on this planet use policies and processes to control, cut reach and enslave people.

Almost all people are trained and educated to control, cut reach and enslave people.

All taxation systems are designed to control, cut reach and enslave people.

These are the major negative processes being run throughout the world.

To undo this programming may take centuries.

Luckily we have the internet which is passing an immense amount of knowledge and know-how across all borders.

As the people throughout the world become more literate there will be massive evolutions.

But almost everyone on this planet is "positive word and concept" illiterate.

"If you can't define it, you can't have it." It is as simple as that.

Alan